Classic TV Listings

Today’s TV, 1 May 1986, Melbourne.

Have to say look at the Aussie dramas, and on a Thursday night.

Sons & Daughters on Seven, Prime Time on Nine.
Neighbours, Return To Eden and Prisoner on Ten.
and even The Girl From Steel City on SBS.

3 Likes

Yet probably the only program many would have discussed at length is tucked away at 11:15PM, although there was no guarantee you’d find out who was lining up for your team that weekend. Amazingly Lou (in his 90s now) has outlasted Jack (died before heritage round in 2003) and Bob (passed away not long after the 2009 premiership win).

2 Likes

Gotta tune in for the pancake contest!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Seven obviously had a hole in their programming schedule. Having Kingswood Country reruns on at 3 in the afternoon. Then a couple of years later again at 10am

Kind of a kin to Nine sticking on episodes of All Together Now at 5:30am in the early 2000s

I think Channel 7 used to run lots of filler re-runs in the daytimes in those days. They probably figured it was a lost cause trying to put anything significant up against Nine’s Midday/Days Of Our Lives/Young And The Restless lineup :stuck_out_tongue:

The one time Seven did try to outdo Nine in the daytime (The Bert Newton Show/The Power The Passion) backfired tremendously

2 Likes

Just like anything Nine tried up against Deal Or No Deal

1 Like

… until Hot Seat…

2 Likes

Today’s TV, Saturday 7 May 1983, Melbourne from TV Week:

SBS (Channel 0/28) was running another series of test transmissions from production organisation Open Channel, which would be a predecessor to the community TV stations that would later pop up. Open Channel is still going today and is a training and production partner with C31.

And the same day’s listing from the “Country” edition, but if you were lucky enough to get Channel 0/28 from Melbourne (though, from my experience it was never likely… you were probably more likely to see TVQ0 from Brisbane!) you had to find it listed elsewhere as TV Week never put it in the country edition back then:

3 Likes

What channel did u watch it on, 0 or 28?

No VFL Football on AMV Albury?

Interesting that SES Mt Gambier had the VFL, but RTS Riverland had the SANFL coverage…

We just watched SBS on 0 because it was already preset on the TV from ATV days and we never had an issue with reception of that channel in Melbourne. We didn’t switch up to 28 until after Channel 0 closed off. Found out we didn’t need a flash new antenna for UHF as our ancient aerial on the roof picked it up fine.

I thought maybe AMV delayed their replay to Sunday but no they broadcast live the Sydney Swans game on Sunday afternoon.

I guess VFL fans in town just had to make do with the Saturday night replay and The Winners on ABC.

Also noticed too that there was no VFA coverage on ATV10 on the Sunday afternoon. Maybe there was no TV coverage of the competition that year?

2 Likes

That might help explain the number of Shepparton VHF antennas I remember seeing in Albury last time I was there.

What sort of different antenna was needed? I guess with the heritage Albury channels being 1 and 4 perhaps a different antenna was needed to pick up Channel 6 on VHF Band III?

But it is true that all those years ago before TV came to Albury that residents could pick up the Shepparton channels probably without too much hassle. The Border Morning Mail used to publish TV listings not just for ABGV3 and GMV6 for Shepparton but also for RVN2 Wagga Wagga in case they were picked up from within Albury.

Albury TV signals were horizontally polarised, Shepparton was vertical.

1 Like

Think it was finals only in 83/84, then full season coverage in 85/86 before dropping it altogether in 1987 (ABC did some finals when it didn’t clash with the VFL finals, as they were the only channel carrying the expanded competition in Victoria in 1987, before starting full time coverage from 1988).

1 Like

odd that AMV didn’t carry Saturday night Seven’s Big League unlike the other Victorian regionals, but their sister station RVN in Wagga had the VFL Match of the Day live on Saturday afternoons. Perhaps the rule of no live coverage of Melbourne VFL games on Saturday afternoons in Victoria was the reason why AMV (and the other regionals) didn’t carry it live. But AMV did show World of Sport and Sydney Swans home games on Sundays. AMV’s different programming on early Saturday nights was a point of difference and an alternative to Seven’s Big League on GMV6.

1 Like

Yes the regionals were bound by the same restrictions as HSV. Same used to apply to the Melbourne Cup too, no live coverage into Victoria, before ATV0 scored exclusive rights in 1978.

1 Like

There used to be quite a lot of rivalry between GMV6 and AMV4 in the pre-aggregation days. they had a large spill-over area and towns such as Wangaratta, Beechworth, Yarrawonga, Benalla, Rutherglen, and Corowa and both stations were local to these areas. AMV never took many of the other Victorian Regional stations’ programmes such as Thursday Night Live with Fred Fargher, Breezin’, Showbiz 82 (a talent quest similar to National Star Quest but restricted to Victoria), Sounds Like Country and other programmes common to BTV, BCV/GLV/STV and GMV. Instead AMV was linked to RVN Wagga. There were many shows that AMV took that were never on GMV and vice versa, and BTV, BCV and GMV had quite a lot of common programming with many shows simultaneously screened on all, but AMV took some of these shows at different days and times than on GMV.

1 Like

According to this thread on Big Footy: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/victorian-football-telecasts-database.1114547/#post-43281053 ATV10’s last full season of VFA was 1981. Also worth noting, there’s a fair bit of footage on Youtube of various state and regional football leagues which would interest many on this forum.

1 Like

Hey Hey on Saturday mornings.
I lived in Wide Bay at this time and when it began there (1982 maybe) we got it two weeks after the original date it aired. I think the first year it was 8.30am then the next year it was around 10.30 after the local station (SEQ) started their own children’s show at 8am.
IIRC viewers in Rockhampton got Hey Hey 6 weeks after the original date it aired.

4 Likes