Classic TV Listings

I think they were only overnight on Friday and maybe Saturday nights. WIN4 did have very extended late hours on other nights until about 2 or 3am as it was catering to the large number of shift workers in the area and would time-shift some of its earlier evening programs with late night repeats.

2 Likes

Interesting that ABC Victoria and Tasmania ran slightly different schedules (well shows in particular timeslots). I guess we were still a while away from full networking.

1 Like

Makes sense. Mind you the NBN service area had and still has it’s fair share of shiftworkers.

That is interesting as I don’t recall NBN broadcasting all night at all until aggregation began in 1992.

There was nothing stopping NBN from doing the same but they obviously didn’t see a business case for it.

Today’s TV, 22 April 1992, for Melbourne.

Easter was the previous Sunday so this would have been a “non-ratings” week, however Seven still decided to run its mini-series Good Vibrations. Maybe they didn’t think it was very good???

Source: TV Week

4 Likes

Oh I do miss reading the late Ivan Hutchinson’s reviews in TV Week.

2 Likes

Callsigns as late as 1992?

I miss the old black and white TV listings

1 Like

Yep up until 1993

1 Like

Ten years ago:

Source: TV Week

I don’t remember hating The Rich List, as lame as its premise was.

For more cringeworthy stuff there was The Catch-Up, Big Brother Up Late and Quizmania

Difference Of Opinion on ABC seems like a more intelligent discussion than the show that occupies that timeslot now

5 Likes

Not a bad Monday lineup. I probably watched Simpsons, Big Brother, South Park and Pizza. So much variety in programming despite only 5 channels.

1 Like

Now they just spread out the same stuff over 15 channels

3 Likes

Looks like this was part of the (short) period that Seven was airing the failed US MyNetworkTV Telenovelas at 11am. Always seemed like a strange choice but I guess they were trying to make the most of the Fox output deal at the time.

*Dr Phil and Entertainment Tonight on Nine, both of which would later switch to Ten (infact, I think Dr Phil moved networks just a few months after this schedule)
*Ten (!) was the only network to have an Early News bulletin at the time, with Seven and Nine joining in about 18 months later.
*Late night news bulletins still airing on Nine and Ten.
*The ABC airing children’s programs from 6am to 10am (or until 11am if the educational shows count) and again from 3pm until 6pm.

Wow that is certainly a rather interesting schedule to look back on ten years later!

Also interesting is that the listings indicated which programs would be shown in HD. With the networks recently returning to main channel HD channel simulcasts (albeit in MPEG4 this time), I wonder why we don’t get that in the TV guides these days.

2 Likes

ABC’s line-up looks unchanged except for a change of name for Q&A.

2 Likes

Children’s programs occupied ABC’s morning schedule which is now moved to ABCkids/ABC3.

ABC’s Children Programming on ABC is now a part of history

1 Like

Today’s TV, 28 April 1980, for Brisbane:

Includes Paul Bongiorno, I guess presenting the weather, for Eyewitness News.

Followed by the talent show The Have A Go Show, which was a TVQ0 production. Can’t recall if it was shown outside of Brisbane.

Even though The Young Doctors and The Sullivans were half-hour productions, QTQ9 screened them in 2 x one-hour episodes a week. Although the big “news” in this week’s TV Week was that The Sullivans, following poor ratings in Sydney, was being dumped from its 7.00pm weeknight slot in Sydney and Melbourne and to be replaced by a new quiz show to be hosted by Bert and Patti Newton.

Well TV Week’s “scoop” was not quite correct. The new quiz show to go in at 7.00pm was Sale Of The Century, while the Bert and Patti quiz show, Superquiz, was to launch as a weekly show in 1981.

TV Week also notes some broad observations on the ratings: 60 Minutes is now the most popular TV show in Australia, while The Sullivans which a year before was a solid #1 was now down to about 4th or 5th.

The other ratings observation concerned the Ten Network. TEN10 was winning ratings surveys in Sydney but its Melbourne sister ATV10 was running a poor third. Even though in programming terms the two stations would be fairly similar. Seems that spending all that money to convert from Channel 0 wasn’t paying immediate dividends :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Jacki doing the TVQ Breakfast Show and Bernard King’s Show from WIN in the morning as well in the Have A Go Show.

Because networks consider everything to be in HD these days, even when is upscaled.

And it would be confusing to the average viewer to have HD next to some programs ONLY when the whole channel is supposed to be HD.

1 Like