Classic TV Listings

Friday 7.3.1997 for Melbourne. The Sydney Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras is broadcast on commercial TV for the first time with a delayed 90-minute telecast on Ten.

The broadcast was almost a week after the event, and hosted by Tottie Goldsmith. I seem to recall Bob Downe was also involved but maybe not as a co-host.

2 Likes

Seinfeld Uncut

Didn’t realise some Seinfeld eps were classified M! Can’t imagine they have that problem these days.

Also Nightline airing about as late as it ever did on that evening.

1 Like

The 4am Saturday slot on Ten brings back memories. Some good shows were hidden away there.

4 Likes

What was Monday to Friday with Greg Evans?

chat and advertorial show. Evans’ co-host was Joan Hardy who used to be Joan McInnes who appeared on various TV shows in the 1970s and '80s including Today and hosting 'Til Ten.

Joan Hardy is now Lady Joan Hardy as her husband James Hardy was knighted.

1 Like

Also new eps of Frasier on Fridays?

Quite a few famous Ten shows of the late 90s and early 2000s ended their runs on the network in that slot.

1 Like

Sounds like The Daily Edition shudders. So that’s where Seven stole that idea from.:slight_smile:

Yep. 4am (more like 4:15am due to lack of commercials) Saturday was where shows go to die.

Such as odd timeslot which managed to survive nearly 20 years. We need someone to do a list of every show that aired in that slot :slight_smile:

I think reruns of Prisoner got that ball rolling but it used to run at 4am every morning or at least 5 days a week. Took them 2 years or so to get through all 692 episodes.

1 Like

If I recall correctly these episodes were advertised as Seinfeld the Black Label collection

1 Like

With GWN7 celebrating its 50th anniversary, here’s a look at WA TV from Thursday 29 March 1973!
Source: TV Week-WA edition

ABC
8.00 Sesame Street
9.05 For Schools: Health "Keeping Food Clean"
9.25 Play School
9.55 For Schools: English "Hamlet: The Readiness is All"
10.45 For Schools: History 1917-1967 "Lenin’s Revolution"
11.10 For Schools: Behind the News
11.30 For Schools: Geography "Physiography of WA: The Darling Ranges"
12.10 For Schools: Guten Tag Wie Geht’s
12.30 For Schools: Hold Down a Chord
1.00 For Schools: Art Around Us "Sculpture"
1.25 For Schools: Here in the West
1.50 For Schools: Art of the Film "The Film as Communication"
2.20 For Schools: Making Music "The Turtle Drum"
2.40 For Schools: Seeing & Doing "Glass Manufacture"
3.00 For Schools: We Play Recorders
3.20 Flowerpot Men "Bellows"
3.35 Play School
4.00 Adventure Island
4.25 Sesame Street
5.20 Cattanooga Cats
6.05 Ensign O’Toole "Operation Physical"
6.30 GTK
6.40 Bellbird
6.55 Dog Training (Perth, Geraldton, Carnarvon)
6.55 Regional News (other regions)
7.00 News/Newsreel
7.25 Weather
7.30 This Day Tonight
8.00 Dad’s Army "Getting the Bird"
8.30 Search for the Nile “The Great Debate” (A)
9.30 Mid-Evening News
9.35 Cousin Bette “Family Angel” (AO)
10.20 Around Folk
10.50 Weather
10.52 close

TVW7 Perth
10.00 Kindy
10.30 Here’s Humphrey
11.30 Beauty & the Beast, pt 1
noon Movie “No Down Payment” (AO)
2.00 Days of Our Lives (A)
2.30 Temptation
3.30 Beauty & the Beast, pt 2
4.00 Children’s Seven
4.05 Perils of Penelope "North Pole Peril"
4.40 Tarzan "Day of the Golden Lion"
5.45 Family Affair “Family in Paradise” (pt 2)
6.20 Tom’s Bingo
6.30 News/Weather
7.00 Stars of the Future "Pick of the Pops"
7.30 News Headlines
7.35 Please Sir “Old Fennian’s Day” (A)
8.15 On the Buses “The Best Man” (A)
8.40 News Headlines
8.45 Homicide "Lover Boy"
9.45 The Bold Ones “The Doctors: Crisis” (A)
10.45 Burke’s Law “Who Killed Cornelius Gilbert?” (A)
11.45 Greatest Fights of the Century
mid. close

STW9 Perth
10.30 Marvellous Munchkin
11.00 Junior World
11.30 Magic Circle Club
noon General Hospital (A)
12.30 Movie “Stranger in My Arms” (A)
2.15 Peyton Place (A)
2.45 Three on a Match
3.15 Password
3.45 Tom & Jerry Cartoon Club
4.30 Man from UNCLE "The Round Table Affair"
5.30 Get Smart "Witness for the Execution"
6.00 News/Weather
6.30 Gilligan’s Island "Three Million Dollars or Less"
7.00 New Moneymakers
7.30 News Headlines
7.35 Marcus Welby, MD “Labyrinth” (A)
8.35 Dr. Murray Banks: What to Do Until the Psychiatrist Comes
9.35 Movie “The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari” (AO)
11.30 My Name’s McGooley "Yes, Sir, That’s My Baby"
mid. close

BTW3 Bunbury/GSW9 Albany
5.30 Popeye Cartoon
5.35 Bugs Bunny
6.00 Wells Fargo "Doc Dawson"
6.25 News
6.35 Partridge Family "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Partridge"
6.59 Weather
7.00 $25,000 Great Temptation
7.30 MAS*H "I Hate a Mystery"
8.00 On the Buses “The Inspector’s Pet” (A)
8.30 Number 96
9.00 Nichols “Gilley vs Hansen” (A)
9.55 Theatre of the Stars “Time for Elizabeth” (A)
10.45 Point of View
10.50 News/close

VEW8 Kalgoorlie
6.05 Batman "The Curse of Tut"
6.30 News/Weather
6.40 McHale’s Navy "Scuttlebutt"
7.05 Flying Nun "Papa Carlos"
7.30 Iron Horse "T is for Traitor"
8.25 Division 4 "So It’s a Living"
9.20 Sporting World
10.20 Program Summary
10.25 close

1 Like

I wonder what was the point of splitting Beauty And The Beast, a one-hour program, into 2 parts.

Thursday 17 March 1966, from TV Week “NSW edition”.

Sydney and Wollongong are listed together:

And Newcastle (NBN3 and ABHN5) was listed in a separate section:

2 Likes

probably more timely a few days ago but anyway here is Friday 12 March 1982 from TV Week “Southern NSW” edition which also included (for some reason) NBN3 – possibly just to fill up a spare column.

Also included were Victorian stations GMV6, AMV4 and ABC Victoria given their significant coverage overlap into NSW

This particular night was the TV Week Logie Awards and curiously all stations are showing varying end times for the event, which I guess translated to they really had no idea when the show was supposed to end and most likely went overtime anyway.

4 Likes

Also interesting that all the regional stations showed Sale of Century at 7. I wonder if they were all showing the same episode, though …

In the earlier years I’d say they weren’t the same episode… only because I remember watching an early ep on BCV8 around 1980 or 81 but recognised it as one I’d seen earlier in Melbourne. As the years progressed the regionals may have caught up or just chopped out a chunk of eps to sync up with the metros.

Those days saw Nine shows like The Mike Walsh Show, 60 Minutes and Sale Of The Century pretty much shown across all regionals. Nine probably offered a good price for a bulk number of stations which would have helped them secure national sponsors… such as BHP which used to sponsor 60 Minutes.

1 Like

TV listing for Monday 20.3.1989 for Brisbane, the launch of Seven’s The Bert Newton Show and daytime soap The Power The Passion:

Source: Sunday Sun TV Extra (Brisbane)

Of course both new shows didn’t have a great run. The Bert Newton Show (which marked his return to regular TV after nearly 4 years) struggled to get rating shares higher than 2s or 3s up against The Midday Show which was getting 18s or 19s (or higher).

The Power The Passion got similar ratings to Bert Newton’s show and was soon bumped from its daytime slot to late nights to allow The Bert Newton Show to take up the full 1.5 hours to go up against Midday.

The Power The Passion featured a few well known faces, such as George Mallaby, Jill Forster, Kevin Miles, Alan Cassell and Jane Clifton and did at least manage to score one “discovery”, that of model turned actor Julian McMahon who of course went on to greater things.

The failure of The Power The Passion was the last of a handful of daytime soaps attempted by Australian TV - or Seven in particular. They all had spectacularly short lives, seems that Aussie audiences would have much preferred the vaseline-lensed daytime soaps from the US.

4 Likes

Thanks for these. What was “TV AM” on 7?

From what I’ve read in the past it was a business news/news program.

10 still on the left hand side of the listing a year after they switched from the other side of the dial?
Also surprised that the networks were still attempting locally produced daytime soaps that late on considering US daytime soap figures had peaked in the early 80s, quite some time prior.