Classic TV Listings

This Day, 10 February, in 1997. Source: TV Week.

Kerri-Anne is back for a second year of Midday.

Rob Elliott has taken over from Tony Barber’s disastrous run as host of Wheel Of Fortune.

Sale Of The Century, Healthy Wealthy And Wise and In Melbourne Tonight are back for a new ratings year.

And, look, no Simpsons on Channel Ten! MASH and The Nanny surround Neighbours.

And not sure why the double episode of Blue Heelers outside of its regular Tuesday timeslot. (It was on again for its normal hour episode the next night)

4 Likes

They could never keep Simpsons off weeknights for long. :slight_smile: According to this, it was back in the 7pm slot by June 97.

A golden era of television with just one breakfast program (Today) and one morning show (GMA). How did those formats become popular again? :frowning:

1 Like

The obsession with news was months away from becoming reality with events like Thredbo (Stuart Diver) and Princess Di still to occur in 1997. Plus the informercial had really yet to become mainstream.

1 Like

GMA raked in millions of dollars for Channel Ten with its advertorials. It was inevitable that Nine and Seven would eventually follow suit.

There had long been two breakfast shows during the 1980s, the original GMA and Today. And for a year or so Seven tried with TVAM. But then GMA was cancelled, with the title going across to the mid-morning show, and Today was on its own really until Seven decided to beef up Sunrise from just a one-hour news bulletin.

ABC did try breakfast news for a little while with First Edition which was only a half-hour bulletin at 7am. It didn’t last that long. For a while ABC also used to run early morning repeats of the previous night’s 7.30 Report.

Here’s another one, Monday 12 February 1979, Melbourne from TV Week:

1 Like

Friday 17 February 1961, Melbourne, from TV Times.

The debut of Consider Your Verdict, Australia’s first one-hour series drama. Produced at the HSV7 “Teletheatre” in Fitzroy and was Crawford Productions’ first TV drama.

Interesting, too, to see the original The Twilight Zone…on ABC.

1 Like

Interesting that the guide lists ABC’s presentation announcer just before 5pm. I’m guess she just read out the night’s programming, like what they still do in the UK…

Sydney TV listing for Monday June 2 1980 courtesy of Sydney Sun-Herald Google archives, the documentary “Death of A Princess” airs on ATN7, it was so controversial many regional TV stations of the time refused to air it.

SBS used to have continuity announcers as well during the 1980s. In SBS’ case it was intended as a way for presenters to give uninitiated viewers some context for whatever foreign language shows were to follow.

Basia Bonkowski and Silvio Rivier started at SBS as such presenters and I imagine they were multi tasking as subtitlers as well :wink:

1 Like

NBC has renewed Days Of Our Lives for its 52nd season.

This looks to be the earliest reference to it I can find for Melbourne, listed in TV Times on 25 March 1968:

Via Google News archive, the earliest appearance I can find for the show in Sydney is on Tuesday 13 August 1968 on TCN9. The previous day’s edition which was Monday, and would have possibly mentioned the new show in SMH’s weekly TV guide, is not on the archive.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=9bEpAAAAIBAJ&sjid=_OYDAAAAIBAJ&pg=964%2C3959903

Of course Nine let the show go in April 2013 after 45 years.

1 Like

Tomorrow’s TV: 25.2.1975, Melbourne from the Listener In-TV.

This was only a few days before the full changeover to colour and TV stations were restricted in this last week of Black and White television to only have test colour programs during the daytime. After 6.00pm was to be completely B&W so as to increase the impact of “C-Day” on 1 March.

4 Likes

I notice The Mike Walsh Show as still on O in that year.

Looking back, what was the point of the restrictions on test colour programming before C day?

The Mike Walsh Show didn’t move to 9 until 1977. Apparently the big carrot that 9 waved at Walsh was the promise of doing the show live to air, whereas the show was pre-taped days in advance at TEN10. I imagine 9 had a lot more dollars to splurge too, i can’t imagine Ten being as generous

Restrictions were placed on colour test programming so as to have a uniform changeover nationally and industry-wide and to have a big impact rather than just phase in programming gradually as happened overseas.

How long did the ABC 6-7pm line up last with My Favorite Martian, GTK and Bellbird?

Not sure about My Favourite Martian but GTK went from 1969 until about 1975, and Bellbird from 1967 to 1977.

Bellbird was 4 x 15 minute episodes a week for most of its run but towards the end it changed to 25 minute episodes

1 March 1975, the first full day of colour TV.

This is Melbourne’s listing courtesy TV Week:

Channels 2, 7 and 0 had all broadcast overnight from Friday.

Channels 2, 7 and 9 all filled the afternoon with sport and the evening included special events Colour It Music on ABC and the Moomba Opening Concert on 9.

Channel 7 had its usual Penthouse Club including Tattslotto at 9.30pm.

Channel 0’s late movie was 1001 Nights which the “AO” classification indicates this was an animation not meant for children :wink:

4 Likes

Peter Hitchener remembers the date well :grinning:

1 Like

Here’s a listing that’s a little different.

From the same issue of TV Week as above, the GLV10 program guide that appeared in the pages after the Melbourne listings.

Programs up to 28 February are in black and white unless indicated, and in colour from 1 March.

So GLV10 signed-off before the switchover to colour?

I imagine most regional stations did.

From The Age archive on Google, this is the country TV lineup in Victoria on Friday 28 February 1975:

Source: https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=u9JaAAAAIBAJ&sjid=NJIDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3322%2C5903250

1 Like

I thought that that back in my days they have DOOL rated M @ 2Pm.