Classic Commercials

my wifes cousin is. she was part of the australian girls choir.

1 Like

Also known as the inspiration for Carlton Draught’s “Big Ad”

Here’s a few from Big W, Kmart and Target that I always remember well:

2 Likes
3 Likes

Australia television’s greatest spruiker.

4 Likes

More John Laws commericals:

5 Likes

Sega World Sydney commercials from 1998:

6 Likes

this is from the late 80’s or early 90’s in melboune - one i remember from my childhood

2 Likes

It had to be late 1980s. The Met was merged with State Transport Authority (V/Line) to form Public Transport Corporation in 1989.

The Met branding was around through to the Late 90’s…

There were slight variation to The Met branding itself. During the late 80s, The Met had a full stop after the letter t, and “an authority of Victoria Transport” underneath it as shown in the clip above. After the merger with V/Line, both the full stop and subheading were dropped.

1 Like

i did some more reaserch and it seems this advert is from approx 1988 or so

This ad was from the early 2000s (I believe) and still ran for over 15 years, at least in Canberra. While this version appears to be from Orange, I believe the Canberra one had a longer scroll that slightly “squished” the footage for the majority of the ad until the “menu booklet” closed with location information added.

1 Like

Now sadly closed of course. It was good.

I remember going to Pancakes on the Rocks shortly after it opened in 1975, and I have gone back sporadically over the years. Found an ad on YouTube:

The food featured in that ad looked absolutely disgusting, hopefully the taste was much nicer…

1 Like

That was considered fine dining in the 1970s. :wink:

1 Like

Never mind, found that one on YouTube:

The ad at 4:44 for a ‘stitch-ems’ tie-in for Vita-Brits and Krispies cereals features some frankly obscene themes for the time this aired in 1977 - showing “this way up [featuring a graphic of the finger]”, “bite it [my ass]”, “have you ever [had sex]”, an alluring, clearly deliberate shot of a girl’s midriff while she’s putting a top on, almost exposing her breasts. It looks like they’re advertising to teenagers - they almost certainly couldn’t get away with the same thing today.

1 Like

This ad (originally produced for Mitre 10 by a Queensland advertising agency) was licensed to a hardware store chain in the USA…and some of the stores still use it today!

1 Like

In light of today’s announcement that the nine remaining Sizzler restaurants in Australia will shut by mid November, here is a Sizzler ad from 1990:

1 Like