Classic Commercials

To be fair an international number was probably cheaper to call than one of those premium 0055 or 1900 numbers that charged $8 or so a minute :wink:

2 Likes

Never forget this classic. Used to see it on Southern Cross Ten a lot when I was younger until they switched to the crappier “ukulele” version.

Also, did this particular ad originally air in 4:3? I found this on some site, wondering if it was just a processing error or if it did air like that.

Finally found the version of the Reading Writing Hotline ad I remember! Scary ad alert? At least that what’s I think when I was younger

One three double oh six triple five…oh six

1 Like

A lot of Reading Writing Hotline commercials on youtube except for the original. IIRC wasn’t there a whole jingle to go with the phone number?

Edit: I guess not. This is probably what I remembered

1 Like

i feel like this advert would induce a massive backlash now

1 Like

Future boss of the ABC says the boss of the ABC should not get any more power :laughing:

7 Likes

Oh how the tables have turned!

1 Like

I’m not sure Ita wants to jail anyone.

1 Like

A few famous faces of the time plugging Ansett.

4 Likes

May Ansett rest in peace.

Not completely dead, The training centre survived and was sold by administrators but kept the Ansett name and logo of the time. I drive past every day.

https://www.ansettaviationtraining.com/

4 Likes

there’s a few variations of this advert - theres one with Bert at the ticket desk, and i think theres one with Tanys Zaetta in it as well

1 Like
1 Like

Other people I remember appearing in this campaign:
Nathan Buckley (a reference to Ansett’s AFL sponsorship deal)
Judith Durham
Rex Hunt (who had only just signed with Ansett after a decade-long association with Qantas)

And one version of the ad began with Ansett’s then-CEO Gary Toomey delivering the “Am I with Ansett? Absolutely” line, which is hilarious in hindsight.

3 Likes

Here’s another (poor quality) version from aelois747 on YouTube.

Few more famous and not quite famous faces.

On airlines, one of my faveourites was this one for Australian Airlines.

The previous campaigns they did with the “You Should See Us Now” tagline is also up there as being pretty memorable for me:

1 Like

On the subject of airlines, here is the full version of British Airways’ Face Commercial.

1 Like

Qantas Choir I Still Call Australia Home ads

I Still Call Australia Home 1999

Video credit YouTube/Kelvin Li

I Still Call Australia Home 2009

Video credit YouTube/Morgan

I Still Call Australia Home 2000

Video Credit YouTube/Ed Hooper

I Still Call Australia Home 2004

Video Credit YouTube/byam79
1 Like

I think Caitlin Stasey from Neighbours was in one of these commercials.