Classic Commercials

When was the last time you saw a person with grey hair as the front person for a brand other than funeral insurance or incontinence products?

I can see why Cadbury used Professor Julius Sumner Miller in their ads back then considering his educational TV shows were popular across generations.

3 Likes

Why is it so?

I’m suddenly reminded of the Panadol Lady (Dorothy Armstrong)… another ad icon of the 1980s :slight_smile:

YouTube: retrooldcommercials

2 Likes

All Brisbanders will know that the Carleton Custom Upholstery ad is still running on TV, except bordered. Both ads currently on air:

The second ad looks like a cheap edit, with obviously-altered text and the addition of the jingle in the background (which the original didn’t have).

1 Like

World Expo 88 related ads from TV0

1 Like

Learnt months ago that the classic “Wouldn’t it be nice if the world were Cadbury” ads were a parody of a Beach Boys song from a classic album…

Just wait til you hear where The Good Guys’ jingle comes from…

4 Likes

Mind blowing. :rofl:

1 Like

Anything but that jingle!

1 Like

Didn’t know that 7-Eleven actually sold fountain drinks here at one point.

2 Likes

More importantly…is it just me or did Francis Greenslade appear in that ad? :wink:

4 Likes

7/11 and Mobil Quix did them through the 90s, Mobil might had them even longer in some areas (I remember the one near my high school in Perth having fountain drinks in 2003).

1 Like

I remember when they had a bigger size and promoted it as The Big Gulp.

Randomly came across this old NSW milk campaign from the late 90s from a photo of an abandoned milk bar on Canterbury Road:

2 Likes

I think this ran in Victoria as well. It looks familiar

3 Likes

It may have been commissioned by the Australian Dairy Industry Council or its equivalent.

A Danino yoghurt commercial, circa 1995.
Courtesy Kurtis Thomas.

I’d never seen an ad for a dodgy premium rate phone service where you were asked to dial an international number, until I came across this one. Surely this has got to be a scam of some kind?

Also, what a memorable number. Ranks up there with 0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

3 Likes

Would have been a very expensive call at 1994 International dialing rates…

1 Like