Christchurch Mosques Terror Attack - Coverage

Nine also sent over Gabrielle Boyle.

Probably the most chilling of the reporting I saw (from 4:15):

An interesting piece from the ABC on how they chose to cover the story:

I’ve noticed earlier today that none of the filters or sorts work on You Tube. E.g. you can’t refine YT searches by upload date. Is this some sort of attempt to hide videos associated with the Christchurch shootings or a coincidence?

2 Likes

Full NBC News Broadcast, Including the Christchurch Terror Attack.

1 Like

Born, raised and worked for TVNZ in Christchurch before she became their Aussie correspondent.

Have any NZ reporters been dispatched to Grafton, NSW, to prepare an angle on the main suspect? I know the government has tried to keep reporting on him to minimal lengths - either through law or urging, I don’t know.

Not everyone views live streams nor do they use social media. There’s plenty of potential Jury members who only see TV, Radio and Print. It’s about limiting bias, as it is in Australia.

Don’t think so, but I’ve seen Australian stories shown on NewsHub about the Grafton perspective. I imagine 1News had something similar.

1 Like

Ah so that’s where Seven got their inspiratiom for their headline graphics.

Good roundup from Colin Peacock of the Media’s responses on RNZ’s Mediawatch just now. Hopefully they post it online, might be a while though, it was interrupted near the end by the latest Police Conference.

Newshub is live with Tom McRae.

Some Caps

Yes but the facts are established by the mere existence of that video. That’s what I’m getting at.

1 Like

Doesn’t appear as though TVNZ has anything extra today.

Marae at 10am did have some coverage from Christchurch, discussing about how to discuss this event and comfort children, talked about the political ramifications which they had Marama Davidson from the Greens & Rino Tirikatene from Labour.

Newshub will be back at 5pm today

2 Likes

More like defending some potentially bad decisions of what to run on air - this is simply a cynical attempt to head off criticism (that will most likely come from within on Monday night). Not to mention on an opportunity to have a few subtle digs at their opposition.

Why? The fact that our own reporters are dispatched the really poor form - interviewing people who say stuff like “he was such a nice kid” or “I’d never thought he was capable of that” adds fuck all to the coverage

And they are of questionable protection here as well

1 Like

In regards to their dispatch into Grafton, they’re basically just fuelling the publicity and attention that the murderer will receive, which is what he wanted. It’s rubbish.

3 Likes

Here is the RNZ Mediawatch programme. Great to listen about the thoughts about the coverage nationally and internationally.

2 Likes

Sunday Night have a story and interview at 8:30pm tonight.

1 Like