Chris & Julia’s Sunday Night Takeaway

It shouldn’t go anywhere. Most people that watched it seemed to enjoy it. It rated badly because MAFS is doing amazingly and Ten left some huge holes in their schedule the past couple of weeks make it harder to launch. In time it could grow. They would have invested a lot into this show so I doubt they will just drop it anytime soon.

1 Like

That is true in the sense that a lot of people would have gone into the show not knowing what to expect (or didn’t watch it for that reason). They can now highlight some of the fun segments in promos which might give it a bit more attention to some viewers. It’s good that they are flexible too and willing to tweak the show accordingly (a couple of less segments next week would be good).

The best part about the UK version is the undercover pranks that Ant & Dec do. This is what the show needs as these videos on social media can go viral promoting interest in the show. The in your ear ones (like the one with Denyer), aren’t as funny and in the case of last night, not funny at all.

That segment got some of the biggest laughs in our house.

There is all criticism for the show but what would you do to make it better? Would you change or add new segments into the show? If you are going to criticize the show you must have alternatives and ideas to make it better.

it got the same average of ratings as every other 10 show. if they stick with it, tweak and let it find it’s way - they’ll have a great alternative on their hands.

#3 in the demos aint bad.

4 Likes

But it needs more Musical Guests.

1 Like

Yes that’s what it was lacking. To be a true variety amongst the fun things get a musical guest as a drawcard to promote and another guest that comes on for an interview. The mini Chris and Julia interview thing was the segment I hated. Use the studio and do a proper interview. Otherwise I was happy and enjoyed most segments.

2 Likes

How many weeks is Sunday Night Takeaway for?

April 28 Finale

1 Like

Here is my take:

1. Clearly outline what the show is about and set expectations at the beginning of the show. Add a “tonight on takeaway”.
  2. Get rid of the announcer guest role. Replace it with a perm narrator.
  3. Give it structure and make it less frantic, but let the hosts be free to run with the show without corny/cheesy writing and lines.
  4. Focus on the good segments and keep them - No little Chris and Julia, no lame proposals to kick off the show, more ‘find the location’
  5. Have some slower, sit down time - laughs can still come, but there needs to be a chat show segment with Guest interviews.
  6. More pranks and live audience interaction
  7. Add ability to phone in for people who haven’t been given a camera. A Show all about participation made me feel like i wasn’t participating. Viewers should be able to win something. Radio does this really well.
  8. Musical performer, who is actually current and can sing.
  9. Stand up Comedian routine.
  10. Crowd can take a chill pill and just be themselves, not a forced audience.

Overall, i think the way they started the show last night was its biggest problem. It was a combination of Cringe, Awkwardness, Nervousness and was over rehearsed and over done. As the 2+ hours went on, we started enjoying some of it. The start and the Choirboys were so so bad.

3 Likes

Not really.

1 Like

HAHA that is funny.

I agree with you regarding keeping the show. But having the philosophy number 3 in the demos aint bad is not going to cut it.

1 Like

Probably for Seven, but 10 prides itself on demos and 3rd is definitely not the position they’d want to be in for long.

3 Likes

This show should only be an hour! The 1st episode was waaay to long! The takeaway jingle gets played too many times.

And maybe don’t interrupt the song every 30 seconds to cross to a home viewer on a delayed webcam.

I’d rename the show Sunday Night Takeaway, much more succinct.

What I said was it aint bad - compared to the doom and gloom, sky is falling crap other members were spewing up thread.

It definitely needs to get better.

Sometimes I think this is the problem with a new live show - you have to rehearse and rehearse, so much so that the first ep is quite methodical. I wonder whether the first ep should be the 4th ep or something (the other 3 consigned to the long term archive) so that it is a polished product that they put to air.

It’s not just Takeway that suffers, but any new live show on any network. It’s just normal.

2 Likes

If you missed the show’s premiere last week, it will be repeated on 10Peach at 5.35pm today.