Changing Rooms

New shows are never going to have a chance launching mid season of established stripped realities. People are committed to those shows now. Doesn’t bode well for dancing on Monday

4 Likes

There are plenty of “viewers to go around”. They’re just not choosing Ten.

2 Likes

Have to disagree in that their are plenty to go around, as those viewers are locked into MAFS and MKR, which is why they are not choosing Ten.

:roll_eyes: It’s their job to convince viewers not to watch those shows. If they take your defeatist attitude, they will never win anything.

1 Like

Lol, it isn’t defeatist attitude. MAFS and MKR are the two strongest shows ALL year. It is smart, strategic programming to debut your reality shows away from these…especially the reality formats!

1 Like

It doesn’t leave many timeslots available when these shows run Sunday to Wednesday (and sometimes Thursday). What are Ten supposed to screen against them if they don’t try new shows or don’t try old shows?

That’s the million dollar question. Not reality, not now. I’m not bashing them for trying, I think they should wait until things get quiter and debut new shows against weaker competition. We’ve not seen so many new commissions from 10 in recent years.

Let those shows build an audience away from juggernauts and then if successful move them to the start of next year, which goes with your point that it’s thier jobs to convince people to not watch MAFS or MKR.

10 doesn’t have the luxury of 6pm-7pm, or sport to launch a schedule and have had great shows that just were not sampled enough. They need space to be able to build audiences.

That’s what I would do.

2 Likes

Good in theory but what do they screen in the meantime?

I would have left celebrity to run its 600k ish ratings but from Sunday to Wed and extended the season, not reduced. Therefore using Thursday to capitalise on launching new things.

Changing rooms should have debuted on a Thursday and would have seen a much higher sample rate.

I’m a celeb debut pretty good but at soon as MAFS started it got smashed.

Totally agree. But at least it had AN audience that stuck with it that could limp them out to post the juggernauts. Viewers are now deeply commited to MAFS and MKR and as much as I want Dancing, Takeaway and Changing rooms to rate, debuting them against those two and attempting on breaking past the existing commitment will (my prediction) not work.

My strategy is playing the long game and laying low to find a better entry point to build new things, outside of the big two.

Remember, MKR had the start of the year strangled for years and MAFS started in May 2015. It wasn’t moved against MKR until it found and grew it’s audience. It went on to beat and dethrone MKR.

If MAFS had of launched against MKR it would have never have had that opportunity and potentially wouldn’t have made it this far

I’d be going “cheap and cheerful” particularly against MAFS/MKR - don’t waste more expensive content on a guaranteed 3rd at the moment.

2 Likes

Yep. pretty much this exactly.

Iam sad to see ths show get such low ratings i thought it was good

1 Like

I don’t agree with some of the comments. You can’t just give up. 9 were brave to take on MKR in its peak and it is paying off big time now. You have to try new things. A show will never stay on top forever. 10 are doing the right thing in trying new shows. This just wasn’t a successful attempt. Who knows Dancing might be.

1 Like

The show just doesn’t work like that though. You wouldn’t get celebrities agreeing to those sorts of terms.

9 didn’t debut MAFS against MKR though. They moved a show that was building an audience and had some buzz. There was a level of confidence based on facts that they had, and they made the right decision. They slowly moved it to go toe to toe.

Everything they debuted against it in prior years, didn’t work. See: Australia’s got talent. Destroyed by MKR.

10 is putting big money into shows that will have less of a chance to launch to figures warranting the spend right now vs sometime later, you would have to agree with that!

1 Like

Yes you are right but they still moved a show against a massive powerhouse. They took a risk. They didn’t shut up shop like you suggest 10 to do.

Exactly. They had shows that failed. They kept trying.

Yes there is less chance for it to succeed. But one day the powerhouses will lose figures. Look at MKR now getting less than 800k. Married might have the same thing happen in a couple of years and 10 could get a show in that might just build an audience throughout the season and become a hit in its second season - I guess in a similar way Masterchef was successful.

Not once did I suggest that. I said they will have a much better chance of debuting new, costly shows and building audiences by moving thier premium new content away from MAFS and MKR to ensure longevity and a better strategy long term.

Yes the big guys will fall one day, this year is not the year they will.

and knowing channel 9 they will extend MAFS for as long as they can, prob into Easter