that’s what they were pre-Stefanovic too.
or just cut cash giveaways on the show altogether. If you look at it Today and Sunrise reporting a major event or whatever and then ending the segment with ‘Hey, wanna win some cold hard cash?’, it just makes their show a joke.
their show caters to different viewer bases, and need to cater more to them:
- working people (of course so many demo’s in that)
- stay at home people.
There is a fact that there is a market for people wanting hard news in the morning, without the fluff or idiots entering comps to get cash from them (that kinda also belongs on commercial radio). There’s a reason why there’s a small upward trend in Breakfast’s ratings.
Today (and Sunrise) suffer from the same sickness - they’re trying to get viewers from each other than from Breakfast or new viewers altogether. Sure, you can have fun in the morning, but also don’t pander to idiots and (on the same coin), make people feel like idiots for watching it.
To balance things out this is what I’d do:
- 5.30 - 7.30 - Serious news - stuff that people need to know (not shitty news stories about online trends that only 50 something year olds found, even though everyone else saw it weeks ago)
- 7.30 - 8.30 - tomfoolery and serious news - this is the part where the weather person should have a bit of fun (provided there’s no cyclone or wild weather event happening)
- 8.30 - 9.00 - this is the time to have more fun in the show - you got the stay at home people now switching the show on, so speak about what they care about.
Also in this, each demographic has a different view of news. So if there’s a report about the Dept. of Human Services doing something with Medicare/Centrelink,
- The first few hours, report how it’ll affect businesses and more in-depth analysis
- later, talk about the affect on workers and go into specifics about the consumer side of the plan
- Then the last part of the show, the news should be focused on the affect on those who get welfare from the DHS
modify the show’s angle, while still delivering the crux of the news to them. it’ll help the show, it’ll help inform and make brekky tv less of an absolute joke.