CBS News

1 Like

CBS This Morning has added Bianna Golodryga as a 4th anchor to their show.

1 Like
2 Likes

I detest the “Headlines in 60 Seconds” opener for the CBS Evening News. Just get on with the news reports…

1 Like

Takes the place of the grandiose traditional teaser that takes just as much time.

CBS has gone through all the phases with teasers: roll calling each of them and their dateline during the Cronkite years to nothing at all for Rather. Most teasers have lasted between 40-70 second since then.

Rumours are suggesting Ann Curry is going to CBS News in one of these positions:
*Replacing Norah on CBS This Morning who will replace Jeff Glor on the Evening News.
*Replacing Glor on the Evening News.
*60 Minutes reporter.

Come on Ann do it, stick it to Lauer!!!

1 Like

Sounds like CBS wants to replace Jeff Glor?

1 Like

Indeed, seems quite weird because he has only been in the job since December 2017.
But it seems ratings are down:
https://thehill.com/homenews/media/430802-cbs-considering-replacing-evening-news-anchor-amid-poor-ratings
Should’ve kept Pelley, or better still Couric :heart_eyes_cat::heart_eyes_cat:

I wasn’t a big fan of Pelley but to his credit when he was in the reins the ratings shot up compared to Couric’s tenure, which was mainly because of a deeper focus on hard news with Pelley compated to fluff with Couric.

Jeff Glor hasn’t really done much as a presenter on what is the flagship evening news. When compared to David Muir, Lester Holt and even Judy Woodruff he lacks personality and doesn’t feel connected to the audience. If they replace him though I think Ann Curry should replace him.

3 Likes

Agreed. Out of the journalists today here and aboard, IMO she is the one who comes the closest to Jennings.

Agreed, as much as I like Couric, she was the downfall for the CBS Evening News IMO, because of all the fluff stories. Didn’t the ratings drop significantly while Katie was there? Wasn’t ever Pelley’s biggest fan, but certainly agree that he has a big emphasis on hard news.

I remember Ann Curry hosted NBC Nightly News a few time and was very good. She would be good regardless of what she does. I can see her on This Morning and the Evening News. I haven’t really liked Jeff Glor’s boring presenting style!

1 Like

Completely forgot that!! She would’ve a very good replacement for Brokaw IMO. Ironically she left NBC a few weeks before Williams got suspended in early 2015. Although Lester Holt was always going to replace Williams, just as Williams was always going to replace Brokaw.

I agree, Glor is very boring. Curry was be fantastic in either position.

1 Like

Jeff Glor is comparable to Mark Ferguson in terms of presentation style. While he might be a great person off camera I feel like he is really ‘phoning it in’ whenever he reads the news, almost like he doesn’t want to be there.

2 Likes

Anyone who wants a masterclass on local news coverage needs to watch Chris & Mary on CBS New York on CBS All Access (unsure if this is on 10 All Access) at around 7pm AEST.

This sort of stuff would rate its arse off in Australia if implemented correctly.

2 Likes

CBS New York appears to be a good operation from some of the videos uploaded on YT.

Here’s the latest sample of the start to CBS2 News This Morning recorded on October 1. Judge for yourself.

1 Like

Basically all of the NYC stations are well funded. They do serve America’s densest population area after all.

Even the PBS affiliate has a flashy studio and digs.

2 Likes

It’s really a basic set up, but the delivery from the anchors and the focus on local issues of the morning is really what hits this home. It’s all in the detail.

An Australian network should trial this in Sydney and Melbourne one day.

then local inserts throughout the day

2 Likes

You typically don’t see live local reports every hour during the day beyond half-hourly updates the national morning shows. It’s really elections, weather and planned breaking news events like a press conference that commands those resources. The rest are canned promos pulling viewers to the next newscast or to special reports at 6 and 11.

If I was allowed to go in-depth about News 12 and NY1, though…

3 Likes