CBS News

And so it begins

4 Likes

I’ve been watching some segments on their website - they’ve done really nice with some of the graphics but have succumbed to the dumb tendency which NBC and ABC have adopted in having a super onscreen for whole news reports reminding stupid viewers of the subject of the story. Why? Viewers know what the story is about by the topic being shown onscreen - there’s no need to remind them with a super.

They also have taken a page out of Fox News by using a bar across the bottom of the screen with the CBS Evening News w/ Jeff Glor on it. It’s really annoying.

Visual noise pollution.

3 Likes

I watched it via Foxtel, so it was hard to tell.

1 Like

Jeff Glor’s presentation is about as lifeless and humdrum as that of our very own Mark Ferguson. Ambien will never sponsor the broadcast because Glor could cure insomnia.

7 Likes

I’m not a fan of using the CBS This Morning set for the Evening News again. the Dan Rather newsroom was better

2 Likes

I’ve never liked the style of news bulletins that the American networks have been putting out recently. They always exude pomposity and the atmosphere is like I’m watching a soap opera rather than a news bulletin.

There are always gaudy motifs in the presentation. The sets usually look like the brainchild of a smart interior designer who has a rich elderly couple as their client, what with the fake brick walls in the background or wooden furnishings everywhere.

The music is always over the top with some big orchestra playing the theme. Just yuck. I’ve heard a lot of people complaining about Seven News adopting their most recent theme, because it sounds so pompous and gaudy, much like these American network news bulletins.

There are also the sensationalist over-the-shoulder graphics which I believe NBC (and Nine Melbourne) adopted some time ago which I absolutely hate. In many cases I think it’s totally inappropriate - e.g. does the text for a murder story really have to have blood dripping off it? Or does a bushfire story need to have the letters made out of houses that are on fire? Why does everything need to be in 72pt Impact font?

I think the PBS Newshour is probably the best in terms of having a modern design which doesn’t oversell itself. It still has a few of those other qualities from the commercial networks that I hate, but nowhere near as much.

2 Likes

I agree! It’s definitely time to return the broadcast back to Studio 47.

Studio 57 (CBS This Morning streetside studio) is great and all but I think it was more so suited to Pelley when he was anchor. I think a change back to Studio 47 (CBS Evening News Set from 1996-2016 - Rather > Schieffer > Couric > Pelley > Mason) would restore some of the gravatas to the broadcast, something that in recent times has been missing from the Evening News.

As I understand it, Studio 47 is still fully operational and is just lying dormant for the moment - an odd choice it was to move to 57 permanently in late 2016.

I really like the new “Expect More” campaign used by CBS Chicago. It works on a number of levels and would be a good slogan for a local station here to pick up.

More at http://www.newscaststudio.com/2017/12/29/cbs-chicago-expect-more/

2 Likes

would be a good promotion for Ten when they beef up news in 2018

4 Likes

I like the slogan but hate hate hate that promo.

Interesting that CBS has Jeff filling in on the breakfast show after he only recently started on the evening news.

Another high profile journalist fired.

John Dickerson is the new co-host of CBS This Morning. He will transition off Face the Nation.

That’s a great get for the show. I just hope that he still has the time to continue his Whistlestop podcast …

CBS are building a new newsroom at the broadcast centre. Could this also mean a new set for the CBS Evening News?

Also, how dramatic does the theme sound in this tease:

6 Likes

A CBS Local affiliate, WJZ CBS 13 got a new look this week. Their set is amazing. This is why I say Australia is behind the times with Sets.Our sets are so 1 dimensional (with 9 news as the exception) and just look incredibly dated IMO

6 Likes

i wonder if the affiliates here in australia once cbs fully takes over gets rebranded??? and if so i hope they have this set :smiley: it looks wonderful:D

1 Like

For set geeks, here is the above space being built in timelapse:

and the set in action:

6 Likes

The only company in Australia with awesome sets is Fox Sports ,I wish ten in particular would up the standard in Australia even take points from our Kiwi neighbours who both networks have great sets which really think outside the box.

6 Likes