CBS News

That set looks wonderful.
I’m not a huge fan of the end titlecards but overall a very nice refresh.

Wouldn’t mind 10 going back down the dark accent look with a hint of gold :yum:.

7 Likes

Agree. But how good would it be if 10 could represent a national bulletin like this at 6.00pm after the local editions. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

If 6pm with George Negus flopped during the now infamous ‘News Revolution’, a national bulletin going up against state bulletins on 10’s main rival networks would likely have no chance.

3 Likes

Well, you can’t compare ratings to 10 years ago but if they had done a proper national bulletin it would have rated better than the borderline SBS content of Negus’ disaster.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if 10 News ultimately goes fully national anyway: one bulletin at 5 from Sydney for the whole of Australia (albeit delayed/updated for WA?).

1 Like

Given how NSW centric National bulletins are, I think it’d be easier to just axe news, it’d be a disaster for a main bulletin.

1 Like

I think the failure of 6pm with George Negus was not due to its content (it was right to be borderline SBS) but rather a demonstration of narrow world view of mainstream viewers. They just want to know what’s happening in US and Britain, but not the rest of the world, unless it’s a war, a serious natural disaster, or an incident that directly impacts Australia.

4 Likes

Indeed. The quality of that show despite the ratings was top notch for a commercial network. I really liked it but I love watching lots and lots of news. I am a person who would sit and watch 3 hours of news back to back on a weeknight.

1 Like

I personally loved the George Negus show too, but I’m more of an ABC/SBS person. In hindsight a show like might’ve worked better after a topical comedy panel show, like Have You Been Paying Attention (if it had been around at the time). There might’ve been a little more crossover in the audience.

For me personally, the show was on too early in the evening. Back then (single, no kids), most nights I would’ve been home after 7 thanks to either work or social commitments.

This is the second time CBS has gone back to their 1988 theme. I love the sound of it.

1 Like

Here’s the montage:

6 Likes

My only criticism is the narrowness of the text due to the CBS news logo being so big.

The horizontal strap under the headlines is much better.

1 Like

Seriously, Ten could easily implement this look in both Sydney and Melbourne. Love the gold.

1 Like

Still think I prefer 10’s current Sydney set (though it could use some updating) but a smaller version of that CBS set could work well in Melbourne.

1 Like
2 Likes
3 Likes

CBSN taking BBC as Russia’s invasion of Ukraine began last year:

CBS has updated the headline sequence for CBS Evening News - completely destroyed it, so jarring and disjointed.

6 Likes

I find the starry glitter transition really out of place.

7 Likes

Typical CBS. Change for change’s sake.

9 Likes