Carols in the Domain

This year could be called: Carols in the Theatre or Carols at ICC

4 Likes

First (and hopefully last) time Carols in the Domain is held indoors.
I do feel it could have been possible to enforce social distancing in open parklands, by making it a ticketed event like the Christmas Pageant at Adelaide Oval.

5 Likes

If there was a TV event that could easily be cancelled for the year with a repeated telecast or “Best of” special airing in its place, Carols in the Domain (along with its Melbourne equivalent) is it. Pretty much the same thing each and every year aside from changes in host, sponsors and radio simulcast partners every so often which most people outside this forum probably couldn’t care less about.

Although now we know it will still be going ahead this year in a modified form, I wonder if Kochie will still wear an “absolutely amazing” outfit!

2 Likes

Why do you wanna cancel things when they can easily go ahead in a Covid world?

2 Likes

Because it’s obviously not his favourite lol :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s just he also wants NSW to have more restrictions for no reason too. Just curious why he wants to cancel or contain things when we don’t need to.

I guess he has a point regarding this considering we should never be complacent. But I also think if the situation is under effective control for the timebeing then it is time everything gradually returned to normal. If the situation changes, apply the restrictions.

3 Likes

I don’t know if the current situation in South Western Sydney is “no reason” to put major events on hold for the time being.

Carols in the Domain has been a staple of Channel Seven at Christmas time for over three decades now. Presuming that the footage still exists and that music rights also permit for the replaying of performances among other things, I think it’d be better to do something like a “Best Of” show which can still incorporate “new” cross-promotion, product placement and The Salvation Army Christmas Appeal plugs.

Current situation? It’s literally 0-3 cases a day. That’s nothing. Not to mention the fact they know where every single case has come from. It’s really nothing to worry about. Come back to me when we start seeing 15 plus cases a day. Then we’ll talk. Until then. It’s business as usual living in the Covid world. Social distance and washing hands. No need for any further restrictions.

Surely it’s less risky having Carols in the Domain outdoors in a park than indoors in a theatre.

4 Likes

Indoor they can at least temperature check anybody going into the venue and can also notify anyone who grabs a ticket if a case happens.

At the Domain less chance of that especially if people do Christmas shopping beforehand you’d basically have to put an alert for anything in the main shopping area (so Elizabeth Street through to QVB down to Wynyard) train stations (Museum and St James and potentially Wynyard) plus the bus routes. So, have a repeat of the CBD gym cluster we had except on a bigger scale.

The transport and routes issues are just the same whether the venue is indoors or outdoors.

1 Like

and most of them inside this forum too.

But yeah, a special retrospective edition could actually be really nice.

True but in this situation I can definitely see why it’s moving indoor. Basically by moving it indoors, especially at ICC you can separate the groups out easily and still have everything monitored at the doors.

It’s a different situation if the Domain was fully closed off kind of like the Myer Bowl in Melbourne where you can have a line drawn with the major paths etc. But I’ve been to some Carols years ago where they were sitting all the way up to the Gallery of NSW side of the Domain. :grimacing:

1 Like

This year’s event will be shown on Seven on Wednesday December 23 at 7.30pm with the first batch of performers revealed today.

Interesting that the telecast will be on the night before Carols by Candlelight on Nine. Could it be pre-recorded or shown into Sydney and Melbourne on the actual night?
2 Likes

Apparently for those who object to the indoor venue where masks will be required, a rival Karens In the Domain will be held :wink:

9 Likes

Why are they changing everything? Is it a venue availability issue that’s it’s not being held the Saturday before Christmas?

They have changed the date a couple of times in the past but most recently had decided that the week before was better. I’d say the venue availability would be the most likely reason.

3 Likes

Between availability and the first Test Match against India is a Day/Night Test, which to my knowledge Seven is still broadcasting (even after the shenanigans that have been going on) is held between December 17-21 in Adelaide (so audience wise it would affect the broadcast on the main channel in Eastern States).

3 Likes

Next month’s Carols in the Domain will be held on December 18 and 19 at Aware Super Theatre at ICC Darling Harbour, with both sessions starting at 7pm Sydney time. Looks like the 18th is rehearsal night and the 19th is broadcast night, which will then be edited for broadcast on December 23.

From Carols’ Facebook page:

Attention Carols fans! :sparkles: In a Woolworths Carols in the Domain first, we will be presenting this year’s concert from the Aware Super Theatre in Sydney, on the 18th and 19th of December. We have a very limited number of special Reserved Seats available with prices starting from $79. Secure your seats here:
https://premier.ticketek.com.au/shows/show.aspx?sh=CAROLSIN20

A portion of all ticket sales will go to The Salvation Army Christmas Appeal, to help provide much-needed support for those in need.

The team at Woolworths Carols in the Domain look forward to spreading Christmas cheer to all this year, with an all-star line-up of Australia’s best performers, including a visit from the big man in the red suit himself – Santa Claus

It was announced last week that country music star Amber Lawrence would make her Carols debut, while Mark Vincent would return.