Carols in the Domain

Yes, I know it’s way too early for a topic on this post but Seven’s “Saturday before Christmas” tradition will be moving to Sundays from this year: http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2016/08/carols-in-the-domain-moving-to-sunday.html

Personally I think that the move to Sundays is designed to be more ratings friendly rather than “more family friendly” as per the EP quote, but there you go. And of course next year should be interesting because Christmas Eve 2017 will be on a Sunday, when Nine traditionally airs…

6 Likes

Either day Carols in the Domain will be up against the night session of the day night cricket test from Brisbane for 30 minutes or so, and cricket always wins.
I’ve said it before, but I think a couple of new festive tracks are needed to freshen up the event. A competition should have been held so the winning track will be performed on the night.

Unless Carols in the Domain is held a week earlier next year??

1 Like

I agree that Carols in the Domain will most likely be held on the Sunday before Christmas Eve (ie, December 17) next year, remembering that CITD has usually always been held the Saturday before Christmas Eve whenever Xmas Eve falls on a Saturday to avoid a clash with Nine’s Carols By Candlelight.

1 Like

I think so. And if it’s held on Christmas Eve they would be clearing and cleaning up a temporary venue on Christmas Day and Boxing Day.

That’s a great idea, could be run as part of Sunrise.

Yeah that’s what would usually happen. The idea of having them both on the same night would be counter productive. Cause they’d split the audience.

I have to admit I’m a bit diappointed at the change to a Sunday. Mainly cause I have to to go work the next day. Those late night trains back to Sydney are usually all stations. Last year I got home at 3am

1 Like

I’d say they would hold it the week before if Christmas Eve was on a Sunday. Clashing would benefit nobody.

The Sunrise team will once again host the telecast this year

2 Likes

2016 Woolworths Carols in the Domain

Sunday 18 December at 8.30pm

Sunrise stars return to the stage to host the 2016 Woolworths Carols in the Domain.

They’re back! Seven’s David Koch, Samantha Armytage, Natalie Barr and Mark Beretta will return to host the 2016 Woolworths Carols in the Domain which for the first time will be on Sunday 18 December.

The Sunrise stars will be joined by Carols’ best ever line-up of entertainers to share some Christmas cheer with Australian audiences.

We can announce the much-loved Christmas event will star Ky Baldwin, the 15- year-old who wowed audiences as the young Peter Allen in Seven’s hit 2015 miniseries Peter Allen ‘Not the Boy Next Door’.

Also, returning to the stage will be Mark Vincent, the only classical trained artist in Australian history to have released seven albums by the time he was 21 and Australian television, film and family favourite, Jay Laga’aia.

In addition, these stars are confirmed to appear on the 2016 Carols stage:

DAMI IM
DOUG PARKINSON GEORGIE PARKER JOHN PAUL YOUNG LEO SAYER
MICKEY AND MINNIE MOUSE SHANNON NOLL
THE MCCLYMONTS
and TODD MCKENNEY

The Salvation Army is once again the Woolworths Carols in the Domain official charity.

Woolworths Carols in the Domain is in its 34th year and will be staged on Sunday 18 December at The Domain, Royal Botanic Gardens Sydney. Celebrate Christmas traditions live from 8.30pm on Seven.

1 Like

The performers list is close to being complete. Additions include 2016 X Factor winner Isaiah Firebrace and finalist Natalie Ong, Jessica Mauboy, Paulini Curuenavuli, Harrison Craig, The Wiggles and Swing on This. The Salvation Army Choir, The Australian Girls Choir, Jubilation Gospel Group, and dancers from the Janice Breen Performance Studio will also appear, along with Musical Director and maestro Graeme Press, and the Sydney Youth Orchestra.
Dami Im will also sing on Carols by Candlelight in Melbourne on Christmas Eve, making her one of few artists to perform in both carols in the same year.

1 Like

Just wonder how many artists actually have done both shows in Sydney and Melbourne in the same year historically? Guessing it won’t be a long list (excluding Santa of course).

1 Like

Be interesting to see what attendance will be like. I’m one of those disappointed that it’s been moved to Sunday. I don’t buy the “Allowing more families to come” reasoning. This has to be a Channel 7 call.

I’ll still be watching but still

This is so tacky compared the Melbourne one. That awful banner hanging on the stage feels like it’s been around for decades.

3 Likes

Jessica Mauboy did the traditional Carols song - sing a song from your latest album that has absolutely nothing to do with Christmas.

3 Likes

On a school night? Or has school already finished for the year in NSW?

School finished in NSW last Friday

Also who still watches this crap? I couldn’t think of anything worse to watch.

3 Likes

The school has finished for the year in NSW.

Didn’t see any of it tonight whereas on a Saturday I probably would have seen at least part of it although I tend to not last long with all the product placement involved.

Ok fair enough although i bet many parents have work on Monday morning which would prevent some family attendances.

1 Like

If you ask me, the tweets about Carols In The Domain were more entertaining than much of the broadcast itself! :smiley:

2 Likes