Carols By Candlelight

With the massive ratings Carols gets on Christmas Eve (averaging ~1.5m metro alone over the past decade), you can see why Nine would still take it at least somewhat seriously & the Sydney hosts - on a national scale (as it’s always been).

Gets me every year!

1 Like

Hark! Sonia Kruger’s ready to jingle and replace Lisa Wilkinson on Carols by Candlelight

3 Likes

SONIA KRUGER AND DAVID CAMPBELL TO CO-HOST THE 80th VISION AUSTRALIA CAROLS BY CANDLELIGHT

SUNDAY 24 DECEMBER LIVE AT 8.00PM ON NINE

Sonia Kruger will join returning host David Campbell on stage at the Sidney Myer Music Bowl on Christmas Eve to host the 80th Vision Australia Carols By Candlelight presented by Priceline.

The Today Extra hosts will be joined by a star-studded lineup of artists gracing the stage on Christmas Eve to perform Australia’s favourite Christmas carols.

Returning Carols favourites who will delight the audience include Anthony Callea, Tim Campbell, Marina Prior, Silvie Paladino, David Hobson and Denis Walter.

“Watching Vision Australia’s Carols By Candlelight on Christmas Eve has always been a tradition for me and now to be part of it is the cherry on the Christmas pudding,” Kruger said.

“It’s a special time of year and I’m excited to be there to see the brilliant performances and absorb the atmosphere by candlelight.

Campbell said: “I cannot wait to share Christmas Eve with everyone again and this year I am even more excited to share it with my good friend Sonia. It’s set to be an amazing celebration of 80 years of this very special tradition”.

The beloved annual Christmas tradition originated in Melbourne in 1938 and this year marks the 80th anniversary. Carols by Candlelight is enjoyed by millions of viewers across each year with over 2.3 million viewers across the nation tuning in to share in the Christmas spirit in 2016.

Carols by Candlelight is Vision Australia’s biggest fundraiser, with 100 per cent of profits from ticket sales going towards services for children who are blind or have low vision. In 2016, thanks to the support of the Australian public, over $1.2 million was raised.

More performer announcements to come.

5 Likes

Yeah they are institutions. But that won’t last forever. eg Sadly we’ll never see Terry Gill as Santa Claus.

2 Likes

Melbourne’s Carols by Candlelight doesn’t need Sydney hosts

WHY do we need a couple of Sydney blow-ins to host a quintessentially Melbourne event?

Carols by Candlelight is a Melbourne tradition but for years it has been hosted by a succession of Sydneysiders selected by Channel Nine.

4 Likes

Really? They’re still wheeling out this old chestnut?? Carols has had Sydney-based hosts since Ray Martin took over in the 1980s. Let it go, people…

EDIT: Oh, of course it’s written by Rita Panahi… who wouldn’t have even been born the last time Carols had a Melbourne-based host…

Then she writes:

Channel Seven’s Carols by the Domain is the Sydney equivalent of Carols by Candlelight and is hosted by the Sydney based Sunrise crew of Sam Armytage, David Koch, Natalie Barr and Mark Beretta.

Natalie Barr is from WA.
Mark Beretta is a Victorian

7 Likes

Shhh don’t want Eddie Mcguire hosting.

4 Likes

and Koch was born in Adelaide.

6 Likes

Exactly. They’re national events that happen to be in Melbourne and Sydney.

When I was at Carols By Candlelight back in 2013 I doubt I was the only person from interstate in attendance

1 Like

Having Sydney hosts helps the ratings in Sydney, simple.

But then an argument could be made, that being on Christmas Eve, viewers tune-in in droves nationally, even if the Channel 9 cleaner was hosting LOL

NB/
Rita Panahi wasn’t incorrect, Nat and Beretts have resided in Sydney for many years now.

Also isn’t Ray Martin a West Australian?

Carols By Candlelight has had it’s annual Christmas Eve Live Broadcast + Christmas Day replay on Channel Nine here in Sydney since 1979. Prior to that, the event aired on Channel Ten for several years.

Carols By Candlelight is probably just as much a part of the TV diets of Sydneysiders at Christmas as it is in Melbourne and (probably) most parts of the country regardless of where the event is held or where the presenters live.

I don’t know where you got that one from…

1 Like

I think Ray Martin was based in Perth for the ABC in his early career but I don’t think he was originally from there.

And I know of Sydneysiders who much prefer Carols By Candlelight than Carols In The Domain

2 Likes

At the end of the day, no one really cares WHERE Carols is or WHO is hosting it. All they care is about is that it’s Carols By Candlelight on Christmas Eve. It’s magical regardless, especially if you have kids.

5 Likes

Exactly. It’s just blowhards like Rita who clearly didn’t have anything else to be outraged about

2 Likes

Exactly.

And actually being on Christmas Eve probably helps (not having a dig at the Sydney carols).

2 Likes

Plus Carols By Candleight isn’t just a promotional vehicle for the next Disney film. Still filthy that Domain is on a Sunday though cause it rules out out of towners coming.

1 Like

I’ve always watched on 9NBN when I’m at home for Christmas.

1 Like

Herald Sun reports today that Casey Donovan, Isaiah Firebrace and Esther Hannaford will perform at this year’s event.

1 Like

She is excellent in Beautiful: The Carole King Musical.

1 Like

The cast of Aladdin will perform at Carols by Candlelight for one last time before the musical moves to Brisbane in February next year.

1 Like