Car Radios

That’s a nice looking interface.

Same as my kia. I posted a while back :slight_smile:. Only thing I would like if I could order stations by freq on FM rather than RDS and to separate the dab list from fm.

2 Likes

And one final thing be able to delete a preset. Some strange reason you cant only override it with another station.

I imagine there is a bit of a delay when switching between FM and DAB stations and vice versa when using the presets.

Not really. DAB to FM is instant, FM to DAB is about a second or 2 depending on strength.

3 Likes

How many new cars these days come standard with DAB radio?Then I’ll know what car to buy next when I can afford to replace my 10 year old Toyota Yaris. I know The Mitsubishi AXS has one from when I hired one last year,Or I could pay about $2000 and have one installed in my Yaris instead

Ooh. I can play the preset game now.

FM1:
1- 101.7 WSFM
2- 95.3 Smooth FM
3- 97.3 ABC Illawarra
4- 92.9 ABC Classic FM
5- 99.9 SWR FM

FM2:
1- 107.7 2GO
2- 104.5 Star FM
3- 92.5 ABC Central Coast
4- 96.3 Coast FM
5- 98.1 ABC NewsRadio

AM:
1- 702 ABC Sydney
2- 630 ABC NewsRadio
3- 576 ABC Radio National
4- 1170 2CH
5- 1269 2SM

2 Likes

I read just this week that 65% of new cars sold in Australia in the last year have DAB+ as standard.

Pretty much every Mitsubishi except the Mirage. All Hyundai i30 and Kia Ceratos, even the Kia Rio (except the base model). Ford Focus, Mazda 3 have it. Corolla is a bit stingy and include only as an option.

VW Polo and Golf are notable exceptions with no DAB+

Lots to choose from these days. The only major brands really dragging the chain are VW and Suzuki.

I personally wouldn’t spend $2000 adding anything to an older Yaris. I’d get a whole new car (with DAB of course).

Probably the cheapest new car with DAB+ would be the Kia Rio but I believe you’ve got to go the mid spec model as it’s not in the base model. Still you’d get that on the road well under $20k

3 Likes

I don’t believe any volkswagen vehicles have dab in australia - my Tiguan is full of tech, except DAB

1 Like

Yeah I wonder why VW are being such tight arses. VWs have DAB in the UK.

Subaru was a late adopter here but even they’ve cracked and have it in some of the latest models.

As I said it’s only VW and Suzuki here now that don’t include it. There might be one or two other minor brands but they’re the two main offenders out of the major brands.

3 Likes

I like the Hyundai i30 ,maybe that’s what I’ll end up buying when I’m able to access my superannuation account,so I’ll have to keep my Yaris for another 2-3 years😕Like the Mitsubishi ASX too but it’s too big a vehicle for just myself

1 Like

Old school am radio, I am convinced the older cars had great sounding radios.

Did the outlander have apple car play, or Android play?

1 Like

It has both.

2 Likes

It’s a very useful feature… I don’t think I could go back to not having Android Auto / Car Play.

1 Like

Me 2. Even for me being a radio nerd, if someone said choose between Android Auto /Car play vs DAB I would choose the former.

1 Like

So true ,my old 1998 Toyota Starlet had one of those retractable aerials on the drivers side next to the window and AM radio sounded heaps better,didn’t lose the signal driving under overpasses or overhead power lines.However that car was really old school,didn’t have power steering or CD player :flushed:so I don’t miss it

4 Likes

We have a few of the new Camrys in our work vehicle fleet and dead set the AM radio quality is appalling - so low fidelity it sounds like you’re listening to a muffled noise through a wall, and gets all the electrical interference. Most of ours don’t have the DAB option either, so you pretty much end up on FM

The best car radio for AM sound I’ve ever heard was the one in my grandparents’ 1990 KF Ford Laser Ghia. It was the one that had the AM Filter which narrowed the bandwidth (useful at night when adjacent signals would hash up your listening experience), but during the day with the filter off produced a very high fidelity sound

7 Likes

This would be the one…

images-5

3 Likes

Surely these tuners aren’t also fitted to Land Cruisers which they know will be out in the bush and reliant on AM?

Eurovox radios towards the end of the 80’s and early 90’s had this too. Great feature and excellent with the AM stereo stations that powered on in the early 90’s in Toowoomba.

4 Likes

I had a great AM stereo Eurovox receiver that had 3 bandwidth settings so you didn’t have to totally sacrifice sound quality at night…

3 Likes