Car Radios

Back when they were really caring about AM.

Difficult to get manufacturers to think the same today.

2 Likes

The Eurovox still works when hooked up to DC power as seen below. There was also bandwidth selection available on FM but it had very little effect.

5 Likes

Exactly the one @Radiohead - and still going strong, believe it or not (both the Laser and the radio). The old speakers are a bit crackly now given they’re nearly 30 years old but the radio still works a treat

2 Likes

Worth noting that the wideband AM reception was a bit problematic when two signals were in close proximity though. For instance, where I was in Geelong it was very difficult to listen to 1116 from Melbourne in wide mode because 3CS on 1134 caused it trouble. Not so much a problem towards Melbourne where the former signal was stronger and the latter weaker, but when both were a fair signal at 18kHz spacing it had some issues

1 Like

I use Car Play a lot. I have a group of favourites set in each app so there is a lot of choice and its easy to switch between stations in the groups and then to DAB or FM.

1 Like

Those Lasers were great, particularly that model. I had the model before and it was excellent too.

3 Likes

My first car was a 1985 Ford Telstar TX5 Ghia, which had this radio (but with a silver fascia rather black as shown below).

It had excellent sensitivity, but FM selectivity was woeful, local signals would deviate up to 0.3 MHz away, making it impossible to get anything at 0.2 MHz away unless it was strong enough.

It interestingly had 2 AM bands and only 1 FM (only really useful for storing extra presets). Mine also only had AM mono.

Sound quality was very good.

5 Likes

Digital tuners were more rare in the mid 80s, unless you had something better than the base model. My dad was a sales rep and from memory did not get a digital tuner until 1990. The Falcons started to get them in the base models from the EA Falcon. The next thing I looked forward to was 4 speakers. So I could the radio in the back seat better.

3 Likes

You know those were actually AM Stereo, but had it disabled in the circuitry, IIRC all it needed for AM Stereo to be activated, was a short wire link on the PCB to be cut.

2 Likes

I think the version of that radio that appeared in the EA/EB Ford Fairmont & Ghia had the AM stereo activated though.

This is probably the earliest car radio I remember. Old school AM radio, one speaker only. How times have changed. My first transistor was am only. About 1982.

7 Likes

Android Auto is to get a face lift and new features during our winter:

3 Likes

I’ve been doing research on what new cars feature DAB as standard,Now I’ve decided on the Mazda 2 as my next car.The base mode(Neo)l doesn’t have it but the Maxx does.Just the right size for me too not too large

3 Likes

Reviews look good for the car. Really is based on what you feel is best when trialling them. Looking forward to your reports on the radio coverage.

I won’t be able to purchase one just yet unless I win lotto :confused:Have to wait until March 2021 when I’ll be able to access my superannuation account

1 Like

You’ll love it just for the extra station choice. Once you have it you’ll never listen to the mainstream FM stations in Brisbane ever again.

3 Likes

Just be careful with the Mazda mzd, when you test drive make sure you can scan all the dab stations. I had Mazda 3 and I was very disappointed with the dab radio. The audio was glitchy, and it could not scan or lock in the stations except for ABC/SBS 9C. There are workarounds though but the glitches I could not resolve. I took the car back to Mazda, no luck. Have a kia now, its perfect.

1 Like

I looked up Kia also,and only the Kia Cerato
has DAB radio, not the Kia Rio

1 Like

I thought I looked and the upper level Rio did have DAB?

1 Like

I’ll have to look again

3 Likes