Digital Radio

Some years ago I stayed in a cabin on a little property south of Wollombi. I was surprised that there was no terrestrial television reception on that property and that the cabins had VAST.

1 Like

I can believe that. After the end of VHF 3 and 5A in the area, terrestrial TV signals would be as rare as hen’s teeth.

Plenty of old installations on the Putty Road and the settlements beside it.

1 Like

Yes, 1233 tends to fade not far out of Cessnock when heading that way. I can recall hearing 2WS on 1224 reasonably clearly for the very first time at Sweetmans Creek around 1983, just on the Cessnock side of Wollombi. 1224 is pretty scratchy around Cessnock itself though, barely listenable.

1 Like

Not so much if Kurrajong Heights is the destination.

3 Likes

Nice view. I am impressed with your Mitsubishi @RFBurns, if listening to FUN, I expect more drops.

2 Likes

I didn’t go for the view, I had to go to the DTV translator site to work :frowning:

The DAB+ in the Outlander is surprisingly good I think, the FM I haven’t trialed extensively yet, & the AM is old skool.

The AM reception is very good for long distances, I can listen to 2HD 1143 easily all the way to the end of the M1 (Sydney end), but as you get away from the transmitter, say around Karriong, unusual for a modern radio, you get the old skool hetrodyne whistle.

3 Likes

To those lamenting the audio quality of DAB+ radio, I found this recording of 2SM on DAB back in 2004 and the audio quality was so much better than it is now… From recollection, they were using 256kbps MP2 at that time.

None of that horrible fake tinny treble you have nowadays with low-bitrate SBR and PS.

4 Likes

Wow it does sound good. Oh this makes me feel even more disappointed how most of the radio industry dont care about sound quality of dab.

4 Likes

I only got a DAB radio just prior to launch, so missed out on those early tests. I do recall 2GB and others testing MP2; I think 2GB was running 192 kpbs.

I think the Triple M stable of DAB stations use higher bitrates for their webstreams- a conspiracy to hasten the demise of DAB?

1 Like

SCA’s metro and DAB stations stream at 32kbps and 128kbps AAC - a few of their regionals are stuck at 32k I believe

6 Likes

Went up to Oberon today and had the Sangean DPR-34 pocket radio with me. I forgot my earphones so reception was just with the included (diminutive) whip.

Sydney DAB was just audible with a stable signal from the Lions Club lookout (tx site for 2BS 105.5). The mandatory trip to Shooters Hill (1353 m) was made; surprisingly reception was only marginally better there at a stable 1/5 bars.

I forgot to try Canberra DAB at Shooters Hill, which may be possible, particularly on an in-car unit. Tropo conditions were rock bottom so I doubt it would have been there today.

3 Likes

In the latest Aldi catalogue.

3 Likes

Tempted to get that. Only issue is the poor number of presets and lack of AUX.

1 Like

There’s portable DAB+/FM radios on sale at K-Mart for $24.

USB Powered and charges built-in battery for up to 9 hours use.

3 Likes

I’ve received Sydney digital in the car in the Main Street.

Canberra would likely be possible from Shooters. I received it on many high points after climbing out of the Lachlan River valley.

1 Like

I’ve had it briefly here near Newcastle, so I would say YES to that.

1 Like

I took a squiz at that one. Has most of the same issues I’ve identified with the Aldi one, except it’s $15 cheaper. No AUX, poor number of presets and no Bluetooth.

2 Likes

Permanent transmission of commercial DAB+ services in Darwin has commenced today: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/commercial-radio-stations-darwin-now-broadcasting-permanently-digital-dab

5 Likes

My head is spinning at how fast this DAB roll-out is…

6 Likes

CRA doesn’t have correct details of the names of its members:

http://www.digitalradioplus.com.au/latest-news/2019-(1)/commercial-radio-in-darwin-now-broadcasting-perman

@4TAB-1008kHz, you may notice the error.