Capital Radio Network

I might be out of line saying this, but I’d much prefer announcers do dedicated voice tracks rather than have generic branding broadcast from a hub.

Imagine if BOG voice tracked their workdays so every market could actually be referred to with their heritage brands.

3 Likes

I agree, there’d be a better chance of establishing a local connection, and providing some local info than using a networked live feed.

2 Likes

When I spent some time at 2QN a decade ago, afternoons on 2QN and 3NE shared voicetracks, except each station had one (might have been two but pretty sure it was one) local voicetrack per hour. As I was working at 2QN, the 2QN local voicetrack contained content from the local community events file, while the 3NE local voicetrack was more generic but kept to roughly the same duration as the 2QN voicetrack. If I could get some useful content from 3NE’s broadcast area to fit in to a voicetrack that was a bonus!

Technically it made the entire three hours a “local” show on 2QN as it was different to the 3NE show and contained information of local significance. 3pm to 6pm was the reverse, voicetracked from 3NE.

Not that they needed the content points as both stations had live and local breakfast shows in those days.

6 Likes

Just done my annual snow trip and have been listening to Snow Fm and the new XL Fm.

XL fm gets into Canberra much better then Snow fm, even with the lower ERP towards Canberra. Maybe it has to do with no adjacent station on 95.9.

Also noticed the music on XL fm seems more modern then it was when it was on AM.

The Spur on 98.5 from Mt Roberts is nowhere as bad as it was a year ago. It now can only be faintly received with actual LOS of the tower near Bredbo.

The spur is only of Snow fm and not the strong mix of Snow and Sky Sports Radio as before. The work the engineers did to get XL fm to air seems to have significantly reduced the spur on 98.5.

Will 2GN going to air on 107.7 help the situation in Goulburn with their spur on 95.1?

4 Likes

I found the same thing around Yass and Crookwell when I was there in June.

2 Likes

Yes I’ve noticed that as well. I thought my car radio may be suffering from insensitivity around 97-98 MHz so I’m glad to hear others have noticed it.

I think my i30 radio does lower the sensitivity when in central Canberra to combat overload.

1 Like

Yes the difference on 98.5 from last year to now is like day and night. There maybe hope for Goulburn when 2GN converts to 107.7.

I did not get a chance to check the situation around Jindaboine Hill as I had a mate in the car who is not into radio or dxing.

2 Likes

Matt Wray has moved off Snow FM Workdays, so probably only a one off fill in that you heard on the day. He took over from Chris on XL workdays with Jordan, co-hosting Breakfast, moving to workday and Simmo (Breaky) reverting back to solo breakfast.

The XL Workday announcer has doubled as 3GG’s Drive announcer for some time now, that’s why Matt was on GG (previously Chris had covered it).

3 Likes

Thanks @mbroky, glad you’ve joined, enjoy your time here.

1 Like

Thanks @mbroky, I just assumed Matt Wray was still doing Snow workdays since they recently refreshed their website and he’s still listed on there.

Welcome to MediaSpy, enjoy your time here!

Oh and @mbroky, could you please ask engineering why they don’t/can’t/won’t fix the ‘copies’ of the the FM signals that turn up all over the FM band in Cooma and Goulburn markets?

In partnership with Relay For Life, Radio Goulburn’s Eagle FM and 2GN will be broadcasting live specials this weekend, including a 24 hour live marathon by Eagle FM’s Dylan Finch and Matthew ‘MJ’ Brokenbrough.

1 Like

That might be the first time ever that Eagle FM has had a live announcer from midnight to dawn?

1 Like

Probably beyond 10am even… I think they’ve only ever had a live breakfast shift and that’s it?

1 Like

Not sure what they had when they started back in 1997. Probably more live and local shifts I suspect. Though they have been using the same music log as Snow FM for as long as I can remember.

I remember first hearing ‘MMMBop’ on Eagle FM. I can remember the promos on 2GN for the new FM station too; would have been late 1996. Definitely just 2GN in early 1996 as they were still airing Take 40 Australia. I distinctly recall hearing ‘Boombastic’ at #1 in glorious AM mono.

2 Likes

Eagle FM went to air on 31st January 1997.

Source:
Commercial Radio Stations.pdf (83.1 KB)

5 Likes

TV_E does it again! Thanks!

I note that 105.5 Coffs Harbour started on 30 June 1997, which coincided with my holiday up there. I caught the test broadcast as well.

2 Likes

Seems like a fair few FM stations in Regional NSW launched in 1997…did licences suddenly become cheaper around that time period or something?

2 Likes

A few s.32 licences were all approved at this time.

4 Likes

I think you meant s.39. :slight_smile:

2 Likes