Capital Radio Network

98.7 2XL is just carrier I believe. It was a sick puppy when it was on last, throwing clear spurs on 98.3 to 98.9.

Looks like Wattles Chain Bay is between Thredbo and Tom Groggin so it’s a wonder 98.7 Perisher is even mentioned. 92.1 Thredbo would be the obvious choice here. I haven’t driven the length of the Alpine Way myself so I’m not sure how well 92.1/96.1 penetrate past Thredbo. Transmissions on the Monaro don’t get to Khancoban which is why they can get away with using 89.7 there.

And kudos to you for taking on the snow! There is no finer sight in nature.

1 Like

It may not still be this way, but have a close listen to Eagle and you can hear audio from 2GCR 103.3 bleeding through. :upside_down_face:

Is that on the main frequency (93.5)? I will have a listen during quiet periods like the news.

Yes on 93.5, and yes most noticeable with open content where you can hear the noise floor. Listen for high frequencies (like the “s” in spoken content - that is if that problem is still there this was maybe 2 years ago.

If I think of it I’ll try have a listen too. With a hint of tropo the XDR will resolve Eagle to full quietening.

Has anyone heard Stephen Cenatiempo on 2CC Breakfast?

How is it sounding having a commercial local talk breakfast show in Canberra again?

1 Like

I haven’t heard him, but having a look at his Twitter posts he seems to be trying to fit in by doing a running audition for a spot on 2GB.

A comment from a listener.

3 Likes
2 Likes

I listened to 2CA for a couple of hours today, and while the music is fine, the constant promos for the Captain Cash contest between every song, and extended promos during every commercial break was annoying. Yes, I know they want people to enter the contest and listen to the station, but the current avalanche of promos for it is ridiculous.

Capital need to cut the promos down by at least half. I assume the relentless promos are also on Eagle FM Goulburn, Snow FM Jindabyne, 3GG Warragul and 6iX Perth.

2 Likes

Yes on Eagle fm too, heard It on the car radio while dxing near the M7 on Sunnyholt Rd.

3 Likes

Can confirm 3GG are flogging the Captain Cash promos too

2 Likes

Fat guy with a cigar, it’s not Paul Murray is it?

2 Likes

Re Braidwood, in reponse to Braidwood FM’s coverage of the bushfires last summer:

In the case of 2GN at least, I don’t think they would put in an FM translator at Braidwood until its main service converts to FM. Otherwise, they would do what they’re currently doing with its Crookwell translator, by relaying directly via 1368AM. Plus, I’m not sure how well 1368 is being received in Braidwood.

1 Like

I’d imagine it’s similar to Bungendore i.e not great indoors. I agree that they won’t bother with a translator until they convert the main service. The proposed frequencies are 95.3 for 2GN and 93.1 for Eagle.

According to Gordon at Braidwood FM, ABC NewsRadio’s proposed service on 100.3 will be an off air relay of 103.9.

3 Likes

And what community of interest does Braidwood have with Goulburn? Not much I’d say, feels nothing like Goulburn there and like Bungendore, is on a different highway to Goulburn.

When licence areas were defined in the 80’s, they got lucky with a wide sweep of towns to boost the licence area population of what’s essentially long been operated as a one town service, for Goulburn.

There isn’t really any other alternative.

More in common with Goulburn than Batemans Bay or Nowra or Comma.

1 Like

For Braidwood, I was thinking Batemans Bay.

Spent time in Braidwood in 2018 and lots of local notices made mention of B.B. and other coastal towns, same with deliveries in the stores, either from BB or to a lesser extent, Canberra.

Agree @Radiohead, there’s not much choice.

2 Likes

Unless I guess you could convince the ACMA that it be part of the Renote area and be serviced by Rebel and Breeze. If you can get a few towns on the Southern.Tablelands to fall into that category, a separate feed could be set up like as planned for Mid North Coast NSW when Kendall and Great Lakes go to air.

I think I might’ve just uncovered record hours for ‘voice track talent’, Matthew Wray hosts 10am-4pm on Snow FM, Midday-6pm on XLFM & 2-7pm on 3GG.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t it be confusing to listeners to have the same announcer on both stations in the same market in the same timeslot?

Not sure if that is a good idea.

A better idea would be to have 2GN/3GG provide a voice track to either XL/SNOW instead.

3 Likes

Or of course they could have live announcers in each market.

The breaks are hardly worth the effort either, three or four 15 second breaks an hour announcing the previous song, the station name and the next three or four artists to be played.

2 Likes