Community Radio

My aus towers app does not list that one. Is that at the Telstra Radio Terminal Burralow Road?

Hawkesbury Gold broadcasts from
Grass Ski Centre Bells Line of Road Kurrajong Heights at 568m.

I get similar signal strength at Stanhope Gardens from this site as I do from the Hawkesbury Radio site along Burralow ridge

The problem with this site is coverage to the west is not so good. The Grass Ski site is tucked under the eastern side of the escarpment and has poor LOS to the west. In comparison the Hawkesbury Radio site sits right on top of the Burralow ridge and has excellent LOS to the east and the west. Car coverage from this site is almost to Clarence.

4 Likes

Always believed that was the backbone to community radio, exactly that, bartoring, as it’s a community of people bringing together what they have to compliment each others skills and contributions. The station I was in for most of the 90s, the manager was just interested in turning the station into a profit / paramid scheme and it turned a lot of members off, let’s say there was a exodus around late 1997. Maybe after this I prematurely judged community radio and have been reluctant to do anything in such a manner again. The guy who owned the transmitter equipment made all the programmers bid for their air-time slots, some slots were going for around $180 an hour. If it’s people coming together to bartor services then I think that’s great if the communication lines are always open, and noone feels that they are being shafted.

5 Likes

You can read the CBAA’s submission to the inquiry here (link) as well as BAI Communications (formerly Broadcast Australia)'s here (link).

4 Likes

That’s station manager Gordon Waters, who I met up with over the weekend. He did mention that he would be providing evidence to the Senate Inquiry this week. Well done.

4 Likes

It might put some pressure on Capital Radio to install 2GN and Eagle FM repeaters in town (with the inevitable mixing issues), as well as the ABC.

2 Likes

Could do with out them for that reason alone!

1 Like

An interesting pair of recommendations - basically a sales pitch

1 Like

I read it a while ago and that’s what I immediately noticed on my first read.

Estimates for equipment and sites that they want extra funding for which hasn’t been forthcoming.

If there’s competent volunteers as seen at Braidwood, their granular coverage will never be met by the wide broadcast areas of ABC Canberra or Bega.

Exactly the conclusion that Gordon and I came to a few days ago. Braidwood is in an awkward geographical spot as far as ABC coverage goes, not quite in the Canberra region but not really part of the South Coast either.

2 Likes

Whats happening with Koori Radio’s FM frequency, its audio and signal is so bad, even with great reception the audio sounds like two station broadcasting over each other, defiantly the worst sounding community station in Metro Sydney.

4 Likes

Numeralla is in this same situation. They wanted a local ABC transmitter for the town but the ABC said nope.

1 Like

Also the only Sydney-wide FM broadcast that doesn’t have RDS.

3 Likes

I was thinking the same thing recently.
I get multipath from the station, which doesn’t help, but something else appears to have happened recently to make the reception/audio worse.
They still have their standby TX registered at Redfern (but is it still there?) registered with 2kW only.
Both sites are lacking in terms of clear radiation space due to other taller nearby buildings.

Looking at the SDR MPX spectrum of 93.7, when there’s plenty of audio it looks like it’s a weak signal. As audio drops looks like a stronger signal. The spectrum of the signal looks the same. On audio; there is some static there.

@TheChase Yeah I wonder if Koori Radio does have two txers on air or if something is interfering with it? Puzzle…

3 Likes

Hyperthetically speaking if Koori consistantly puts out bad TX signals or pour programming material, I wonder if the HPON could be taken back and up for re-evaluation? Be interesting as it’s demographic covers only 1.28% of Sydney’s population, where I know they are much larger demographic groups in Sydney.

More likely than not, the 93.7 frequency would be re-advertised as a community licence (especially taking into account the spare AM HPON allocation in the Sydney licence area plan that is currently unused)

1 Like

Though the Sydney metropolitan area has the largest Aboriginal population in Australia.

2 Likes

Koori isn’t an HPON though – it’s a community broadcast service.

3 Likes

The spare HPON on AM is for Penrith (1386 kHz). However, there is an unused community AM allocation for Sydney (783 kHz).

Sydney LAP: https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2017C01135

I assume getting the AM community licence would be a pathway to broadcasting on the community radio allocation on DAB+ also?

3 Likes

I always thought that was an interesting choice of frequency given the geographical proximity to Gosford, where 801 is a 5kw HPON.

2 Likes