Capital Radio Network

A certain breakfast radio announcer hoping to get noticed at the Mid Winter Ball by photo bombing Sam Neill and Laura Tingle.

Is that what Tim Shaw looks like these days?

Now it’s clear why Sam is on the ABC self love promos, nothing like a staff member in the family.

1 Like

Does anyone know why the Mid winter ball is held in Spring?

That was asked in a couple of news stories but there was no answer. I don’t listen to Shaw, but maybe he had an answer.

because mid winter in Canberra would be f***in freezing

Why not just call it the Spring ball then.

Dunno. mid winter probably sounds better

3GG’s Strong 531 Signal is heard in most of Melbourne and Geelong.

2 Likes

How’s the new building for Canberra going?

Looking at their website, 2CA in Canberra is now doing the “Ten From Then” weekdays at Midday, where they play 10 songs from this week from a particular year, taken from the original 2CA Top 40 charts.

3 Likes

Yes, I noticed that when driving through Canberra at the start of the month. They were featuring 1968 and played ‘Indian Lake’ by The Cowsills which is a bit of a wowser.

What is it about? Do you have an immense music knowledge or run Shazam?

It’s a bubblegum pop tune. The Cowsills’ big hit was ‘The Rain, The Park and Other Things’ which was featured in Dumb and Dumber among other places.

And yes, I’m a bit of a music nerd.

1 Like

The “A-Z of Forever Classics” that was aired on 2CA & 6iX in January this year, has won an ACRA for Best Music Special Provincial.

1 Like

3GG’s Lineup from around 11PM to 12AM included:
Jackson Browne - Running On Empty
Martha & The Muffins - Echo Beach
Boney M- Daddy Cool
Julian Lennon - Salt Water
Roy Orbison - Mystery Girl
The Goo Goo Dolls - Iris
Blancmange - Living On The Ceiling
Kiki Dee - Amoureuse
Steve Forbert - Romeo’s Tune
Paul Simon - Me and Julio down by the Schoolyard.
The Bangles - Walk like an Egyptian
Ram Jam - Black Betty
The Pretenders - Hymn to her
Australian Crawl - Beautiful People
Skyhooks - Horror Movie

4 Likes

The above log is pretty much identical on 2GN & 2XL, as all three of those stations carry the same log.

2 Likes

Yep- a quintessential ‘Forever Classic’ log, that one.

1 Like

Former PD of 2XL and Former Drive/APD/MD at 2CA, 2CC & Eagle FM, George Mihalos, has passed away after a long fight with a recurring illness.

Source: Radioinfo

1 Like

I see he also did a lot of work with 2SSR, and his funeral will be at Kogarah. Perhaps that’s why Gazza Warne of 2XL does 2SSR voiceovers.

RIP.

1 Like

The online stream I get for 2ca is only average quality, I switch it back to SWR sounds a lot better all things being equal. It is interesting how some community radio stations have better quality streams than commercial networks. Not saying SWR is perfect, FM is better in my opinion, but its like listening to a 64 stream on dab which is adequate.

Its a shame I like 2ca compared to 2ch, when i am in a forever classics mood. :slight_smile:

1 Like