Capital Radio Network

Snow FM would be included. They take the exact same local bulletins as 2XL.

This is a new thing. Not sure what the case is currently, but previously a journalist based in Jindanyne compiled the 2XL/Snow and 3GG bulletins.

These stations are managed together, being the only Capital stations that are not joint venturers with Grant Broadcasters. Note that applications are to be directed to Andrew Dunkerley who is based at 2XL.

I assume they’ve decided that 3GG being and larger and competitive market will benefit more from a local journo and possibly also be easier to find someone of quality given its proximity to Melbourne.

1 Like

Both 2CA & 6iX had played their entire music libraries from 1/A to Z over the past 18 days, which concluded just before Midday on Saturday.

More: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/news/forever-classic-2ca-and-6ix-played-their-entire-music-libraries

2 Likes

Would of thought the playlist would of been bigger. More like 100000 songs. 2300 seems to little.

100,000? Rather ambitious. I’m surprised it’s as much as 2300 really given how repetitive radio can be.

1 Like

I guess with Google Play Music having over 30 million tracks, I would of thought 100000 songs would be about right.

1 Like

According to this link, it appears that 2GN & 2XL are not taking the Continuous Call Team this year. At least for the first round of the NRL, they don’t appear to be taking NRL Nation either. For the record, 2CC are taking both the Continuous Call Team & NRL Nation, as well as their own call team for Canberra Raiders matches.

This leads me to think that 2GN & 2XL are probably following in the footsteps of 3GG on being “Football Free” all weekend, meaning that they would be the only two regional adult commercial radio stations in NSW (ie. outside of Canberra, Wollongong & Central Coast) to not have a sport/talk program on weekends. Both stations will still carry Ray Hadley & Alan Jones on weekday mornings.

1 Like

ABC coverage of the same games is easily receivable in all three markets mentioned.

It is good for format diversity that two stations in the one small market are not running similar content.

This is no loss.

The more stations that woke up to themselves and cut the cord to the largely rubbish syndication from MRN in Sydney, the better.

Stations in Qld and NSW would do themselves a favour (and a cost saving) if they ditched the now diminished quality of MRN’s News Maker service or the metro bulletins or pre feed national bulletins.

For those using News Maker for their bulletins, what are they really getting for their money that they can’t rewrite from elsewhere and tailor it to their local market? They certainly don’t need the grabs, you can attribute TV grabs easily.

1 Like

It Seems 3GG from Warragul can be Heard Easily in Melbourne given the Strong 531 AM Signal they can receive.

Yes it can. In the old days I used to listen to it as 3UL (it became 3GG in 1989)

3UL_1987

1 Like

@TelevisionAU do you know who owned it back then and over the years? (prior to recent times with RG Capital/SCA then Blyton)

It was owned for a long time by Associated Broadcasting Services which also owned 3SR, 3YB, 3MP, BTV6 and GMV6. I don’t recall who else had owned 3UL/GG along the way

1 Like

Yes, I remember of that ownership. I’m interested in either side of that too, I recall when RG acquired GG, it was from a consortium of local business owners (would like to know who and how they acquired it too).

Probably more for the radio history thread, but this is my knowledge:

• 1937 - 3UL established by The Argus newspaper (who also owned 3SR, 3YB and had a network arrangement with 3UZ)
  • 1957 Argus Broadcasting including 3UL sold to a newly floated company Associated Broadcasting Services (ABS) with the closure of the Argus (and changes to broadcast laws requiring Australian ownership)
  • 1989 ENT (listed Tasmanian media company) acquires ABS and consequently sells 3UL and 3SR for $9.5M to interests associated with the Fairley family interests in Shepparton through Shepparton Broadcasting Services Pty Ltd (SBS). 3UL relaunched as 3GG.
  • 1991 Contract by Wesgo to buy 3SR & 3GG from SBS terminated
  • 1992 Burl Rose Pty Ltd (local investors) acquires station
  • 2000 Burl Rose Pty Ltd sells station to RG Capital
  • 2004 Macquarie Regional Radio acquires RG Capital including 3GG
  • 2007 Macquarie acquires Southern Cross Broadcasting, triggering the sale of 3GG to Resonate to meet ownership laws
  • 2015 3GG sold by Resonate to Capital Radio
2 Likes

Radio Info announced in May last year that Capital were building new studios for 2CC & 2CA, with the aim of being in there by November 2017, but they still haven’t moved in. Does anyone have any more info or know what the hold up is? Maybe one of our Canberra locals can give an update of how the building is progressing.

1 Like

I had a look this morning. The building structure is finished but the internal fitout isn’t it seems, and the landscaping hasn’t started with the grounds a muddy mess during the rain today. Presumably the driveway and carpark will have to be laid before the building can be occupied. There’s a decent sized utility access hole that’s been dug out the front beside the road, but couldn’t see what that is for. Completion seems to be a little while away yet.

1 Like

Starting from Sunday 2nd September, two Perth radio icons, John ‘Burgo’ Burgess & Ian ‘Blackers’ Blackley, will present a new Sunday morning program airing 9am-12pm on 6iX, to be titled “Burgo & Blackers BS”.

Source: Radioinfo

1 Like

As was down the snow the last few days, spent quite a bit of time listening to Snow fm / Eagle.
Really enjoyed the playlist, not to repititive and played lots of new music that should be played on Nova.

In Jindabyne all shop radios were tuned to Snow Fm, did not hear 2XL once. Now back in Sydney having to put up with boring Greatest Hits!!!

1 Like

Andrew Dunkerley is the GM for XL/Snow. He knows the market very well and a capable operator.

He’s what is needed in greater supply in regional radio. For the sake of radio, you hope such people will become the Gary Roberts of metro radio.

1 Like

Old post, but was reminded of it when this thread popped back up a few days back…

I wonder what other people’s experiences are, but 3GG’s signal is absolutely garbage for me. Gold 1242 comes through clearly, but not 3GG.

1 Like

I used to listen to 3UL (now 3GG) in Melbourne in the 1980s. It used to come through quite clearly with not much interference even on my pocket radio. They used to have Take 40 Australia on Sunday afternoons (as opposed to Fox FM having it on Saturday night), so I used to listen to that often.

I also used to get decent reception of 7BU (and to a lesser extent 7SD) down that end of the dial.

More recently I’d only be able to get 3GG on the car radio, not so much on normal indoor radios, though I’ve never really had much reason to seek it out now.

2 Likes