Capital Radio Network

4 Likes

The depth of the Blyton Group is quite astonishing; most of the prominent advertisers on XL are controlled by him (Selwyn and Charlotte Pass snow resort, Snowy Mountains Airport, Magic Mountain Merimbula and Cooma/Jindabyne Twin Cinemarrr).

He is the magnate of the Monaro.

4 Likes

How does his Snowy Mountains radio stations make money when most of the advertising is for his businesses?

Anyway he has done very well, and owns half the Snowy Mountains!!!

3 Likes

That’s no exaggeration.

Yes with that circular advertising arrangement (essentially paying himself) he wouldn’t be getting revenue from it. But I’m assuming the other parts of the conglomerate are much more profitable than XL/Snow at this point; XL/Snow is his ‘train set’ to use a Caralian aphorism.

3 Likes

By running actual businesses, cash-flow positive that aren’t inter company loan Ponzi schemes.

7 Likes

I’m not sure where the evening news updates for GN/XL/GG are produced from?? I suspect maybe out of 6IX where they might still have staff on deck at this time of day (given time differences).

As I just had a good chuckle at the male newsreader trying to pronounce the surname of the Gold Coast Titans NRL player Tino Fa’asuamaleaui in the 9pm update… The poor guy had about 4 attempts to say it! Guess he’s never heard it before if he’s in an AFL state.

4 Likes

I think that’s Nine Radio’s prefeed bulletin. The readers on that bulletin and on Nine’s live overnight bulletins have some very peculiar pronunciations.
“Sir John Beeyunkee Petersen” (the former Queensland premier)
“Dallallan Whatareknee Zellesneslesnezliakinaks” (The Warriors player whose name got longer every hour)
“In finance, the Dow Jones is up 100, 200, 400! …and 8 points” (wow, the Dow is rocketing up!)
“Somatic failure” “systesmatic failure” (same story at different hours)

I could go on but it’s exhausting after a while.

5 Likes

Any idea what happened to the 6iX Breakfast Show? Their website doesn’t list any announcers at breakfast.

5 Likes

Probably in a bit of flux, appears Rob McCasker left several weeks ago, according to the posts from listeners on 6IX’s Facebook asking where he went. :thinking:

There are still posts about Nat (the other host) on there so perhaps she’s doing the show by herself at the moment.

5 Likes

I’m not surprised seeing as it’s Rob. Always itchy feet to move to his next project/idea.

1 Like

Maca Dixon departed 2CA over a month ago. Although his name still occupies the URL, the 9:00 to 14:00 shift is now filled be Che Gadenne

Cathy Dinn has returned after a 5 week break. Rob Duckworth worked 14:00 to 19:00 in her absence

3 Likes

Amazing that Che is alive. Haven’t seen his name in radio for years. Hope Macca is doing ok and found work somewhere.

1 Like

There has been recent discussions on the “Regional Radio (non-SCA)” & “Radio Stations - Hourly Music Logs” threads about the recent changes to the music formats of Eagle FM/Snow FM and GNFM/XLFM/3GG.

Here’s a recent log of GNFM from earlier this week below:

Looking at Lava just now, it appears that “TGIF 80s” on GN/XL/GG, which was a weekly highlight on those stations for those among us here, have been dropped late last month as a result of the aforementioned changes, with the last installment appeared to have aired on 23rd February.

2 Likes

Also 10 from then which was on weekdays at 2pm is gone too.

1 Like

2CA & 6iX are still running their “10 From Then”, which airs at 12pm weekdays.

3 Likes

The “70s at 7” on GNFM/XLFM/3GG may no longer be on at 7pm Mondays to Thursdays, but just having a look on Lava, they’re now doing “70s Sunday Mornings” at 6-9am Sundays on those stations. This is in line with 2CA & 6iX doing “60s Sunday Mornings”.

4 Likes

Few of my views.
Have been a listener to GNFM and XLFM and have noticed the that the same presenters are on both stations. Makes me wonder if their timeslots are pre recorded.

Also disappointed that GNFM has dumped it’s all 80s TGIF. I enjoyed those 80s related bumpers.

I still listen cause they have a good mix of music.

2 Likes

Yes, agree that all GN/XL shifts outside of breakfasts would most likely be voice tracked / pre-recorded.

The GN/XL log is still okay, just not as great as it once was. Hope they bring back TGIF 80s too at some point.

1 Like

Eagle / Snow fm are the same with it mostly voice tracked outside of breakfast. You know it is live when they give current temperatures in the weather forecast at the end of the News.
When it is voice tracked the weather is just the forecast from the BOM.

1 Like

Also they have been giving away trips to see concerts in the USA

Current one is The Rolling Stones in LA

The last 2 were Madonna in Palm Springs California and Billy Joel in New York.

But what puzzles me is the promos say you get tickets to the concert, air fares and $5000 spending money. It says nothing about accommodation. It says nothing about it in the terms and conditions either. So i can assume you are on your own there.

3 Likes