Canberra Radio

Is Becko still at 2CA Canberra? Just looking at their website and Macka is now doing the shift which Becko was previously doing.

3 Likes

Regional station DJs often seem to use some sort of a nickname eg. Becko, Macka whereas metro ones don’t as much?

I wonder why that is
. do regional ones want to hide their true identity a bit more being in smaller towns? Or does it make them seem a bit more relatable to laid back country folk? Not that Canberra is “country” as such.

2 Likes

Chris Beckhouse has been known as Becko for a long time. It’s nothing to do with regional radio. He was known by that name even when he worked in cap city markets for over 20 years.

3 Likes

Question remains unanswered, is Becko there or another quick departure from Kevin’s stations?

1 Like

Becko’s out of radio all together to my knowledge - wasn’t there for very long was he?

As mentioned above, Macka Dixon has moved up from XLFM MD/afternoons to take his place at 2CA as PD and daytime announcer.

4 Likes

Wow. All those years at Triple M then a brief stint in Canberra and that’s it?

1 Like
4 Likes

Thanks @thesub1, I’m surprised Bronte stayed as long as she has this year. Talent lies far beyond Canberra market.

Hopefully the ARN/SCA JV continue to invest in local drive.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see Will & Woody beam into Canberra following their departure.

It’s also surprising their is still no K&J in the ACT capital.

2 Likes

Im guessing because SCA runs programming for Hit and Mix, so don’t want to use ARN programming even though it’s a joint venture.

2 Likes

I wonder what the situation would be if the Canberra Radio joint venture allowed SCA to program one station and ARN the other?

104.7 Triple M ? 106.3 KIIS ?

I am sure the market would be much better musically.

4 Likes

I guess that depends on what ARN would do with Mix, if they go for more of a KIIS format and branding, or GOLD or leave as is.

If they went KIIS, SCA might then flip 104.7 to Triple M, but otherwise i reckon it would stay as Hit.

3 Likes

Yes Hit would still work if Mix 106.3 joined the Gold Network.

I still find there is a bit of crossover with some of the newer music that gets played on Mix and Hit.

Jonnas Brothers comes to mind.

3 Likes

Mix now takes both Christian O’Connell and Jonesy and Amanda in nights.

6 Likes

Thanks @AustralianAerial, prompted me to view Mix’s show page.

Very interesting collection of programs, most developed in Canberra.

The JV seems more we’ll resourced than wholly owned subsidiaries of either company. Reminiscent of Brisbane’s 973 before cost cutting saw the end of local drive, nights and ‘live’ weekends.

Mix would surely be running one of the highest levels of local content. Well done.

6 Likes

And on top of the above, Mix 106.3 is one of the last few regional commercial radio stations in this country to still have its own music log that is exclusive for that station. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Same here. I was not aware of so many local shows on Mix106.3.

Interesting that they’re on as late as 9-10pm some nights. Plus they have a local sports show 6-7pm weeknights.

Very ‘Triple M’ of them to have this much sport.

Does Mix106.3 take Triple M’s NRL call?

2 Likes

I listen to Mix 106.3 every day in the van after and before school and I just listen to Kristin & Nige and I don’t know what replaces BrontĂ« and Wilko maybe a show with no hosts

3 Likes

A local may correct me, but I don’t
 believe so? They have their own call team to take Canberra Raiders games, but I don’t think they take any more. (It’d also be awkward to point them to Listnr to listen to a Triple M NRL feed since it’s promoted as an ARN style/iHeart station
 of course 104.7 could in theory do that.)

Triple M might be the only coverage Canberra doesn’t get, as 2CC has the Continuous Call, and now there is an SEN Track station in Canberra they will also get selected NRL Nation games.

4 Likes

You’re right. Mix have their own Raiders commentary team. Triple M is the only coverage not broadcast locally as you rightly noted 2CC take 2GB, SEN Track gets one game of NRL Nation per week, and then there’s the ABC.

A few years back Mix took Triple M’s Monday Night Football but I don’t think that lasted more than a year.

7 Likes