Canberra Radio

Personally surprised they haven’t already! Seriously though, I think the networks, at least outside Sydney/Melbourne, can go national outside of Breakfast and Drive.

3 Likes

Jason Costa has joined Canberra’s Forever Classic 2CA as Program Director and Workday presenter.

Jason takes over from Marc McCreadie who has been 2CA’s program director and workday presenter for the past five years.

1 Like

Mix 106.3 taking the same music log as Mix 94.5 Perth this morning :thinking:

9 Likes

Probably easy if they just play the same feed, and call it Mix.

3 Likes

I wish they would announce what’s happening (if anything) in Canberra. I still wonder if 104.7 will switch over to Triple M.

5 Likes

FWIW Hit104.7 is currently on the same log as The Fox

5 Likes

Yeah it’s a bid weird right now with both Canberra FM stations having Hit network music, it still makes me think 104.7 just might become Triple M in the new year.

4 Likes

This move by Canberra fm again creates more uncertainty in this market over the direction of each of their stations.

SCA / ARN may see how the changes go in Perth and mirror them in the Canberra.
Hit 104.7 become 104.7 Triple M with the Perth log, Triple M Rocks Canberra. Mix 106.3 takes the same log as Mix 94.5 with some SCA programming but retains the ARN logo.

6 Likes

While I agree that we’ll probably see Mix 106.3 retain the ARN KIIS-style logo if Perth-like changes were to happen to the national capital’s commercial FM stations, I reckon a Mix 106.3 logo in the current Hit Network style would look pretty good.

5 Likes

Agreed - certainly better than what they’ve got now!

7 Likes

Totally agree,
ARN would have to give in to SCA to allow Mix to be rebranded with the current Hit SCA logo.
Obviously music wise they are not fussed as Mix 106.3 was able to take Mix 94.5’s log today.

In Canberra flipping the formats of both stations would be a much easier task then Perth, there is no other commercial fm competition. Mix 106.3 would have to leave iHeartRadio.

With both stations taking similar logs today potentially hints to changes next year.

It just depends on what ARN would allow SCA to do to Mix 106.3.

If Hit 104.7 was to become Triple M and Mix 106.3 mirrored the present Mix 94.5 log the Canberra fm market would go back to how it sounded late 90’s early 2000’s. Triple J would pickup the younger market (18-24)

You can always listen to Snow fm on dab+ for your CHR fix.

4 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t ever see ARN letting 106.3 realign with the Hit network. But I think we will see it continue to take Hit music, and probably stay local 6-6. SCA will probably rebrand 104.7 to Triple M (I don’t see them keeping hit104.7 on the old branding, so they must be planning something). Mix will probably take 2DayFM Morning Crew highlights from 6 (and maybe timeshifted Carrie & Tommy for nights?) while Kennedy Molloy go over to 104.7

3 Likes

I’m sensing 104.7 Triple M Canberra in 2021.

Makes sense to do exactly what Perth have done. Their FM stations are in a similar predicament with Hit sounding too young for the current national Hit format, and Mix sounding more Hit than ever before.

Plus, no logo change for Canberra Hit.

Watch this space.

7 Likes

Mix 106.3 might do an i98 and have a local drive and then Carrie & Tommy on delay from 6 or 7pm instead of taking Ash London live.
They would affectively swap Kennedy Molloy for C&T.

I think this is more likely then Mix 106.3 becoming KIIS 106.3 and taking all networked programming from KIIS 106.5. The current SCA Hit programming would be lost from the Canberra market, and it rated well on Hit 104.7.

All other programming would remain the same with the music skewing more Hit Network but older mirroring Mix 94.5.

Both Mix 106.3 and 104.7 Triple M would remain in the top 3 ratings wise but the cumms for both stations would probably drop a bit.

4 Likes

If SCA decides to rebrand Hit 104.7 as Triple M 104.7, you’d have to imagine that most if not all presenters/shows on both Canberra commercial FM stations are likely to swap frequencies.

Going by what I know about both stations, it’s not hard to imagine just about everything on Mix 106.3 working fine on a Triple M station. Ned & Josh and Gemma Maddox (I think they’re the only local shows on 104.7 these days, although correct me if I’m wrong) would probably be fine on a reformatted Mix 106.3, but I’m not sure if they’d really fit the Triple M mould!

I could imagine ABC Canberra taking the lead for a little while after any switch.

But realistically, I don’t think 104.7 and 106.3 are in any serious threat of dropping out of the top 3 because the market has virtually no competition. Sure there’s 2CA/2CC, but all the radio ratings results I’ve seen from Canberra have them typically sitting at (or near) the bottom of the ladder!

3 Likes

Was Canberra fm doing dual programming recently with the same DJ on both stations? Gemma could do Triple M / Mix 106.3 morning / Arvo’s.

Yes ABC Canberra would most likely go #1 as you suggested, but you could also see Triple J become more of a threat to the duopoly like it is in Newcastle if the younger listeners get disenfranchised by any changes made to Hit 104.7.

2 Likes

One key difference with Perth is that Hit92.9 was regularly rating last or 2nd last amongst the commercial FM stations there. So they had a reason to flip formats and realign stations, and SCA owned both 92.9 and 94.5.

But in Canberra 104.7 and 106.3 are both still rating well, due mostly to no commercial FM competition there. And a different ownership structure.

So I’d be surprised if anything much happens in Canberra.

4 Likes

From what I recall, 104.7 was a high rating station in 2015 but that certainly didn’t stop the Early 2016 rebrand to Hit 104.7!

2 Likes

104.7 needed a name of some sort, and all network stations were being branded Hit. The music largely stayed the same.

3 Likes

It wasn’t just the brand that changed though, I seem to recall a few presenters leaving just before the relaunch with others (who’ve since left) being brought in!

4 Likes