Canberra Radio

At least put Triple M on DAB. A cheaply run announcer free station would work:

‘There’s enough hot air in Canberra as it is, and we’re not talking about summer. It’s time to bring rock and roll back to make Canberra a little less boring. Dan-na-na Welcome to the newest station in the capital, Triple M Canberra Digital’

3 Likes

I dismissed it to but obviously Canberra fm are watching what’s going on in Perth closely with today’s Mix 94.5 / 106.3 log. I believe there is still an odd chance it could happen.

Scotty and Nige, a Canberra institution left Fm 104.7 before they relaunched to Hit 104.7. It was rumoured they were pushed if I remember correctly.

I cannot remember who replaced them when they relaunched to Hit 104.7 but the ratings dived a bit and Mix 106.3 became the #1 station in Canberra. Nige came back to do drive on Mix 106.3 at the time of the Hit 104.7 relaunch.

6 Likes

Ryan Jon & Tanya Hennessy did the Hit 104.7 brekky show after the relaunch. They left in October 2017.

5 Likes

Yeah - even if it meant also including a KIIS digital to keep the ARN side of things happy.

3 Likes

Thanks for that,

Ned & Josh took Hit 104.7 back to #1 in the most recent survey. Before this Mix 106.3 had a consistent run at #1.

3 Likes

The old hit104.7 logo plus a Hit-network log (Mix Perth) on Mix 106.3 appear quite suggestive that 104.7 could well become Triple M, and soon, now that Perth is done.

In Perth SCA saw they had nothing to lose by the changes, and as others have suggested Canberra FM wouldn’t really lose anything in the long term because there isn’t real competition in Canberra radio.

It looks like SCA announced the Perth changes only a fortnight before the on-air changes, so the question is how long do they let that settle before announcing anything for Canberra?
When will the regular breakfast shows end this year?
Will SCA aim for a new brand on New Year’s Day, or is that too much work on a public holiday? Would they want Triple M to be live at midnight on Friday 1 January?

4 Likes

I wouldn’t read too much into the logo thing though - how long did Mix 106.3 keep the crucifix logo for after the network dumped it?

3 Likes

Late last year or early this year, I think.

Even now though, the previous Mix 106.3 logo is still on parts of the website:

3 Likes

Despite the new Hit jingles playing at specific hours, which puts an image of the new Hit logo in my head.

1 Like

Which is what was happening in Perth (during network shows).

2 Likes

Looking at the playlist for Mix 106.3 today, they’re doing the “80s Hour” on Fridays from 12-1pm, whilst Mix 94.5 will have “RnB Fridays” in that timeslot. This would be one of those moments where Mix in Canberra & Perth go their separate ways, as Hit 104.7 already has “RnB Fridays”.

7 Likes
1 Like

While I agree with this point…

…would it not be unreasonable to predict that 60s/70s music may be dropped from the playlists of all music radio stations (not just FM ones) over the next decade or two? I mean, it has now been 41 years since 1979 and 60 since 1960!

That’s not to say that there aren’t great songs from the 1960s or 1970s of course, but “Classic Hits” is an ever changing, shifting format.

What I’d be rather interested to know is whether 2CC currently suffers from any interference from 2GF inside Canberra.

From a Sydney perspective, while it isn’t uncommon to hear 2CC’s signal at night I’m pretty sure that 2GF dominates 1206AM reception for the most part.

2 Likes

…would it not be unreasonable to predict that 60s/70s music may be dropped from the playlists of all music radio stations (not just FM ones) over the next decade or two? I mean, it has now been 41 years since 1979 and 60 since 1960!

Yeah you could be right. But I think the 60s and 50s was the start of pop music and could live on. Like Classical music lives on too. I wasn’t born in the 60s, I was too young in the 70s but still like some of the music from that era.

There should be still be a market. Elvis / Beatles / Elton John / Billy Joel etc should live on for the next 100 years or beyond :slight_smile:. Like Shakespeare does. Community radio in Australia more fill this gap if commerical radio doesn’t.

4 Likes

Personally I think 60s and 70s music has at least another 20 - 30 years being popular. 80s music will still be popular in 30 years. There just isn’t enough good music being made anymore to replace it. The massive hits of today just sound like run of the mill 80s songs :). And nothing that’s been made since 2000 is as innovative or groundbreaking as the Beatles or even Elton John.

5 Likes

Okay boomer

3 Likes

I’m not quite in Canberra but I do suffer some interference from 2GF at night, to the point where I can just about listen to Mr. India.

4 Likes

AM gets patchy (ie receivable but more rural grade reception) around Lake George going to Sydney? I’d imagine it would suffer some issues around there but it has been a while since I have been down there listening to AM radio in the evening :slight_smile:.

2 Likes

I’m not a boomer FYI.

I’m Gen X

What else you got? An original response perhaps?

3 Likes

I think there is some decent new material if you look hard enough…but as for chart music it was definitely better pre 2000. But I think even the obscure stuff of yore beats the obscure stuff of today, simply because it wasn’t allowed to rise to the top.

The proof is somewhat in the pudding, with retro acts riding a wave of popularity among the yoof.

Tying this back to Canberra radio…hmmm… difficult. I will have a listen to UCFM (when I can get the darn thing) to see if they dig up some classics amongst the new stuff.

6 Likes