Cada (formerly The Edge 96.1)

CADA is the Edge 96.1, now with Throwbacks and Community radio Dj’s.
Too be honest they should have kept the Edge 96.1 as it was, CADA still fits Beats that move you.

6 Likes

It seems to have been a flop like the previous couple of attempts to be the “Home of R’n’B”. They now have just as much Dance music as they did before, which I actually prefer hearing.

100% agree. It was better as Edge. Hate the Throwbacks which are now older than 5 years and have just made them more like Nova and 2Day. The amatuerish DJs makes me switch.

6 Likes

Maybe it’s time to go back to alt-rock (hello 1998) or even surrender the frequency to Vision FM.

3 Likes

As a comumunity radio DJ I take offense to that… I think were above Cada!

6 Likes

Yes, calling Cada announcers “community radio” is an insult to most in community radio, they actually have a passion for radio and want to be there unlike most on CADA who prefer to be on social media

8 Likes
3 Likes

Hip hop & RnB station has launched a club dance show.

Just move away from the hip hop & RnB positioner and just admit it - you play dance (the same way 2Day won’t admit it plays 80’s music).

5 Likes

I still can not understand what the point was blowing up the Edge, at least “Beats that Move You” better fits the current format of CADA then the home of Hip Hop and RNB.

6 Likes

Does anybody in this forum actually agree with the relaunch of CADA?

I suppose The Edge brand had ties to “the edge of Sydney” (linking to its roots), but it also meant a lot more (e.g. “edgy” radio).

3 Likes

Not me. I think it’s an epic fail. Blowing up The Edge for this? Disaster.

6 Likes

Nobody was a winner. Sydney lost The Edge and The Edge lost Mike E and Emma.

5 Likes

No, there was nothing wrong with the Edge. The launch of Cada was designed to remove all Western Sydney localism from the Edge in the hope that it would rate higher in other capital cities.

Going by the dab+ ratings to date in other capital cities it has been a complete failure.
Also the stations promise to be 100% RnB and Hip Hop is incorrect, just like 2day fm promising to only play 90’s to today.

5 Likes

It’s a lot worse now. They have way too many R&B throwbacks which you already hear on 2Day, Nova and KIIS. The new presenters sound amateur and tryhard, who talk so mich rubbish that they make me turn off. And this is the third time they’ve tried to relaunch as a HipHop/R&B station and the third time they are going back to including more Club/Dance music.

3 Likes

Music doesn’t have a use by date.

The big difference is that The Edge didn’t play any throwbacks older than five years. Now they play the same as the other three. That makes them more same same, so why bother?

4 Likes

Ah, makes sense. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sort of, though the first logo they used (after changing from the 9inety6ix.1 brand) was a rip-off of the New Zealand station of the same name, with slight changes - ironically one of the networks of their competitors across the ditch, go figure. (Admittedly hardly the first time that type of transplant’s happened; i98 FM’s logo comes to mind.)

The resemblance to The Edge NZ probably fit while they were still on their “very new music only” format that carried over from 9inety6ix.1, but didn’t last long along with the first attempt to pivot to rhythmic - thankfully for them, a generic word like “Edge” can be made to mean a lot of things :upside_down_face:

On the initial question: do I agree with the rebrand? Aside from them probably thinking they can create a new “audio” brand, able to be extended beyond radio, rather than something tied to a western Sydney radio station - mehhhh? :man_shrugging: Though they have to decide whether to be just a “hip hop and R&B” brand, or embrace their actual rhythmic format with a slogan like… well they had the perfect one before, the “Hits/Beats That Move You” one. But they’ve had a bob each way on that for the past 15 years; I don’t expect ARN to change quickly on that.

3 Likes

Heard an ad for CADA and they say they are streaming on iHeart and DAB. No mention of 96.1 FM.

• Are they still on 96.1 FM?
  • If so, are there separate announcements/advertising for 96.1 FM and DAB+/web?

Looking at iheart.com there are five streams for CADA, presumably one for each state capital. That said, Melbourne’s CADA on DAB+ has a lot of Sydney ads.

2 Likes

One for each listener? In the other capitals at least.

4 Likes

The Edge 96.1 used to play at the place where I used to get my haircuts. So there was more than one listener in this non-Sydney state capital.

3 Likes