Brands, Products and Promotions

CCA coming off as very desparate at the moment with a seemingly endless revolving door of limited time flavors.

2 Likes

this is yet another coke product that doesn’t use their circle branding scheme. No sugar, coffee, raspberry and cherry (cherry imported from UK) all have a coloured band around the label/top of can instead of the colour surrounding the red circle

Parents group Parents’ Voice has accused Coca-Cola and The Salvation Army of promoting unhealthy drink to children. The Coca-Cola Christmas Truck, which is on its first tour around Australia, is due to arrive at Carols in the Domain in Sydney on December 17, and Parents’ Voice is petitioning to stop the tour.

Vanilla and Ginger too.

I was in the supermarket and noticed the new wrappers on Twix bars were not as golden and shiny as the old wrappers. Looking closely, I noticed the new ones are 50g compared to the old ones which were 55g.

I jumped online and saw an article from the UK about the ever-shrinking sizes of chocolate bars. Apparently Twix were 60g back in the 80s, then 58g in the 2000s and 55g in 2010s and now 50g in 2017.

How small can they get?

The smaller they get, the more twix I’ll be able to have up my sleeve for parties!

3 Likes

Can somebody please coherently explain the current Kraft / Mondelez / Bega situation (e.g.) Cadbury, Vegemite, etc.

Seems like such an ownership mess.

Coming soon to a supermarket near you: Vegemite icy pole!
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/lifestyle/food/vegemite-icy-poles-send-twitter-into-meltdown/news-story/56051f0a134ffcf30bf7f9f945bfcd7e

2 Likes

As someone who can eat Vegemite with a teaspoon, I’m keen.

2 Likes

Yum. Deffo trying those.

The Kraft / Bega / Dairylea cheese situation looks a mess. My thinking that Woolworths had pulled Bega-owned Dairylea processed cheese (what was Kraft) and replaced it with the new Kraft processed cheese doesn’t seem correct.

In 2009, Bega purchased the Kraft processed cheese factory in Strathmerton and signed a long-term supply agreement with Kraft Australia, so Bega was making Kraft Singles. That supply agreement transferred to Mondelez Australia when Kraft split in two.

When Bega purchased the Mondelez-owned Kraft processed cheese business in Australia earlier this year they were buying the right to sell what they had already been making, and were then forced to change the name to Dairylea as Mondelez Australia had lost the rights to the Kraft brand from Dec 2017.

Now the Dairylea processed cheese has been pulled from Woolworths, replaced by Kraft Singles branded cheese that claims to be made by Heinz Australia (owned by Kraft Heinz). However a close look at the labels of the Dairylea cheese and Kraft cheese finds that they both come from the same factory, the Strathmerton factory. So it is Bega who appear to be dropping the Dairylea name just months after they introduced it, and have done a deal with Heinz to again make Kraft cheese.

Vegemite and Bonox is now owned by Bega. Cadbury is owned by Mondelez.

1 Like

People recognise iconic and heritage logos / packaging though, not good IMO.

I speak of a few personal favs:

•Kraft Peanut Butter (my current one titled “The Good Nut” :expressionless:)
•Kraft Cheddar Cheese block (blue box)
•Kraft Vegemite (not as bad)
•Kraft Cheese (Dairylea?)
•Kraft Parmesan Cheese (green tub)

–

Here’s what I understand:

2012:
Kraft & Heinz companies merge in the US. Spinning-off US snack brands & international (grocery and snack brands) business under a new company Mondelez International.

US (parent) companies at present, under NASDAQ stock exchange, internationally:

•Kraft Heinz Company
•Mondelez International

2013:
Therefore in Australia, Kraft Foods becomes Mondelez International Australia (still operating both grocery - e.g. Kraft and snack - e.g. Cadbury brands).

Over next few years, “Kraft” brand slowly disappears, in favour of generic names - e.g. just Vegemite or other new names such as “Dairylea” and “The Good Nut”.

2017:
Mondelez International Australia sell grocery business (Kraft) to Bega Cheese, for nearly half a billion dollars. With “Kraft” and “Dairylea” names used under licence from Mondelez International Australia*, the former very soon expiring.

Hence, products such as the iconic peanut butter now titled “Bega Peanut Butter” (smooth or crunchy).

Bit of a messy handful of years.

Mondelez International Australia themselves having rights to the “Kraft” name under Kraft Heinz company in US.

When did Woolworths start stocking Coke No Sugar? They originally said they would not be carrying the line but I see it is on sale this week.

They were going to only stock it once Zero wasn’t available.

1 Like

Started a few weeks ago I think. Still stocking Zero as well.

I much prefer Zero so hoping it remains alongside No Sugar.

3 Likes

It wasn’t that they were refusing to stock it, it was just that they didn’t want to have extra lines on the shelf - especially with No Sugar being basically a duplicate of the older product with a slightly altered taste. So I’d imagine that once Zero is phased out, No Sugar will take its place.

I’m not too impressed with the name change, though. When ordering food at a restaurant, I think it’s much easier and less socially embarrassing just to ask for ‘zero’ instead of ‘no sugar’. They really should have just changed the formula and kept the ‘zero’ name.

I think this was one of the original factors behind calling it Coke Zero in the first place - their market research showed hesitation amongst people, especially young men, towards ordering ‘Diet Coke’ at restaurants, due to the perceived femininity of the brand. Pepsi fixed their problem by launching Pepsi Max several years earlier (which I believe outsells original Pepsi).

I can recall there were Diet Coke ads for a few years following the launch of Coke Zero which were clearly aimed at women, and not men (I think it involved marionettes?).

1 Like

I thought Zero was the same as No Sugar?
Just a different name?

I couldn’t taste any difference, though I haven’t tasted them side by side.

1 Like

One difference is that Coca-Cola has moved away from use of a chemical preservative, benzoate used in both Coke Zero and Coke Life.

The preservative has not been in Coke No Sugar or Coke Stevia and no longer features as an ingredient in the cola range, with the exception of Coke Zero as it’s phased out.

Here’s the article:
https://thenewdaily.com.au/life/eat-drink/2017/07/07/coke-zero-preservative/

1 Like

I mostly ask for it as Coke No Sugar, even though I’m sure if I asked for Zero they’d know what I’m asking for - but it just avoids any doubt or having to be asked if No Sugar is okay instead. I wouldn’t want to accidentally get Diet Coke instead.

Something I noticed on the bottle for that Raspberry Coke - that says it is a ‘25% less sugar’ version, with it having both sugar and ‘sweeteners’ - wonder why they’d be trying that, rather than just be Raspberry in the No Sugar coke, like the Coffee one was.

I wish theyd do a Coke No Sugar with mint :ok_hand:

2 Likes