Big Brother

4 Likes

Interesting that itā€™s in the media. Returning?

Hereā€™s the full video:

6 Likes

Gosh, the house is a complete mess. It was also pretty bad between the Ten and Nine seasons.

If this returned, would it be worth bringing it back here, or move to a different location?

2 Likes

Probably. We all know how the former home of Big Brother Australia desperately needs some positive media attention.

But personally I think this near two decade old format should be left to Australian TV history. It may have been exciting and different back in the Early 2000s, but the landscape was different back then.

1 Like
1 Like

I would suggest ā€œthe landscapeā€ is more ripe for this format right now, more so than back then!

Fly on the wall, social media integration, OTT streaming possibilities, loved-up housemates. Iā€™d say itā€™s bang on trend.

11 Likes

I think have the issue is that it is still priced as a premium format. It could be done much better on a low budget than some of the shows we see. Iā€™d also mirror it more of the US format than any of the Australian versions. The biggest hurdle would be casting, there is a reason shows like MAFS actually approach the majority of the cast rather than open applications.

1 Like

Agree entirely. Bring it back now in its orginal version & Not 9ā€™s Family friendly version would be quite successful.

5 Likes

More so? As if.

The landscape is flooded by these sorts of shows. It was a massive success when it launched because it was unlike anything else. Shows like Love Island, Bachelor In Paradise, Iā€™m A Celebrity are just versions of Big Brother, with a twist.

5 Likes

Another story in QLD on the BB house tonight ft Mike Goldman and Reggie.

3 Likes

So they can cherrypick the sluttiest and most spineless men and women to stir up weekly controversy for easy ratings?

As long as people continue to watch it, Nine will keep on making it. But from the little parts I watched, the majority of the most recent cast were absolute trash.

5 Likes

Pretty much, it makes them much easier to produce. The MAFS cast follow instructions well and are easily manipulated.

The best Big Brother cast we had were those not interested in Media Careers or Fame, Regie, Terri, Trevor.

But sometimes the interesting personalities didnā€™t get enough air time like Rachel Corbett.

4 Likes

Yeah, and the Big Brother house is part of the excess land that Ardent Leisure is planning on developing. That whole area being opposite the new Westfield Coomera makes it a prime spot.

2 Likes

like Fiji?

Perhaps they could use the USA set & infrastructure - just send the cast and host there. BBUS finishes up in late September. Could potentially be one of those CBS co-productions that 10 has alluded to in the past.

How is that cheaper?

2 Likes

Agree with a lot of the sentiments from Mike. Social Media would make a Big Brother in 2019 Massive!

2 Likes

Just like The Footy Show, Big Brother was a product of its time.

Before the existence of YouTube, Facebook, Spotify, it introduced Australia to online real time streaming when it never existed.

It just wouldnā€™t have anywhere near the interest as the older audience would always compare to previous seasons & a new audience wouldnā€™t consider it to be anything ā€œnewā€.

Lay it to rest

3 Likes

Well Big Brother has only just ended in the UKā€¦ so it lasted well into the digital age.

A show like this these days would suit late night viewing exactly like they do in the UK e.g. post 9.30pm. That way it could be a little more risky in the content that they show, and itā€™s not as in your face to younger viewers in prime time.

Having said that though I donā€™t think Big Brother should be rebooted here again anytime soon. Itā€™s had more than a fair go.

6 Likes