Big Brother

9GO aired last season but after the horrible ratings the last season got (sub 50k) I doubt any network will pick it up.

Not strictly related to Big Brother but…

I remember the first season of BB in 2001. A true reality TV phenomenon and must-see TV event. I think that’s the kind of show that Seven need to dethrone MAFS; Big event, true reality, risky, plenty of real drama than the manufactured ones and full of buzz. Seven needs the next Big Brother.

Or knowing them they could just revive the show in full and air it before the tennis and have a headstart on MAFS. I wouldn’t do it but wouldn’t put it past Seven doing it since nothing’s worked for them.

1 Like

Nine revived Big Brother and it didn’t fire in the same way the initial incarnation did on Ten.

Neither did Survivor when Seven revived it after Nine axed it. 10 managed to make it a moderate success when they revived it for the 3rd time so one can never say never.

I hope Seven will move away from their ‘family friendly’ focus and take some worthwhile risks against the juggernauts.

2 Likes

Nine’s version was not Big Brother. Making it family friendly was a massive mistake. Ten did it so well, even down to the production values. If BB ever comes back, it has to be on 10 for me.

2 Likes

Due to the fact that it was a family friendly version on Nine. If it was to return it has to be like the original

5 Likes

It doesn’t even have to be a Big Brother, they could always do something similar but new enough to appeal to the audience.

Shows like The Real World, Temptation Island, The Apprentice, The Farm, Popstars, Love and Hip Hop would be worthy investments.

2 Likes

The Seven Network is family friendly. They’re not going to change their brand identity and become focused on titles that are heavily geared towards younger audiences so if they did get back back on the Big Brother bandwagon the show wouldn’t be what we saw on Ten. I feel like Ten need it more and could do better with it. Their attempt to do broad skewing shows continues to fall flat and they should again focus on 16-39s.

3 Likes

Which is flawed thinking in this day and age. 10 tried targetting a broader demographics and we all saw what happened. All the success they’ve built up for many years collapsed within a few years.

In the not so near future the demos watching Seven won’t exist so what will Seven do? Shut down completely?

2 Likes

The reason Big Brother was such a hit back in the day is because it was the only reality tv show at the time and there was nothing else like it. Now days the market is saturated with reality. Eighteen years later, there seems to be no end in sight to audiences infatuation with trash tv.

3 Likes

:crazy_face: Yes because Australia’s Got Talent, Changing Rooms and Dancing With The Stars have been huge revival successes. :joy:

Gotta say, if Big Brother comes back on 10. One person should host it - Amanda Keller! She’d be bloody good. After seeing her on DWTS and the one liners and the way she presents she would be perfect for the show!
Better then Sonia too that’s for sure

5 Likes

Not Chris and Julia?

2 Likes

No I think Courtney act would have to be the host.

She would be great as well.

Amanda will be a perfect host

1 Like

Really impressed by Big Brother Canada this year. A bit of an anticlimax in the end but a great cast nonetheless. I really hope that 10 or another network can bring this show back in the near future.

1 Like

A friend of mine just posted a pic of her and her family at the BB Canada finale. Sounds like they had a great time.

3 Likes

Isn’t Big Brother Canada more the like the US version? I really don’t like that format. My partner watches the US one and I find it so gimmicky and the contestants are always so annoying.

BBCan uses the American game format (housemates vote each other off) but I’ll say that the contestants are more “real”.

BBUS, basically casts cartoon characters.

1 Like