Better Homes and Gardens

So, in Melbourne last night, basically what happened is they cut out some segments and other advertorial/in-program promotional stuff to reduce the run time by 30min.

Viewers were advised (as posted in “Seven Presentation” thread) to watch the proper full episode via 7Plus when available.

For example, what was the final segment with Johanna and Ricki-Lee eating and saying goodbye and waving, was bizarrely not the final segment, making no sense. And the final segment was with the carpentry bloke and the ex-House Rules guy looking back at their ‘brick’ creation and the episode abruptly ended with a credit to “view full ep on 7Plus” and a highlight with garden guru Graham (so that was a segment that didn’t air).

1 Like

Cross-promotion for Downton Abbey the movie.

1 Like

Production of BH&G TV show will continue as a condition of Seven West Media’s sale of Pacific Magazine to Bauer Media.

“Celebrating its 25th year, Seven Studios’ Better Homes and Gardens will offer new content across technology, health and fitness and motoring.”

Its about time BHG did something new in lifestlye !

1 Like

My parents watched BH and G for years then when The Living Room came along I showed it to them. They didn’t budge initially, but now they reckon TLR is actually more interesting and prefer that show.

This year’s season finale will air on Thursday, November 28, at 7.30pm, due to Seven’s coverage of the day/night cricket test between Australia and Pakistan starring in Adelaide Oval on the following day.

3 Likes

The show’s gardening guru Jason Hodges won’t return next year according to News Corp. He has been with the show since 2005. He will be a big loss.

EDIT 14/12:

(Jason Hodges said)
"To be honest, I am absolutely gutted…

I think of myself as being the luckiest guy in the world, to have had the best job in the world and work with the best team there is … I’d be lying if I said I was not upset but as people in this business know, that’s how it goes."

The knockabout ‘‘Hodgie’’ is set to be replaced by rival celebrity landscaper Charlie Albone and veteran gardening correspondent Melissa King, while long-standing BH&G green thumb Graham Ross remains on the show.

Seven confirmed the format would return in 2020 with new content.
“Better Homes and Gardens will return in February 2020 with new technology, health and fitness and motoring content, along with all the ideas and inspiration audiences have come to expect from host Johanna Griggs and the team,” said the spokesperson.

The promo for Saturday’s Christmas ep says a “special announcement” about the team… surely they’re not going to publicly ditch Jason Hodges on air, especially after he’s said he’s gutted. Wouldn’t you just let him disappear?

I’d say they’ll be announcing that Charlie Albone is joining the team.

3 Likes

Has Better Homes and Gardens aired on a Saturday before?

Good exposure airing the Christmas Special between the News and the Carols in the Domain.

And re Charlie Albone - he is a good addition to the show, but a shame they got rid of Jason Hodges. Will Charlie still be part of Foxtel’s Selling Houses?

johgriggs7 LONG POST WARNING: Tonight on Better Homes and Gardens - one of the hardest shoots we’ve ever had to do.
We farewell from the show Jason Hodges: Hodgy,
J-ho, Jase.
If you spot I’m emotional - forgive me, it’s cause I’ve worked alongside J-Ho for almost 2 decades (from way back in the Auction Squad days - hence the bad pics on page 1!!) and as a result we are great mates.
Change happens often and regularly in Television. (Hell I know first hand - I was axed on maternity leave when I had just found out I was pregnant again way back in 1996)
At some stage we all get the tap on the shoulder to move on. It’s unfortunately a reality that comes with the business we are in. But that doesn’t make it any easier.
Even if you look at BHG and where it started 24 years ago and all the amazing people who have worked on it at one stage or another… It’s an incredible legacy show that is an honour to be part of, and it’s had loads of changes over that time.
One thing we learnt from a few years ago when Rob was moved on, was that it was really important that Jason got to say goodbye and thank you to you, our audience. (Rob never had that chance and always regretted he never got to do that) so whilst it was hard to do, I know tonights show was incredibly important to us all.
Our @bhgaus team, including Jase have had several weeks now to process what’s happened, and he was given a Logie at our Xmas Party by our production team who figured he’d been such a huge part of the show for so long, that he deserved something really special to acknowledge it. He gave a great speech in response. He’s a class act & I’m sure he’ll be back on our screens in some capacity before we know it.
Since then, we’ve had a shoot with some new faces who’ll be joining the team next year. And I can honestly say they are absolutely lovely and really excited to be part of the show.
I just hope people realise they weren’t part of the decision making process, and therefore deserve to make the most of the opportunity that has been presented to them. I know J-Ho feels this way too. He’s too kind a person to wish ill will on anyone. So give him some love tonight💕

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6TfSzLg9B1/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

8 Likes

Well said Johanna. So tonight is the real season finale for 2019.

4 Likes

His farewell piece to camera with Joh was really hard to watch. Poor guy looked shattered

7 Likes

was a nice farewell to him. At least he did have a chance to say goodbye. And have a nice small montage right at the end too.

4 Likes

Sam Wood, Melissa King and James Tobin are joining BH&G this year. Sam will do fitness and wellbeing, Melissa is a gardening expert and James will be doing motoring and tech. I like Sam and James but I’m not sure about Melissa. I’ll miss Jason though, he added a bit of humour to his stories and was always entertaining.

5 Likes

That was a classy decision by whichever Seven power person, hopefully the CEO.

4 Likes

This is Melissa. According to her personal website, she was on Melbourne Weekender on Seven but was best known as one of the presenters of Garden Gurus.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B5O8WQUALeD/

The new season of BH&G begins on Friday, February 7.

1 Like

More of JT… nice :heart:

1 Like

New promo aired during Seven News tonight, with the three new presenters.

1 Like