Bert Newton 1938-2021

Disappointing no televised coverage of the funeral service

1 Like

Havenā€™t I heard correctly there will be a bigger public memorial when conditions allow? I am sure that will be televised.

1 Like

Maybe Patti requested for it to not be televised.

2 Likes

As much as Bert was in the limelight, his recent ā€œhealth issuesā€ did keep him on the relatively quiet side, and maybe him and the family wanted the actual funeral to be private (even if it might be live streamed). Id suspect a public future memorial will be televised.

The state funeral for Bert Newton will be held at Melbourneā€™s St Patrickā€™s Cathedral next Friday (November 12) at 10am AEDT. It will be live streamed on the Victorian Government website.

4 Likes

No doubt the networks will try yet the feed from the service and try and stream it through their websites / social accounts if itā€™s not available for TV broadcast.

Why isnā€™t it available ?

Itā€™s a bit different putting together a television broadcast to a one or two camera webstream that most funeral homes etc run these days.

Also, maybe the family requested it not be televised to avoid it becoming sort of a media circus.

11 Likes
7 Likes

Good move by 10 to cover it.

1 Like

10 isnā€™t broadcasting the funeral on the main channel though?

David Knox reckons they are. (TV Tonight Twitter)

1 Like

Okay maybe they are, but it seems from that statement that theyā€™re only streaming it in 10 social media pages.

1 Like

The tweet above says ā€œBert Newton will be celebrated in a special episode of @Studio10au, including his state funeral from Melbourneā€™s St Patrickā€™s Cathedral. Coverage starts LIVE from 8:00AM AEDT, Friday Nov 12 on Network 10ā€

7 Likes

Lol the irony.

The network that did the least coverage for when Bert died gets the funeral.

Given that Ten has been given the OK, I would not be surprised to see announcements from Seven and/or Nine over the coming days. Weā€™ll seeā€¦

5 Likes

I reckon the networks may have waited until the government announced the livestream so they donā€™t have to pick up the bill for an OB. The Gudinski memorial service livestream was a broadcast quality production (shame it wasnā€™t on TV) so I imagine the quality will be similar.

1 Like

I think youā€™re on the money there.

Whatā€™s an OB?