Bert Newton 1938-2021

21 Likes

Very sad news. He’s had a great career. RIP Bert.

7 Likes

Massive loss Rip Bert such a legend of Australian tv.

5 Likes

Wow, big loss. Very sad.

7 Likes

Very sad news. Somewhat a shock, after seeming positive news was shared a few weeks ago and then just last Sunday by Patti.

7 Likes

RIP Bert. He had a wonderful life.

5 Likes

RIP to quite possibly, the most iconic Australian television personality of all time. :cry:

7 Likes

Peter Ford rang into 3AW to break the news before the 9pm news bulletin. Philip Brady, who worked alongside Bert, is speaking to Simon Owens over the phone on 3AW now giving a tribute.

8 Likes

Wow. Terrible news. RIP Bert. One of Australia’s biggest TV personalities.

3 Likes

I think we can trust Peter Ford with this one. He’s been a colleague, close associate and friend of the Newtons for many years.

9 Likes

I hear that Bert was in palliative care for the last week, so the end was near sadly.

News now breaking on ABC News channel with a tribute package.

4 Likes

A big loss in the TV industry. I used to watch GMA with Bert Newton on Channel 10 and he was a great man with a huge sense of humour. In December 2005, Bert Newton left Channel 10 where he moved to Channel 9 to host Bert’s Family Feud (which replaces The Price is Right, which Larry Emdur defected to Seven) and 20 to 01. He was a true and a wise gentleman. Goodbye and RIP Bert Newton.

3 Likes

Nothing on Sky News.

1 Like

I was concerned when he had his leg amputated that it may have been a downward spiral

Sad news

3 Likes

One of the best things you can say about a person is they’re irreplaceable. Bert Newton definitely fits into that category. We won’t ever see a person like him on Australian TV ever again. From being more than a sidekick on The Don Lane Show to redefining morning TV with Good Morning Australia and everything in between, Newton’s personality and impact was felt far and wide.

Thoughts tonight are with Newton’s family, friends and former colleagues at this difficult time.

11 Likes

Such a loss.

Seems there was a lot more happening behind the scenes than what they were telling us about his health.

1 Like

Wow, this is sad news :frowning:

Such an Australian Icon.

May he Rest In Peace

4 Likes

I guess that’s the way it goes generally, for privacy reasons.

As I posted above, he was in palliative care for the last week of his life so has probably been heading downhill for months.

1 Like

Such a great legend of Australia Television. The last of his generation.

Hopefully all Radio and Television networks pay tribute to him. I’ll be expecting a state funeral later this week.

RIP Bert.

8 Likes