beIN Sports

It was - not anymore. When they lost the EPL rights about 4 years ago it got folded back into Sky’s other sports channels and is now a JV.

That deal is poised to expire this year incidentally. https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/football-sky-signs-four-year-deal-with-bein-sports/KFIIIHNLIHLTSEDTYLUDIGR3CU/

2 Likes

beIN offer for foxtel subscribers

https://connect-au.beinsports.com/en/campaign/fx-202305-23469?utm_source=Social_Media&utm_campaign=Foxtel_Offer&utm_medium=Social_Media

2 Likes

For sure - Foxtel’s language around their deals is vague (I suspect by design) and becoming increasingly difficult to put any faith in beyond two years as you point out.

I’m a tad nervous about ESPN - while I dont think that Foxtel would necessarily just walk away from them, Disney could pull the plug and shift it all to Disney+

3 Likes

We saw what happened in East Asia and Southeast Asia in October 2021 when Disney pulled the plug on Fox Sports Asia, forcing pay TV providers in each country to sign deals with individual sporting bodies, while beIN Sports also filled part of the void. A similar situation could happen in Australia.

most likely a separate direct to customer service similar to ESPN+ in the US. They will possibly bundle it with Disney+ however.

1 Like

So yeah, those rights are staying on BEIN (for the short term at least…)

3 Likes

This is very disappointing. I wouldn’t call much of beIN’s content appointment viewing but I did enjoy stumbling across the various sports on there. Various ATP tournaments in particular, but even the Rugby 7s on the weekend, and it was nice to see the EFL Championship and see who might get up into the Premier League (or follow Wolves when they were down a grade)

It’s good that they will remain available separately but I don’t know if I can justify the expense.

5 Likes

Optus Sport were chasing Bundesliga and Serie A rights in 2020 before COVID struck and beIN retained them. They already have LaLiga and DFB-Pokal

1 Like

According to @blackbox beIN is staying in Australia and on Fetch.

A spokesperson for Fetch TV has confirmed the channel is set to remain available on its platform for the long term.

4 Likes

Hmmm fetch tv might be an option then

2 Likes

They could expand on Fetch TV instead of Foxtel/Kayo. BeIN has replays on Fetch boxes as well.

Watching a Bundesliga replay via Fetch with good PQ. Another option is to distribute via smart TV’s

1 Like

Will kayo subscription be reduced given the loss of contact?

1 Like

It’s theoretically possible, however I’d say the likelihood is about the same as it snowing in Darwin.

3 Likes

No haha. Not a loss of contract Fox decided not to renew.

They already do this. By their app.

1 Like

So we get less content but charged the same and will probably go up

3 Likes

Yep.

It really shows just how much they are failing right now.

2 Likes

Did BeIN operate in Australia via it’s app before it was on Foxtel? Because I think we’ve seen with Eurosport that it couldn’t sustain on just Fetch subscriptions. I doubt many people are going to flock to beINs own app as well. Might see an exit from the market once the Fetch contract is up?