beIN Sports

Well this also makes sense, given their product isn’t overly compelling for an add-on.

2 Likes

Not to you, maybe

3 Likes

No, I quite like those sports but their roster was sports played largely out of timezones helpful for Australia and weren’t big ticket.

5 Likes

I have a feeling OnAir might’ve been hinting at this, for example:

Sort of pivotal. Nine-Stan having that lucrative (including domestic summer) packages now, wouldn’t be surprising at all yes if they now pounce on any of the rest.

1 Like

Which is why this annoys me so much, being able to record on Foxtel satelite makes life so much easier.

I don’t know if anyone else will be able to pick the rights with BEIN have WTA rights till 2026 and not sure how long they have the ATP rights for.

Either they’ll keep Be-In Connect or whatever going or sublicence to anyone who wants to pay.

1 Like

Foxtel come out with that line a lot of times, with actually never telling the market how long that time frame is.

Remember they are having the same discussions with WB at the moment, after they signed a “multi-year deal”

:thinking:

2 Likes

Simply put when they say “multi-year”, it’s more than one year. It could be two, it could be ten - I suspect they’re engineering their deals in such a way that it allows greater options to exit but makes pinning a discrete number on the term of the deal tricky

2 Likes

Technically, it was multi year as it was two year but doesn’t make it any less crappy.

3 Likes

This means I can no longer watch ATP/WTA tennis or Arsenal TV anymore :frowning:

ESPN you’re next!

What will this mean for sports on BeIN? Not available in Australia after June? Chance of Nine (etc) picking up the BeIN channels for Stan?

1 Like

Fetch still has Bein (for now). So the content will be available through there or Bein Sports Connect (which is a standalone streaming service).

TennisTV is an option for ATP tennis too.

2 Likes

Something will seriously have to happen. There are so many sporting codes suddenly lost because of this!

Is Bein Sports still going to be operating in Australia as a stand-alone service? Because if they are I wouldn’t imagine these rights deals going any where.

1 Like

I can see beIN pulling out of the Australian market completely, most likely with their rights acquired by Stan/P+/Optus. It should be very attractive as an acquisition as it would beef up the sports offering of those services significantly.

With the addition of Optus Sport on iQ4/iQ5 and Paramount+ on iQ3/iQ4/iQ5, Foxtel customers can now watch even more sports all in one place. App subscription and internet connected iQ box required.

This justification from Foxtel is nothing short of pathetic in my view. If you want to add value to your customers, strike a deal for a discount for your subscribers.

2 Likes

With the addition of Optus Sport on iQ4/iQ5 and Paramount+ on iQ3/iQ4/iQ5, Foxtel customers can now watch even more sports all in one place.

That is a downright lie. Subscribers will have access to less content, with no change in price.

As for the rights that are about to become available, I suspect there may be a bit of a bidding war between Optus and Stan looming…

5 Likes

Head on another forum that rights will be going to Stan/Optus/Paramount

The FAQ at Kayo website announcing beIN’s departure says fans can subscribe to beIN Connect to continue watching.

2 Likes

Quite a lot that seem a natural fit for Stan if they want it, outside of the soccer at least. The Sevens was about the only international rugby they didn’t have after Stan picked up the Six Nations rights off beIN recently - and I can’t imagine picking up the Top 14 rights third-hand would be all that expensive given they were pottering about on Eurosport for so long. The tennis has already been mentioned.

Bit of a wildcard as to where all the individual European football leagues could go; I suspect Stan may find that the UEFA content is probably enough to be happy with, but who knows.

Edit: that all assumes beIN will want to fold and let go of it. It’d be a tough sell for their current content when they want at least $15/month [if bought for a year] to stream something they might’ve previously got on Foxtel for free. But it’s a lot more possible than when they had to go force Foxtel to offer access to them roughly a decade ago, as Optus in particular has probably shown us.

I can’t imagine how they could have fit in the deal for so long (including the app access) when beIN want that much for it. It’s an added extra to Sky Sport in NZ [someone said that was due to EPL rights though?], but a la carte is much more accepted there as opposed to it not being Foxtel’s go.

2 Likes