beIN Sports

Yes, it did. I don’t know how long it had been going for but I remember a long time ago now I sign up for it when it was basically just a subscription service.

4 Likes

They took over Setanta Sports Australia in November 2014

8 Likes

Its hard seeing beIN survive with only Fetch and their streaming service - it was allegedly touch and go before they were able to renegotiate their Foxtel arrangements to be included in the Sports package (they’d been a 3rd party add-on package prior)

While their sports offering is decent - it’s a little eclectic outside of being football heavy and will struggle to attract a wide audience (especially at the streaming pricepoint)

6 Likes

The other thing is it’s hard to really see Fox Sports picking up the rights to much of whats on there apart from very bottom-tier stuff.

1 Like

They might look at the motorsport (but even still, its a bit niche) - the two sports that seem to underpin beIN’s local offering (football and union) are sports that Fox have walked away from

Perhaps the likes of P+/Optus/Stan might may a play for some of it if they were to exit the market.

2 Likes

You’d assume Stan would grab the Rugby stuff and then all three would go for the football stuff.

2 Likes

I can see them sticking around. They are well backed and I think a lot of their rights are for multiple regions not just Australia.

3 Likes

Plus the tennis content. BeIn’s football stuff up for grabs at the end of 23/24

1 Like

This will help - especially if they’re not paying significant amounts of money for rights. Whether they continue to retain the rights locally or not will be something to watch, but that assumes that there is stuff that other broadcasters will be interested in.

1 Like

Not sure about the tennis. Before Bein Foxsports would only show select events and ESPN had the rights to the major events that are just below grand slam level. I would expect if the rest of the tennis was to go anywhere i would say Stan at this point.

2 Likes

That or TennisTV or whatever streaming service each tournament is associated with.

Yeah, I’m pretty sure Tennis TV has the rights to all of them but they can’t show Australian Based events. The last time Tryed out Tennis Tv they had no rights to other events such as Davis Cup, Fed Cup and other exhibition tournaments. But I’m not sure whether this is still the case.

1 Like

Think beIN’s best move now would be to follow what they’ve done in New Zealand with Sky Sport and enter into a partnership/arrangement with another provider (e.g., Optus Sport, Stan, Paramount+ or someone else) to carry their rights. That way they can still retain a presence in Australia whilst continuing to benefit from being part of a bigger service rather than try and go it alone again like they did when they took over from Setanta Sports. Eurosport tried doing that after it was dropped from Foxtel and that didn’t last long so beIN would be wise not to go down the same path.

2 Likes

Im not sure how long it’s been running but Bein sports have a add running promoting Bein sports Connect

1 Like

I mean, beIN Connect’s always existed, but given they’re getting kicked off Foxtel in half a month, it’s probably where they want most of their ex-Foxtel folks to stick (especially with the discount they’re offering) - it’s not likely they’ll move to Fetch to keep beIN after all.

1 Like

BeIN on Fetch has never been heavily advertised and is standalone $20 per month with no access to connect.

Will be interesting to see if anything changes with the Fetch TV offering, don’t see it attracting ex Foxtel subscribers without Connect included at that price

1 Like

Meh, the option to record is what would drag me to Fetch. Haven’t decided what to do yet but to me that’s the killer of it leaving Fox

2 Likes

Surely everything is uploaded to watch though?

Tennis being a sport that length of match will tell you the result, the use of timestamps instantly spoil you the result. So recording helps.

2 Likes

They could just put the app on the IQ5 and charge people $20 extra to watch it. :thinking: :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: :roll_eyes: :unamused:

2 Likes