Australia's Got Talent

Lol, you may as well just call it Britain’s Got Talent with 2/4 judges from that show.

David Walliams joins star-studded AGT line-up

The world’s biggest talent show gets bigger

The Seven Network today announced superstar comedian and best-selling author David Walliams will join the star-studded judging panel of the all-new AGT , making a long-awaited return to Channel 7 and 7plus in 2022.

The award-winning Britain’s Got Talent judge joins previously announced stars Alesha Dixon, Kate Ritchie and Shane Jacobson on the judging panel for the new season which, in a world-first twist, sees Aussie acts take on some of the globe’s best Got Talent acts to be crowned AGT Champion.

David, who describes his judging style as “Maverick, like Tom Cruise in Top Gun, ” has high expectations of the Aussie contenders, saying: “All the Australians I’ve met have been very outgoing, so I don’t expect them to be as shy as British people are sometimes.

“People have had much more time than usual to work on their acts, so I’m expecting the standard to be really high. If its anything like BGT , there will be great excitement when people first step out on the stage, as many people haven’t done that for a very long time.”

On the hit format’s enduring appeal, David said: “I think people have always liked shows they can watch together, however in recent years people have watched different things on different devices. A show like Got Talent brings the whole family together and you want to watch it as it happens.

“Every year it’s something different, because absolutely anybody can audition for the show. You don’t even have to be human to win. The show is always full of surprises, you never know what you’re going to see.”

Rounding out the all-star AGT line-up is multi-platinum selling artist Ricki-Lee, who returns as host, ready to cheer on and console the acts brave enough to take the stage.

After two years perfecting their acts, the Aussie hopefuls will be the best the nation has ever seen. Expect more awe-inspiring, show-stopping, eye-popping performers than ever before as they go head-to-head with the most memorable Got Talent acts from around the world.

These acts will be going all out to impress the judges and secure their place in the AGT Grand Final where Australia will decide who is worthy of the $100,000 grand prize.

Seven’s Chief Content Officer, Entertainment Programming, Angus Ross, said: “This is AGT on a scale like never before – to be the best, you have to beat the best – I’m sure Australia will agree it’s been worth the wait. We’re thrilled to welcome David to the world-class judging panel, and can’t wait for AGT to deliver all the spectacular, surprising and must-see moments families across the nation absolutely love.”

AGT is produced by Fremantle for the Seven Network and will premiere on Channel 7 and 7plus later this year.

The AGT auditions start later this month – visit www.AGTaudience.com.au now for dates and free tickets.

Coming to Channel 7 and 7plus in 2022

Really hope they give this series some decent promotion…
Love to see something fun like the elevator promos when Dannii, Kyle and Brian McFadden were judges.

Or this one showcasing talent they “discovered”…

Well, even though he’s no NPH he’s still better than let’s say Sonia Kruger or Kyle Sandilands.

Though it would’ve been nice if they got Simon Cowell instead.

4 Likes

I really feel there would have been plenty of Australian talent they could have called on to do it.

2 Likes

I hope this season they show all the awful/failed/embarrassing auditions in full as well. The reactions from the judges and the audience would be entertaining enough to keep people watching. All the red buzzers and egos that think they’re the most talented would be entertaining to watch.

Last season they just showed all the good auditions and we only saw glimpses of the awful ones that were edited and brushed by.

4 Likes

Simon has gone soft though. Doesn’t give the show the value he once did.

2 Likes

Careful who you wish for because knowing Seven it’s most likely going to be people like Daryl Somers, Sonia Kruger, Todd McKenney, Manu Feildel and Hamish McLachlan :face_vomiting:

I think I would rather all those people.

Just wondering is it because you’re not a fan of some of these judges or just advocating for Australian talent to be used on Aussie shows? Not putting you on the spot but just curious.

Unfortunately it appears talent/shiny floor shows in Australia require a big name (of sorts) to be somewhat successful. Hence why the likes of Rita Ora is on The Voice and 10 have always wanted Lindsay Lohan back on The Masked Singer as soon as she can.

I’m advocating for more Australian talent to be given jobs on Australian television. We already have a market where it’s nearly impossible for Australian talent to get jobs on screen and we are seeing networks give 50% of then judging panel to british personalities that aren’t even known to Australians.

I agree. But it seems the networks think otherwise and it’s working for them so unfortunately I think it will continue.

I would’ve liked someone like Hugh Jackman or Kylie Minogue to be a part of the judging panel (or another Aussie A-lister along with a few well known faces) but then again I’d have a better chance of winning the lottery than that happening.

For other shows I’d agree but for people that have watched Britain’s Got Talent (and there is a few at the moment) and the demographics that usually watch it they would recognise and probably resonate more with Alesha and David because of their association with BGT. I’d prefer them over the likes of Sonia Kruger or Shane Jacobson.

My ideal judging panel would’ve been last years with Neil Patrick Harris, Alesha Dixon, Kate Ritchie and maybe replace Shane with someone younger like Mark Humphries.

No doubt he’s a downgrade on Neil Patrick Harris but a reminder he wasn’t Australian either.

I wonder too if one eye is on international sales - BGT sells well around the world so using two of their judges can only help AGT, which doesn’t really have an international presence.

The bigger concern will be the format - this being Seven I suspect the “live” stage will be fudged again with judge and perhaps studio audience choices from the initial shows then the usual fake final with the fake winners announcement pre-recorded weeks before the viewers actually voted.

1 Like

who the f is kate richie and shane jacobson

Where the f have you been? Under a rock?

Kate Richie is part of the number one Drive FM radio show across Australia on Nova. she was also cast member of Home and Away for about 20 years.

Shane Jacobson is an axtor who came to fame in the movie Kenny and has had many movie, television and theatre acting and singing roles. He has also hosted television shows like Little Big Shots and the Real Full Monty.

6 Likes

Sorry, but that says a lot about you and your general knowledge :rofl:

5 Likes

Is it? I remember the days where an all Australian judging panel came with over 2 million viewers. Lets think the first few seasons of Australia’s Got Talent (Red Symons, Dani Minogue and Tom Burlinson) and Australian Idol. I would argue it really isn’t working.

I am pretty sure they would be wanting more than the 500k the British version is getting.

I really hope this is a joke. They are actually two very successful Australian personalities. Kate Richie has even won a Gold Logie.

1 Like

Hasn’t Shane already done it before? Or was going to before it got canned?

ok sounds like they are old … i am 18 so dont know much about these sort of people

I figured as much. Maybe be a bit more respictful and just ask questions so you can find out.