Australian Survivor

Brian Lake has revealed for the first time what happened between his exit from Survivor and his solitary confinement in a police cell in Japan in July. Brian’s nine-year marriage to wife Shannon was already on the rocks before he left for Fiji. When he arrived back home two days after the elimination, Shannon said she wanted to separate. Brian flew to Bali and met up with old footy mates including Rick Olarenshaw and Chad Fletcher in Bali, who encouraged him to travel with them to Osaka to play in an AFL charity match. It was in Osaka where he fell into trouble and got arrested by local police.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/page-13/the-heartache-that-fuelled-brian-lakes-japan-bender/news-story/919dc76070839b829c629d9003d5d1f6

Wow. Imagine if he had won? Stayed with him or just took half the money?

I thought some of the things Brian did in Fiji were a bit odd being (I assumed) a happily married man, but now we know he wasn’t.

I’ve been thinking about what a possible Australian Survivor: All-Stars season could look like. For this I have taken six players from each season (three male, three female) and split them into three tribes. I think it would be awesome for Season 7, adding six castaways from Season 6.

Tribe 1: Kate and Craig (3), Henry and Michelle (4), Shonee and Benji (CvC)

• Benji and Henry would be seen as big targets, Michelle and Shonee both finished third in their respective seasons. Craig is an exciting character who fell short of the merge. Kate had a lot of potential but didn’t come through.

Tribe 2: Flick and Conner (3), A.K. and Jacqui (4), Lydia and Mat (CvC)

• Lots of conflict in this tribe. A.K. was one of the biggest schemers and didn’t get along well with Jacqui. Mat was part of a blindside on Lydia, and Flick and Conner had a lot of bad blood in season three.

Tribe 3: Phoebe and Rohan (3), Sarah and Peter (4), Jenna and Steve K (CvC)

• Sarah and Peter were two very strategic players. Phoebe and Rohan both were voted out pre-merge but were great characters. Jenna unfortunately quit due to injury but showed promise as a challenge threat, Steve K went too hard too early but had the potential to be an iconic character.

I thought of making a mock Heroes vs Villains cast but it was hard to divide it into 3 heroes, 3 villains-3 male, 3 female for each season.

If Australian Survivor had an All-Stars season, who would you want to see return? What if they also included some NZ, SA and US players?

I don’t know if I want people from other countries on our show, but I wouldn’t mind if there was some sort of Tri-Nations co-produced All-Star version between Aus, SA & NZ (with Ten, TVNZ & M-Net co-producing a show and putting in 8 All-Stars from their versions).

All Star versions of shows in Australia generally never do well and it is way too early to even consider one after just 3 seasons. You would have to think that how average season 1 and 2 rated if it would be a smart move at all to want to try and hype viewers up by bringing contestants back from there as well. I also honestly can barely remember any players from the first 2 seasons that standout to be worthy enough of an All Stars. Although a few stand out from the recent season like Benji, Sharn and Brian.

All Star version should only be considered after the show have ten seasons (including season 1 on Nine and season 2 - Celebrity Survivor - on Seven) under its belt.

I agree there needs to be a lot more but 10 is probably too long. I highly doubt the show ill even be around after 10 seasons and people will have already forgotten about the contestants, which is why in general I think an All Stars is a bad idea. In the US they frequently have All Stars or seasons with returned contestants but they do 2 seasons a year. The first All Stars was season 8.

I think with Australia a Fans vs Favourites season (a concept they’ve done in the US a few times times) would make more sense which is a tribe of returnee’s vs a tribe of new contestants. They could possibly consider something like that after bout 5 seasons.

1 Like

But are 10 really going to get people from those earlier versions - not only are those seasons not canon and not memorable but they are from some time ago (17 years for 2002 and 12 years for Celeb) - most of the people from that season are on the older side to be on Survivor again (and sure, I say that after an oldie won this year but that was an Olympian, not your run of the mill 60 year old)

Champions v Contenders format will return next year, as announced on Ten’s upfronts this evening.

Boring. We did it this year. Give us something different.

4 Likes

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Okay, given that Champions vs Contenders is returning again in 2019, here are some other themes I would like to see in the future.

Survivor: Generations
Similar to Millennials vs Gen X - one tribe is 40+ and the other is 18-39.

Survivor: One Tribe
Similar to One World - everyone is on the same tribe at the beginning then they split into two and come back together for the merge.

Survivor: Redemption Island
Similar to Redemption Island - When voted off you head to redemption island and battle to keep your hopes alive. One player returns at the merge.

Survivor: City vs Country
As the title implies - people from the big smoke (Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, Perth) versus the bush (everywhere else).

Survivor: Saints vs Sinners
Similar to Heroes vs Villains but without All-Stars. Saints is made up of doctors, priests, teachers, etc. and Sinners consists of poker players, journalists, etc.

Brains vs Brawn vs Beauty
As the title implies - each tribe is divided based on personal traits. Smarts, Muscles, Beauty (inside and outside).

With any of those casts you can always throw in stunt casting e.g. Monica is Beauty, Mat Rogers is Brawn, etc.

3 Likes

I can’t believe that they are actually going with the same theme again. The purpose of a theme is to use a different angle to promote a season or to freshen the format up a bit. Going with the exact same thing just seems lazy and like they re flogging the same thing again. Almost every single comment on the facebook page was negative about this.

There are so many opportunities for themes that they could use… US has managed to do something different almost every year.

I don’t think Australian Survivor needs too complicated twists. Things like Redemption Island were already pushing the boundaries in the US and there’s a reason we only had 3 seasons with Redemption Island (although a bit of a twist on the Redemption Island concept is coming into play next US season). Definitely simple concepts like Millenials vs Gen X, Brains vs Brawn vs Beauty etc are easy themes that they could definitely do. Even Blood vs Water I think would be good for an Aussie version, particularly given Aussie reality shows like to milk the family/backstory connection. Instead they go for the same old. Boring.

2 Likes

I’m guessing the aim is attract casual Survivor fans by having celebrities on

You dont keep up the news :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I wouldnt mind a survivor season of North v South (Sydney, Brisbane v Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth sort of thing)

Well done Survivor

4 Likes

As they always say, you can have too much of a good thing.

Surely something like East (Sydney+Melb+Brisbane) vs West (Adelaide+Perth) would be better?

The actual saying is “you can have too much of a good thing”.