Australian Survivor

For a so-called top lawyer, Sharn was hopeless at defending herself against disloyalty to Matt. She was going to play an idol for him, FFS, a very unselfish and loyal thing to do, but she never made that point.

2 Likes

I was so relieved that Sharn won that final challenge as Brian had lead the betting odds most of the season, which made me think people in the know knew he was final 2. So the final Tribal Council was that much more suspenseful knowing it could go either way.

I am frustrated at the result though. There is no doubt that Sharn played a better game than Shane. Sam summed it up perfectly - Shane played a passive game and Sharn played a more active game. Sharn was a target for so long and had to play a more active game and had to fight her way to the end. There were literally two occasions (when Sharn had the Idol and F3) where Shane only remained in the game because of the actions of Sharn too.

Bitter people on jury’s just really annoy me, particularly Matt. Sharn literally went to play her Idol for him so why is he so damn bitter? He’s acting like a child like she purposely did something that got him out of the game. Matt going actually put Sharn on the bottom and made her the target for the remainder of the game so it’s not like it did her any favours. Yes Sharn could have defended that situation better last night but Matt shouldn’t have been so bitter about it in the first place. Brian being bitter too is annoying, clearly not a Survivor fan. I’m not surprised that all the useless players Monika/Fenella/Shonee voted for Shane… they wouldn’t have a clue about gameplay.

For me Sharn goes down as the best player we’ve had in 3 seasons of Australian Survivor and one of the great players of the game, even comparable to some of the great US contestants. Her journey actually reminds me a bit of Parvati in Heroes vs Villains who always had a target but managed to work her way to the end yet still not win because there were some bitter people on there.

What are you talking about? The vote has never been that close on Australian Survivor and the winner vote is rarely close in the US (apart from the last season which was a tie, but that was a first).

3 Likes

Australian Survivor season three is most-watched ever.

After tallying the votes, it’s clear: this season of Australian Survivor was the biggest of any Australian series of the show, with total audience up four per cent on season one, which held the previous record.

The record audiences were driven by viewers catching up with episodes in their own time on tenplay. It recorded the biggest BVOD audiences for a season of Australian Survivor ever, up 22 per cent year on year.

This season had an average audience of 769,000 capital city viewers.

Australian Survivor’s total audience average, including five city metro television audiences and online catch-up viewing plus television encores, was 878,000.

The single most watched episode of the season was the penultimate episode with 739,000 overnight viewers tuning in. It also set the record for being the biggest episode ever outside a finale.

On social, twitter total impressions were up 24 per cent year on year to 10.8 million while twitter followers were up 29 per cent year on year to 16,748. There were more than 37,500 tweets sent across the season using the official #SurvivorAU hashtag. On Instagram, the season achieved a reach of over five million while followers were up 109 per cent year on year to 47,700.

On tenplay, this season of Australia Survivor achieved 13.8 million video segment views, 839,000 unique video visitors and 4.1 million view starts. The Jury Villa on tenplay averaged a 7 day BVOD audience of 32,000, the highest ever for the show.

The single most watched episode on tenplay was episode 22 which saw the ‘Sh’ alliance of Sharn Coombes, Shane Gould and last remaining contender Shonee Fairfax flush out an immunity idol and blindside a Monika Radulovic. The episode had a 7 day BVOD audience of 67,000 - the biggest ever audience for an episode of Australian Survivor on tenplay.

Last night, Australia tuned in to see Shane beat Sharn in the final vote to win $500,000 ( The Winner Announced ). Earlier in the evening, viewers watched the Grand Finale which saw Brian throw his hat in the water, ultimately leading to his elimination.

Across the capital cities, The Grand Finale had an audience of 862,000, The Winner Announced was watched by 878,000, and the Reunion saw 610,000 tune in.

The Grand Finale achieved the biggest Survivor Grand Finale audience ever, The Winner Announced was up year on year and was the #1 program in 25 to 54s, while the Reunion episode was the biggest Reunion episode ever.

The finale dominated social media with #SurvivorAU trending #1 across Australia and #5 worldwide. Across the evening, there were over 6,000 tweets referencing the official #SurvivorAU hashtag and almost 375,000 twitter impressions across the day. Contestants Brian, Shane, Sharn and Benji also trended across Australia with Sharn also trending worldwide.

Network Ten Chief Content Officer, Beverley McGarvey, said: “ Australian Survivor: Champions V Contenders attracted the biggest ever total audience for the Australian series. This season, audiences were introduced to new, engaging contestants, while also seeing some of Australia’s much loved Champions in a different light and out of their element. Full of epic blind sides and some of the toughest challenges, this season of Australian Survivor was truly one of the best.

“I’d like to thank everyone involved with the show including the contestants for their passion and determination to play the game, our wonderful host Jonathan LaPaglia, our production partners EndemolShine Australia for their brilliant work in creating such a masterpiece of a production, our commercial sponsors for their invaluable support in bringing this season to life, and to everyone at Ten who worked hard to make this season such a success.

“I would like to congratulate both finalists – Sharn and Shane. Both demonstrated incredible tenacity, determination and resilience to outwit, outplay and outlast the other 24 contestants this season. Shane was one of the strongest game players who over and over again demonstrated her outstanding mental strength and stamina, she is truely an inspiration and a deserving winner.”

AUSTRALIAN SURVIVOR: CHAMPIONS V CONTENDERS.

KEY POINTS:

• 2018 Season Average, Total Audience, Capital Cities: 878,000 viewers.

• 2018 Season Average, Capital Cities: 769,000 viewers.

• 2018 Video Segment Views on tenplay : 13.8 million.

• 2018 Video Starts on tenplay : 839,000.

• 2018 Unique Video Visitors on tenplay: 4.1 million.

• Facebook Season Total Reach: 14,941,142 million

• Facebook Total Engagements: 245,884

• Facebook Average Weekly Total Engagements: 22,353

• Facebook: 111,562 ‘likes’, up 20% on 2017.

• Instagram: 47,700 followers, up 109% on 2017

• Instagram: 5,039,687 total Instagram reach

• Instagram : 30,730 average post reach

• Twitter: 16,748 followers, up 29% on 2017

• Twitter Total Impressions: 10.8 million, up 24% on 2017.

(Some info removed as per OzTAM rules).

2 Likes

Themed seasons work better. I know myself and a lot of people were very sceptical and put off this theme at the beginning but it just seemed to work. I hope they don’t try and go too gimmicky next time but they will need some sort of theme to promote the season to keep viewers interested. I think that’s what season 2 lacked.

2 Likes

I wish they would just stop stringing out the episodes. The American version has around 14 episodes and each episode is 1hr. The Australian version had 24 episodes and they were 1.5hrs. The show would be more successful if they at least reduced the show length to an hour, it would make it more punchy.

Shame the online Herald Sun ran a story on their main page soon after the episode was aired showing the winner. No spoiler alert, no opportunity to click a link to find the winner, just a heading saying Shane had won, complete with a photo.

The Monday episodes were an hour after the 2nd week.

1 Like

Brian’s parting gift. It was Matt’s vote that made her lose and he was the orchestrator of making Matt think she betrayed him.

Yeah interesting…

Disagree. This season was perfect for length and number of episodes. Monday episodes were one hour, Tuesday episodes were 90 minutes. The Tuesday episodes on average rated higher (not including finals) so the 90 mins didn’t seem to matter to Australian audiences.

Lots of people would have know the final 2 for months including crew and family of participants. Same thing for most reality shows. Networks even release episodes ahead of time to some in the media.

2 Likes

What’s the problem? The show had aired so it is no longer a spoiler. If I wasn’t watching it live and wanted to avoid spoilers I would have avoided social media and news sites. The media always report on reality show outcomes.

Yeah the episode lengths didn’t annoy me as much this season. It did earlier on but as the season went on and got more exciting I found it didn’t drag that much, I think because it was only on twice a week as well really helped whereas the previous seasons became quite a commitment at times.

Yeah and I’m pretty sure that the audience was quite small and mostly full of former contestants, friends, family and people that work at network Ten. There wasn’t really much of an opportunity for the public to get on the audience.

2 Likes

Australian Survivor having more and longer episodes than the US version is what makes this show better

3 Likes

Agree. This season in particular has been more enjoyable for me compared to the last 4 seasons of US Survivor. The last season of US Survivor in particular was the worst and most predictable season of Survivor I have ever watched and I have been watching it from the start.

2 Likes

Trivia: at 61 years old, Shane Gould is now the oldest winner in the English speaking version of the Survivor franchise. The previous oldest winner was Bob Crowley from Survivor: Gabon in 2008 (he was 57 at that time).

2 Likes

Episode length doesn’t make it better, it just makes it different. Some of the longer episodes, particularly in previous seasons, were painful to watch.

For me the tight and smarter editing in the US makes it way more exciting. I don’t miss a second whereas with Australian Survivor I will often have it on in the background whilst I’m cooking or doing other stuff and don’t care if I miss some bits.

I didnt hate the episode lengths this year but do prefer the 60 minute episodes.

The US Survivor hasn’t been good for 4 seasons now.

That is your opinion but certainly not mine. Ghost Island was one of the weakest seasons I agree but the current season has been probably the best two opening eps I’ve seen for a long time.

I didn’t include this season which I am on the fence about still, I meant the 4 seasons before this one.