Australian Survivor

Why would Survivor have more viewers? Ninja Warrior is a new concept and a format that hasn’t been flogged on FTA for a long time. Survivor has been around with least 2 seasons per year for 17 years. We’ve had what 37 or so seasons (if you include US and Aussie incarnations) of Survivor air on FTA TV here by now. When you look at it in that light I’m not sure why you would think Survivor should get more viewers? I’m a Survivor superfan from day dot but when you look at it in that way Survivor is lucky to still be doing as well as it does.

I could not agree more. I was underwhelmed by the premiere. Firstly you make the tribes battle for things like rice/fire in challenges and then every tribe eventually ends up with them anyway. Talk about stretching out 2 hours for the sake of it.

That Tribal Council too went for like 25 minutes? Tighter editing would have made it so much more exciting. Then the one contestant who I found entertaining Joan gets voted out. Overall it seems a pretty dull cast that pretty much mirrors the exact type of people we had last season. Not a huge variety in personalities, we have a bunch of good ol’ Aussie chicks and blokes again. Aussie Survivor casting here just reeks bogan more than any other Aussie reality show. It does my head in.

I hope it improves as the quality and production of the show is really good.

1 Like

So, poor Channel 10 chased the fringe left wing ranting about this show and its lack of “diversity”, constantly banging on about it in press releases and pre-show promotion, and (as that first quote indicates) actually thought it would deliver a massive previously untapped audience.

Reality? Dire ratings compared with launch last season. 639K v 783K last year. What a flop. Using a large chunk of your pre-show promotion to tell us a cast is “diverse” was such a stupid strategy.

Really? Just saying they have a good cross-section of Australia was them promoting they were purposefully more diverse? I don’t think so. And you were the one who said in this thread that it didn’t look like the contestants were diverse. :roll_eyes:

You can’t troll it both ways mate. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: The thing is, Media Spy members have always been more enthusiastic about this show than the whole of Australia actually is.

It was constantly referred to in media promotion. In fact, apart from the recent change in the last few days to paint the show as some kind of version of “Ninja Warrior”, it was primarily how Ten was selling this new season.

Um…I’m not - I even said in my review of the show last night:

I’m referring to how Ten promoted the show.

The first challenge was a bit misleading. Samatau lost the reward challenge and was left with nothing, and I wondered how the members could survive their first night. But when the tribe arrived at the campsite, there was hessian bags, a machete and wooden water containers for them.

Yes, and Ten did an awful job at making the Australian public enthusiastic about this new season. Awful promotion. No one wants to be lecturered on “diversity” when deciding if to watch a new show or not.

That’s rubbish. They never did that.

Ha, I even quoted one of the passages where they did. Give me a break. :roll_eyes:

You claimed I was trolling last night too when I critiqued the very ordinary premiere. The ratings today agreed with my view. Apology?

Not for fake news created in order to troll. Never ever.

Riiight, my views last night on several aspects of the show were “fake news” designed to “troll”. You responding to this thread to then call me a “masochist” was definitely not trolling, no. :roll_eyes:

Perhaps I am a masochist for trying to talk reason, considering that is clearly your only reason for existence these days. :joy:

Perhaps I’m out of the loop here, but the only promotion I saw was a promo featuring a fake yoga instructor. Hardly a lecture on diversity - if anything, it’s a plea for more people to take professional acting classes.

1 Like

Reality show drama is best drama :popcorn:

1 Like

Sorry you’re not enjoying it Firetorch but just hate watch. It’s probably more fun that way :grinning:

Seriously those promos for ep two were fucking awful. OMG a guy loses his undies and you can OGGLE a blurred bar where his cock is!!! Yippee!!! FFS channel ten must be run by puerile juveniles. Also why were some guys asses blurred but others weren’t. I was eating pizza and I do not need to see a fucking troll’s hairy arse crack! Puke.

Botox queen Jacqui excelled yet again. Idol, won challenge and had great sound bites! Survivor hags are my favourite archetypes. I so hope she screws over the yoga tool and uses Simian action man as a meat shield. I need her to at least make the merge.

AK grew on me especially with the velcro wallet jab. Shame he just sucks at the game. He knew he wasn’t going and should have kept the damn idol. Playing it for someone else is is not going to suddenly undo all the poor game play and general shiftiness. Drawing dead sadly.

Luke is the biggest fucking tool ever. Not only does he mug the camera in the most asinine manner but he doesn’t have an original bone in his body. Leave the fucking spy shack for someone that actually has charisma. Complete tool.

Jericho stop drooling over Luke’s penis and hitch onto the better alliance please. I need you to be safe and likable.

I hated Annaliese aka token bikini girl #3 at first but liked her this episode. She needs to stop fawning over men and concentrate on her game.

I don’t think token bikini girl #2 has even spoken yet. If she has she hasn’t been memorable.

Mrs invisible Odette looks like another Purple Kelly.

Tara confirms she is indeed a useless idiot. Yes because building a shelter is much more important than keeping an idol out of the enemies hands and would have only taken two minutes.

Still not sure on Bogan Barbie yet.

The challenges were okay. I liked the fact it had to involve more people instead of just relying on the usual strong competitors.

1 Like

Episode 2 was a big improvement on the first. I started warming to some of the cast more and I was genuinely surprised at Tribal.

Although I am confused by the editing. Why convince us as viewers that AK is going when he wasnt even coming close to it? Its like they were trying to convince us hes gone to edit in a blindside for viewers that wasnt really one. Also Annalise got 4 votes but no airtime. It is like they want to make it the AK show.

I agree about the shitty editing. If they don’t spoil the outcomes they are throwing useless red herrings everywhere that don’t go anywhere. I still remember Krusty’s freakout last year over her disappearing bag that went absolutely no where. Was she a paranoid moron or a hapless victim?

I was thankful Annaliese got no airtime if the best she could come up with was having her tongue hanging out oggling guys. The minimal bit at tribal was just enough.

Revolving reality shows around a couple of people with good sound bites always happens though which is annoying. AK is this years Nick. All talk, no brains.

1 Like

Really enjoying the season so far with a good cast who seem to want to play the game and aren’t afraid to look for and play idols. The tribes seem very evenly matched with close contests for the challenges so far. I’ll be interested to see how Henry’s attempt at throwing a challenge goes on Tuesday, it always seems fairly obvious when you know it is happening. I liked how there was a bit more info about why people voted in the closing credits as well.

2 Likes

Oh, tell me about it - she obviously has not watched a minute of this game before. She couldn’t even understand what Adam was telling her. Adam was informing her about his idol clue, and its location, and the fact someone not in their alliance was wanting to take it - and yet she was stroppy because (at Day 5!!) Adam wasn’t helping her on the shelter instead. Moronic “friggin” bogan.

Er…did we all watch the same programme TV.Cynic just watched? There was literally a whole group of people that didn’t want to know about an idol…and another large group of people thought a “chicken coop idol” was a thing…

And then one idol clue actually had to be planted onto the lid to the water well so it could be found, LOL…

Totally agree with what you say here - that editing was a total mess. No one thinks AK is a “mastermind” - we all think he’s a dick.

Yep!

I thought the same thing that the Idol clues were planted. Firstly too coincidental that both tribes were finding them the exact same day. The clues also suddenly appeared in very obvious spots. Not hard to find at all. It felt like the water tank one could have quickly been put there to ensure certain people found it.