Australian Postal Survey on Marriage Law - Media Coverage

I’m sure they haven’t pressed that button for ages since Michael Usher debuted on Seven.

2 Likes

They run the risk of him losing power and failing if they unplug him and wheel him out too early. His battery isn’t sufficiently charged until about 3pm.

11 Likes

Tim Cook congratulates Australia … with the New Zealand flag. He later deleted the post and posted the correct flag.

9 Likes

Did any stations show the result with a delay?

I guess Studio 10 would have screened it as part of the show but maybe those other states may have had news breaks earlier?

7 showed it live, than went an hour backwards when it was over.

Entire coverage on Ten/WIN in QLD was 1-hour delayed, no mention at all of the Yes vote win until 10am AEST/11am AEDT.
Seven had the announcement live, then crossed to the start of The Morning Show as it was shown at 9am AEDT, and played that out.
Nine had the announcement live, and continued with Today Extra live afterwards.

Not sure what happened in Perth at 7am AWST/10am AEDT on Channel 7, but at 10am AWST/1pm AEDT they’ve shown the entire coverage in Perth exactly as it aired three hours ago in the east, “LIVE” bugs and all.

2 Likes

Ten had their coverage live on Facebook. Pity they couldn’t have gone to the effort to have it live around Australia on free-to-air. Hopefully these delays during major news will change with the CBS ownership.

6 Likes

Yes, how ridiculous was it. No wonder Ten is the 3rd rated commercial channel, when they can’t even be bothered to show breaking news live.

The Herald Sun has twelve different stories about SSM on its website at the moment.

1 Like

I saw Nine Perth’s coverage, and boy they’ve came a long way. From a station that did just about nothing local-news wise to going for 45 straight minutes of locally-produced coverage on one of the biggest political stories in years in Australia is impressive. From the looks of things, they did a fair bit better than their Sydney colleagues!

10 Likes

Sunrise Perth local news covered the result live before going straight to a 3 hour old edition of Sunrise. Very amatuer effort by Channel 7 Perth.

2 Likes

Well what do you expect when you live three hours away from all the action? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If they cut into Sunrise then people would have whinged about missing out on that too.

Knowing how the results played out locally, I personally think the coverage on tonight’s Sydney news bulletins is going to be incredibly fascinating!

1 Like

News bulletins will be huge tonight given the scale of this event and the campaign from the start in August

1 Like

What do you mean?

NSW had the highest percentage of No voters.

1 Like

Because of the huge “No” vote in parts of Western Sydney (which I personally don’t agree with BTW).

Despite the “Yes” celebrations, the networks here are going to have to make sure that both sides are equally represented in their Sydney news coverage because it’s probably considerably closer to 50/50 here than the national result of 61.6% to 38.4%.

1 Like

Do the losers at the Olympics get equal representation? No. Do the losers in an election get equal coverage? No.

5 Likes