Australian Idol

5 Likes

Good to see the return of live TV. I suppose that means Harry and Megan will need to be in Australia for the whole finals? That can’t be cheap.

3 Likes

According to That’s the Ticket website, the top 50 performance show on October 26 is already sold out.

The auditions at the five state capitals should take place during the first three weeks of October.

If the show follows the format of the most recent season of American Idol, then I think live shows won’t start until the final seven weeks when there are 20 contestants left.

1 Like

Thank goodness. Enough of the pre-recorded crap we’ve been subjected to lately by Seven.

4 Likes

I would suggest the production company itself had a clause that whoever it gave the rights to had to do it live.

This is going to get confusing……another Harry and Meghan………

2 Likes

I doubt any one under 23 knew who they were in 2003 either.

2 Likes

If anything I’m surprised Seven didn’t go with Dicko or Mark Holden. Would’ve fitted Seven’s demos perfectly.

Everywhere else though they would’ve been way past their use-by date.

Still would’ve preferred Marcia Hines to be the ‘nostalgic’ link but otherwise I like the lineup. Some big names with international and local artists with recognition. Good to see Scott Tweedie getting a permanent primetime gig.

I would still guess the live section of the season will be much shorter than we were used too previously (which went for around 10 weeks with a top 12). With American Idol they often eliminate multiple contestants a week now, so it gets down to the final few much faster. I’ll predict around 6 weeks of live shows as I’d be surprised if they could keep those internationals much longer.

Well covid hasn’t helped the situation.

1 Like

The TV landscape has changed. Under 30’s are moving more and more towards streaming, something that wasn’t in play in 2003.

When is this show actually airing? I assume there must be a lengthy filming break until next year before the live finals.

Seven will reveal the timeframe for Australian Idol at the network’s upfronts on October 25, but I expect it to air in Q1 next year, to provide clear space between it and The Voice.

4 Likes

Considering it’s being promoted in the network promo launched during the AFL GF on Saturday, it’s pretty clear that it’ll air in Q1 2023:

2 Likes

Looks like Idol and Million Dollar Island to start off the year.

According to Sunday Herald Sun’s Fiona Byrne, judges auditions begin filming in Adelaide on Tuesday (October 4), then moving to Perth, Sydney and Gold Coast, finishing at Melbourne Showgrounds on October 17-18.

1 Like

Been a bit out of it and just seen the judging panel. What a shocking representation of diversity… channel 7 should be embarrassed by this.

2 Likes

Fair play to them for actually touring with the auditions - so often now talent shows just bring the acts to one or two locations.

4 Likes

In an exclusive chat with Smallzy’s Surgery on Nova last week, Meghan Trainor said she would spend the whole of October in Australia for the Idol auditions and top 50, and planned to return in February 2023 for the live shows. Meghan added that she hoped to get pregnant while staying in the country during October. It comes after Meghan experienced difficulties giving birth to her first child, a boy named Riley, in February last year.

Both Harry Connick Jr. and Meghan Trainor flew into Sydney on the weekend.

1 Like

This Australian Idol reboot will either rate well or be a massive flop.Harry Connick Jr great as a judge, he can be very critical sometimes but he’s not nasty

3 Likes