Australian Idol

Do you reckon they only chose Harry and Meghan for the clickbait headlines?

4 Likes

I would say they chose Harry and Meghan because they have experience from being past judges on American Idol and The Voice UK respectively and would have been a cheaper get for 7.

2 Likes

I’ve been in the audience when he hosted a live event a few years ago and he had a great energy.

Keith Urban and Delta Goodrem supposed to be part of the original judging panel when the revival was first announced.

1 Like

Keith and Delta would’ve been better than Harry and Meghan

3 Likes

This looks like a flop before it even starts. All the social media comments are against Kyle and are rightfully calling out the lack of diversity in the judging panel. How is it possible that the show was more diverse 20 years ago than it is now?

2 Likes

I think it’s a great judging panel. At first I was disappointed with the lack of connection to the old idol days but as far as Internationals go they are good choices. Harry has been a judge on American Idol so there’s an idol connection there. Then Meghan on a few similar shows (I saw her on a cover band show on Foxtel and she was great) and as far as Aussie pop star’s go Amy Shark is a good choice. I probably would have preferred Ricki-Lee as a judge but it’s still nice to have a former contestant on there in some capacity. Scott as a host is great to see too.

You can take social media comments with a grain of salt at this point. Of course all of the typical keyboard warriors that comment on these things will say how much they dislike Kyle because he’s controversial. Yet he has been in the industry a very long time, been on this show before and he has a big radio following.

4 Likes

I feel like the lineup is missing the expertise of someone from a label background like the role Dicko played or Simon Cowell on overseas versions of the show. This is just 3 recording artists and a radio DJ.

7 Likes

I feel like outside of NSW he is not that popular on radio. Another thing working against him is that singing shows and the public have long moved on from having the popular trope of having a ‘mean’ judge.

3 Likes

I don’t think so, I think the public have come full Circle and are sick of the positive and constructive judging of late. I think it’s worth a try going back to the more honest and entertaining judging from the 2000s.

4 Likes

What’s your conspiracy theory?

1 Like

Harry & Meghan are already pretty clicked on.

Going for auditions that are for singers aged 15-28.

So the likes of Damien Leith, who won at age 30 from memory, are out of contention.

Skewing young for this reality show, i see, which is a shame.

I think Seven’s idea is that The Voice has no upper age limit but Australian Idol is for younger singers.

2 Likes

Hosts are a great choice. Bravo seven.

2 Likes

I disagree. I am so sick of talent shows with judges just constantly praising and over hyping everything. Kyle keeping it real actually makes this far more appealing to me.

7 Likes

Meghan Trainor was awesome on The Voice UK

3 Likes

Proved by this weeks achievement of their highest ever audience for the radio show in Sydney. Given it is one of the two big TV markets, it is a strategic (if not nostalgic) signing.

3 Likes

Kyle and Ricki-Lee are for nostalgia from the Channel 10 era with viewers familiar with. Shame Dicko and Mark Holden weren’t available.

1 Like

The nostalgia in me would love them back but they would have been terrible for the younger audience. No one under 23 would know who they are.

3 Likes