Australian Idol

I’m leaning towards flop, I have seen 0 excitement regarding it’s return ever since it was announced that it was coming back. The judge announcement feels like it further dulled any hype the show might have gotten. I don’t see it rating higher than 600-700k.

2 Likes

I can’t see it doing more than 500k

For those who have talked about the judging panel a lot, who would you ideally like to see on the panel? It seems a lot of people are critical about the choices (and with good reasons) but my feeling is that whatever choices the networks make they’re going to get a bad rap about them anyway.

That would be a win? Especially since 7’s shows to start the year has been flops & only a few shows have gotten or averaged 900k+ this year.

I think it would be mid 500k’s

2 Likes

To be fair though, does any Australian TV show (aside from MAFS which is the exception in a number of aspects) really drum up excitement/hype these days? Feel like we now live in a media environment whereby the shows that people get excited about are mostly ones that have global reach thanks to SVOD services.

2 Likes

I think you will always have people critical about it. I just don’t think that defeated attitude helps dealing with the crisis of representation on tv.

My first point of business would be having a 75% Australian judging panel. I would have probably went for Casey Donovan or Dami Im.

Secondly I wouldn’t have Kyle. I know they wanted to have some connection to the original but I don’t think he is the right choice.

Personally I have no issue with any other judge individually it’s the collective.

5 Likes

I agree with you. Kyle isn’t a drawcard and honestly there’s really not that much to associate him with Idol. If anything he could be ultra-polarising. Love Dami and she would’ve been a great judge.

As I said if they wanted a nostalgic link they could’ve gone for Marcia Hines or even Deni Hines as well considering she’s known to Seven’s audience.

1 Like

Kyle S was featured negatively on Media Watch last night.

1 Like

Both really good choices! (Granted they’d have to want to do it, and be available).

Perhaps we see the likes of them as mentors on the show.

2 Likes

So will they have The Voice in the same year? Look at what happened to the Bachelor

What a loser. They won’t drop him or anything because, much like Piers Morgan on ITV for so long, he brings the views and the headlines and the money.

2 Likes

Casey Donovan would have been a good choice.

1 Like

I think it would be a good idea to give The Voice a rest. Reports were that 7 bought the rights for 2 years when they picked it up, and that they paid a competitive price.

First season on 7 did well off the back of Olympics, second season not so well. I think we know what the trajectory is for a third season.

This year did alright, always won the slot & did around 700k-800k which was probably 7’s best show this year.

Lowest was 629k & only had 2 other episodes with less than 700k. 658k & 683k

It was never going to get the 1.2mill average from 2021 after the Olympics

Maybe rest it for a year and launch off the next Olympics in 2024… do 7 have the rights?

not confirmed. If Idol is Q1 (Feb-April) then Voice could be Q3-Q4 (Aug/Sep)? But would probably need to drop AGT, which probably will flop

1 Like

I wouldn’t say that. every time there is a bit of news there is lots of hype in the media and on socials

You can show AGT in Q3 and The Voice in Q4.

What hype? All I see is negative comments and very few positive ones.

1 Like

That’s pretty much social media these days. People are mostly there to say negative stuff and rarely to praise anything.

That’s why so many people are saying that they are leaving Twitter these days.

2 Likes