Australian Idol

Without any disrespect to Damien Leith, I would say Jessica Mauboy has been the more successful of the two 2006 finalists on a commercial front, and IMO the most successful of the runners-up in Australian Idol history.

6 Likes

Im still baffled by some of the acts they have put through. That performance of Grace Kelly last night must be one of the worst ever reality singing show performances we’ve seen.

3 Likes

Made You Look

Grammy ® winner Meghan Trainor performs her smash hit live on Australian Idol

Global pop sensation, singer, songwriter and Australian Idol judge Meghan Trainor will perform her smash hit, Made You Look, in an exclusive performance Monday, 27 February, live and free on Channel 7 and 7plus.

The viral hit from the Grammy® award-winner’s fifth full-length studio album, Takin’ It Back, will be performed live on-stage during the first live-to-air results show.

“I’m having a blast on Australian Idol and I’m constantly blown away by the crazy talent here. I’m so excited to perform Made You Look on the Idol stage.”

Taking It Back debuted Top 20 on the Billboard 200 and hasn’t left the chart since. Takin’ It Back deluxe is released Wednesday, 1 March ahead of Meghan’s first book Future Mama: A TMI Guide to Pregnancy, Birth, and New Motherhood from Your Bestie, which hits the stands in April this year.

More exclusive Australian Idol guest artist performances will be announced soon.

3 Likes

Didn’t it also occur once where a non east coast betting agency was still accepting bets on the winner after the result as it was on delay?

3 Likes

It just looks like they tried to fulfil a diversity quota rather than pick the best singers.

4 Likes

What I also don’t like about the Idol format is the age-range restriction (15-28 I think it is).

I might be wrong but I think that’s one reason why future rival singing contests such as The X Factor and The Voice were invented, as it allowed singers 13+ as well as groups (in the case of The X Factor) to showcase their talent freely.

3 Likes

This is the massive thing that networks don’t get. It’s all very well to bang on about how you are diverse in press releases to tick boxes, but you’re actually doing more disservice because you’re not being inclusive for the right reasons.

It’s all front with no substance. As you have said they have ticked boxes in this case but the quality isn’t there and that is what the show is about….

4 Likes

Great, I was hoping I wouldn’t have the stream it on Kayo :neutral_face:

3 Likes

I hate criticising anyone especially as I am a fan of Scott Tweedie but does anyone think he’s struggling just a little bit? Ricki Lee is great but just something I’ve noticed, not a huge thing.

7 Likes

Yes! I was going to make the same comment. They should have just ran with Ricki Lee. She is a star in host mode.

4 Likes

I thought it was pretty telling that last night’s ratings for Idol was 10,000 lower than the number for the first week of the competition.

1 Like

excuse my ignorance (as I’m young), but is 10,000 viewers a big decline over 3 weeks? Maybe it’s like those old middle rounds of The Voice or a general dip? Hopefully LIVE shows bring a spike so that other shows and networks look at doing more live TV.

1 Like

At this point in the competition, with top top 50, top 24 and then top 12 the competition should be building numbers not going backwards.

2 Likes

7 have killed the word LIVE. It’s now become a meaningless word to the series.

1 Like

BREAKING NEWS: LIVE is DEAD! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Lol, we are watching that episode now and that performance just happened. On a talent show in the top 24, competing for the top 12… We shouldn’t be laughing at performances. So bad.

Yeh I think that’s what’s happening here. There is no wow factor, the judges comments are way away from the reality.

What a shamozzle this reboot is. Meghan needs to go as well, adding nothing but squealing now. “Love you” “period” ugh.

Embarrassing to call this Australian idol given the pedigree

3 Likes

Instead of a Touchdown it’s a Let Down :wink:

12 Likes

So like The Voice they’ll let the judges overshadow the artists and take all the headlines.

1 Like

Although far from a hit I don’t think it’s a big enough flop to get axed after one season but cutting a host and cutting a judge will be an easy way to cut costs.

2 Likes

Oh how the standards have fallen that 400k and barely making the top 10 in the demos is enough to get you renewed.

7 Likes