Australian Idol

Sounds like it. I guess they are a bit different if Idol sticks to the original format, it’s more about the finding new talent, the focus is on the contestants and growth. Whereas The Voice is a lot more about the judges, artists with experience and the audition with fewer live shows.

I hope they go down the path of having former Idol contestants as judges. Otherwise I don’t see the point of rebirthing the brand if it’s just going to be done new ensemble.

1 Like

What would you think of them bringing back the old judges?

I just can’t see where it fits - it’s pushed right to the end of the year in their show graphic but with 10 other series to get through I suspect it’ll get pushed to 2023, if it ever happens at all.

2 Likes

Not the full old judging panel. I think one of the old judges might be a nice touch… maybe Marcia.

2 Likes

What, and have a judge with an actual record industry background rather than another washed-up singer looking for a quick payday?

That won’t fly these days.

1 Like

I am just asking the question not making a suggestion.

To me when you say Australian idol I think touchdown

According to The Sunday Telegraph’s Annette Sharp, the revival of Australian Idol won’t go ahead this year, although there are still hopes it will air in 2023.

Australian Idol will now be produced by Eureka, following Fremantle’s increased shareholding in the production company last year.

I reckon 7 are full of crap about bringing this series to audiences, they’re just sitting on the rights so it doesn’t air on 9 or 10. It makes absolutely no sense for them to have The Voice, The X Factor and this.

9 Likes

I think if it doesn’t air this year it works well to air it next year as it would be 20 years since the first series. whether 7 continues to hold the option or lets it go and it ends up on another network is the question

XFactor? Are they bringing that back as well?

No, they have AGT.

Still wouldn’t put it past Seven to bring that back as well, even if they never get round to airing it.

Does look like Seven are paving the way though for Aus Idol to have a weekly slot by airing talent formats weekly on Sundays and shifting the reality to Mon to Wed. Looks like they’ll do that with The Voice and then I guess AGT as well.

1 Like

Definitely still on 7’s radar. Just created all the social for it:

2 Likes

Yeah they mentioned in the half yearly report on Monday.

Such a strange programming decision to have this and The Voice along with Got Talent. Fair enough if they picked up a different singing show, I Can See Your Voice, Alter Ego etc.

They’re also just relying on far too many legacy shows, especially from other networks. They tried a few new formats which failed cause they were poorly done and they’ve given up.

Was hoping they’d drop this and it would land with 10 to bring back.

1 Like

Let 10 swoop in with the new ones then.

I would say Australian Idol is definitely on the cards after Big Brothers poor performance this year.

2 Likes

Just hope that if it does air, that it stays true to its original series, and that there isn’t much change to the formst. We really don’t need many gimmicks added to it.

I’d have the show air in “three parts”:

• Auditions (with no back stories shown)
  • Top 24 (a quick cull of 24 down to 12)
  • Top 12 (like the good old days, but this time with back stories shown)
2 Likes

Better for 7 to drop BB instead and 10 to take it back after the inevitable flop of The Bachelor this year and take it back to basics.

1 Like

Wonder if it will all be pre recorded.