Australian Idol

Osher and James witll be on Studio 10 this morning

2 Likes

I see there are rumours that this won’t go ahead because like with all the shows they steal Seven want to pre-record the whole thing and do it on the cheap, forgetting what made the format successful in the first place. Fremantle are refusing to agree to that.

if there is any truth to these rumours and seven want to mess with it then fremantle should just tear up the rights contract if it is in their power and go to 10 who it seems obvious want the rights and that’s one of the reasons seven has held onto them.

I dont feel Australian Idol can be done without the live element in the later rounds and the spectacular location grand final which has previously been at the opera house.

How do you know 10 want the rights?

1 Like

I don’t know but it would make sense for them considering they were the previous broadcaster and still have the original host/s as regulars on the network. I saw a comment saying there was something missing from their upfronts last year and it could have been that they were hoping to get the idol rights back.

So?

They may not, I don’t know. I guess I would just like to see it back on 10. I feel it would be more successful on the original network.

If they wanted to they would’ve nabbed the rights long time ago. They have The Masked Singer now which is very successful for the network so they don’t necessarily need Idol.

I still think despite Seven’s insistence on Idol I reckon if The Voice does well they’ll just get rid of Idol.

1 Like

Idol probably wouldn’t sit as well on Ten now as it did in the noughties.

Like the US version it would need to be streamlined somewhat as these shows did become too bloated in the end, but performing live and having that viewer connection is crucial. I doubt it would be ten weeks of performances - I think the US is around 7 weeks now - but I think viewers following the journey of the contestants is important, not the journey already being determined before the premiere has even aired.

2 Likes

Is this even going to go ahead? There has been Zero talk about it…

7 have been pretty insistent that it’ll air in 2022, though considering they have renewed The Voice already who knows.

They could just be sitting on the rights, maybe they knew 10 were interested in them or something?

I thought we may have heard a whisper of a host, judge or even an audition call by now.

You may be right about sitting on the rights.

I don’t think seven would be just wasting money sitting on the rights to stop a network from airing a show that only has a 50/50 chance at success.

Considering Australia’s Got Talent got all the way to the audition call and then dropped the whole thing, don’t be surprised if Australian Idol is at the very least postponed.

1 Like

The current COVID lockdown in Sydney means it is impossible to schedule auditions.

Production on the show has been delayed due to various Coronavirus-related factors:

It’s never gonna happen. Especially with seven doubling down on the voice next year

2 Likes

Not sure how much longer Seven have the Licence for Idol for but would be great to see it return to 10 with Osher and James back as hosts.

2 Likes

New in 2022

Promoted at the Upfronts as LIVE.

The television icon returns to our screens after a 12-year hiatus, travelling around the country to find the next music superstars. The show that gave us Guy Sebastian, Jessica Mauboy, Shannon Noll, Anthony Callea, Casey Donovan, Ricki-Lee Coulter, Matt Corby and many more will be back, bigger and better than ever. Australian Idol is a Fremantle Australia and Eureka Productions co-production for the Seven Network.

So 2022 they will have both The Voice and Australian Idol airing I wonder…